Bustitution on the 22

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train_Traveler

I got a call from Amtrak yesterday that the 22 is using a bus between Taylor and Longview, at least the week of April 7th that I know of. Is this related to the Tower 55 work that's being done? I haven't gotten any notice about the return trip on the 21 the following week (yet).

A couple of years ago, I was on 22 that was also re routed. That was due to scheduled track work being done. The timing of the track work was that 22 was affected, but by the time 21 went thru the work was completed for the day and it was not affected.

Are you sure it is a bustitution and not a reroute? :huh: If 21 is not affected, it must return to Chicago somehow. On my trip, a person going from say Austin to north of Longview stayed on the train to Chicago thru the reroute. A person getting on in FTW was bused to LVW to get on the train.

I don't know how long it's for. They did say it was for scheduled track work, so I guess it's a reroute. I am in fact getting on in FTW and being bused to LVW, hopefully staying on the train to CHI (I paid for a roomette, I'd like to use it!). I just assumed it wasn't going to get done in one day. Generally when I see track work being done around here (non-Amtrak area I live in) it takes a lot longer than one day...

I notice on Amtrak's site that I can still buy a ticket (roomette too!) between TAY and FTW for the same day. I'm no expert on how this works, I live too far from any Amtrak station to be a frequent rider so I don't understand - if the 22 is being rerouted between TAY and LVW, how can they be selling a roomette between TAY and FTW??

Normally when trackwork on the UP is going on in East Texas, #21 is turned in Long view and # 22 only runs between SAS and FTW with Passengers and Crews between FTW and LVW being bused!

Last year the #22 was re-routed on the old MOPAC route through East Texas from Taylor to Rockdale, Palestine and into LVW with Passengers North of Taylor being bustituted to LVW where they boarded the #22 for CHI etc.(this is what Dave mentioned above)

As of today I can find no info on this Posted anywhere and the Austin Agents have NOT been advised of any reroutes or Bustitutions!

That's pretty strange, that Austin doesn't know about it - my travel date is 10 days away and they notified me two days ago. As I said, I don't know much about these processes but it seems like they'd all get the same information at the same time.

Because the roomette is part of the magic of the trip we are looking at paying a little extra to board in Taylor instead. But we had planned on parking in a Sundance Square garage (we're going to be gone TEN days and have already cleared it with garage security). I was reading an older post about parking, I think it was you, jimhudson, who had the information about parking in Taylor - very helpful - but what about leaving it there TEN days?

Taylor is the District Hdqs for UP with a busy 24/7 Freight Yard. There are Crew members and track gangs coming and going 24/7 and the Parking Lots are on both sides of the UP HDS (old MoPac Station/the Amtrak "Station" is a shed with Picnic Tables but the UP Guys are cool with Passengers waiting inside where there's restrooms/vending machines etc.) I've parked there for a day to a week without problems, its paved/lighted and lots of parked trucks/cars. Id say that parking next to the tracks is best instead of next to the road! Please keep us Posted if you get more info, I'll do the same!

Okay, first update: I spoke to an Amtrak agent this morning who told me this is NOT a reroute: that everyone getting on, even South of Taylor, will be getting off the train at Taylor and onto a bus. Although I don't consider the words of any agent to be the Gospel, she was very insistent that this is not a reroute.

I still think it's strange that other agents haven't heard of it.

OT: this is a very cool forum and I've decided that I'd like to join but don't see a way to upgrade from guest to member. When I try to sign up it tells me the email address I'm using is already in the database. Well, yeah it is, but as a guest...

:hi: Thanks for the Update, Im riding #22/#21 tomorrow on a Double Points/Bar-B-Q Day Trip to Taylor so Ill check with the Austin Agents and post any info they have, they are Excellent Agents very good about sharing whatever Amtrak gives them! (of course sometimes they are the last to Know, Left Hand vs. Right Hand! etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, first update: I spoke to an Amtrak agent this morning who told me this is NOT a reroute: that everyone getting on, even South of Taylor, will be getting off the train at Taylor and onto a bus. Although I don't consider the words of any agent to be the Gospel, she was very insistent that this is not a reroute.

I still think it's strange that other agents haven't heard of it.

OT: this is a very cool forum and I've decided that I'd like to join but don't see a way to upgrade from guest to member. When I try to sign up it tells me the email address I'm using is already in the database. Well, yeah it is, but as a guest...
See if you can log in, now. I just set your registration as having joined. If you have further problem, email me at: amtrakforum at gmail.com

Jim, thank you, I'll be watching the forum for what they tell you. You've been a huge help! I thought about the left hand-right hand thing after I posted that. Actually that's more typical, huh? Why should management tell them? It's a big fat secret, ya know...

(And yes, I made it on, and even changed my name since train_traveler is pretty unoriginal!)

Well, my personal problem's resolved - it finally occurred to me if I was willing to drive to TAY, why not just drive to LVW! It's a little further but I have 4 more hours in which to get there so it actually is more convenient for me. And the parking is free, and I got 50 bucks in an e-voucher I can use toward this EMY gathering I'm hearing about :-D

Well, my personal problem's resolved - it finally occurred to me if I was willing to drive to TAY, why not just drive to LVW! It's a little further but I have 4 more hours in which to get there so it actually is more convenient for me. And the parking is free, and I got 50 bucks in an e-voucher I can use toward this EMY gathering I'm hearing about :-D
Ooh, another one for the TE/SL "party train". :D

(no, I won't be on that party train, but will join up with the party in LAX)

Edit: And watch out guys, another gal to booster our ranks. :lol:

The Lead Agent in Austin told me today Tue 4/01 that the scheduled track work was @ Tower 55 in FTW and that Only those Boarding North of Taylor (Temple/McGregor /cleburne/ Ft Worth/ Dallas and Mineola) would be Bustituted to Longview on any future track work days in FTW!
Those that are already on the Train up to Taylor will stay on #22 on a Reroute on the Old MoPac Route thru Rockdale/Hearne/ Palestine and the Piney woods!

