Roomette vs. Superliner bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anne

While I can pay for a Superliner Bedroom, my common sense is making me feel guilty about paying so much money for a 2 night stay in a room on a train. A roomette has opened up (on the EB) and I was wondering if anyone has stayed in both type of rooms and is there that much difference in the rooms that we (me-age 61 and