I suggest calling Amtrak Customer Service and if you get a agent that gives you a run around or plays dumb ask for a Supervisor and have them give you the official word for your day of travel!

I've been on this detour and its a nice trip and you get to avoid the Metro Plex and small town stops on the UP Line between TAY and Long view(technically youd be on BNSF tracks between TPL and FTW). The drive to Long view isn't anything Special, riding the Eagle even if it takes the Regular Route to LVW is Better! (Lunch in the Diner/CCC and Diner in East Texas is the way to roll!

The Lead Agent in Austin told me today Tue 4/01 that the scheduled track work was @ Tower 55 in FTW and that Only those Boarding North of Taylor (Temple/McGregor /cleburne/ Ft Worth/ Dallas and Mineola) would be Bustituted to Longview on any future track work days in FTW!
Those that are already on the Train up to Taylor will stay on #22 on a Reroute on the Old MoPac Route thru Rockdale/Hearne/ Palestine and the Piney woods!

I suggest calling Amtrak Customer Service and if you get a agent that gives you a run around or plays dumb ask for a Supervisor and have them give you the official word for your day of travel!

I've been on this detour and its a nice trip and you get to avoid the Metro Plex and small town stops on the UP Line between TAY and Long view(technically youd be on BNSF tracks between TPL and FTW). The drive to Long view isn't anything Special, riding the Eagle even if it takes the Regular Route to LVW is Better! (Lunch in the Diner/CCC and Diner in East Texas is the way to roll!
THIS

Jim, you've been away from BBQ for too long. :D

If that is the case, I would drive to Taylor if possible to board. The train ride on the detour route is great, and it is much better than driving. (And having lunch on the move is something you can't really do easily if you're driving - unless you stop first at Burger King or the like first.)

I would have gladly taken the reroute if I hadn't been BSed by the agent a couple of days ago. I looked at the reroute path you mentioned when you first mentioned it and thought it would be great. It's a part of Texas I've never seen and I've heard it's very beautiful. If the lead agent you spoke to is right then the agent I talked to who told me there was no reroute didn't play dumb or try to give me the runaround, she just lied.

I know the drive to Longview is a pain, especially though the metroplex, but once you get past that, I like it (it's a big change from the panhandle, I think the area is lovely).

The part of it my husband likes is that we can drive the morning of the trip and get to LVW the same day with time to spare. We aren't going to be able to do that for TAY and even FTW is a little too tight for comfort(we have to take care of some items before leaving and can't leave until the businesses open). We could take off a day early and stay overnight at TAY (we had thought about doing that in FTW) but it's an extra day my husband has to take off work that he doesn't want to. Two days ago I'd have done it anyway if I'd thought we could take the reroute. Now he's happy about not taking off another day and I don't know if I can sell him on changing it again.

I wish I had waited to hear from you before I went ahead and changed the plan to board in LVW. But the trip's a week away now and I was getting kind of antsy...

Beautiful and Texas are mutually exclusive.
The unspoilt parts can actually be quite pretty. Unfortunately, Texans don't seem to appreciate the native wilderness and have destroyed it whereever they can.
Hey Now! Texans Love the Land, its all the Wealthy "Investors", Yankees Flocking here and the Developer Hustlers that are trying to turn us into another SoCal ! The Prettiest Unspoiled Parts of Texas are the Piney Woods and Swamps in East/SE Texas and the Davis Mountains in West Texas! Parts of the Gulf Coast are still OK on the Barrier Islands and away from the Cities but the Rest of Texas is on a Fast Track to being the New LA!!! :( :help:

Beautiful and Texas are mutually exclusive.
The unspoilt parts can actually be quite pretty. Unfortunately, Texans don't seem to appreciate the native wilderness and have destroyed it whereever they can.
Hey Now! Texans Love the Land, its all the Wealthy "Investors", Yankees Flocking here and the Developer Hustlers that are trying to turn us into another SoCal ! The Prettiest Unspoiled Parts of Texas are the Piney Woods and Swamps in East/SE Texas and the Davis Mountains in West Texas! Parts of the Gulf Coast are still OK on the Barrier Islands and away from the Cities but the Rest of Texas is on a Fast Track to being the New LA!!! :( :help:
Part Aransas is the best beach in America. And the most laid back town. Their motto is " Livin the low life in Port A "

FYI: Track work around FTW and the Texas Eagle:

Per the Austin Agents Official Notification Info System, UP will be doing Track work in and around FTW on the following days resulting in a Reroute of #22 from Taylor to Long view via Rockdale/Hearne/Palestine into Longview! Passengers Boarding North of Taylor @ the Stops in Temple/McGregor/Cleburne/Ft Worth/Dallas and Mineola will be Bustituted to Longview! Train #21,the Southbound Eagle will run the Regular Route!

April 9,April 28,May 13,May 20,May 27!

More Trackwork will be scheduled in June and will be announced by UP!

Sent from my Motto G Smart Phone aboard the Texas Eagle #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back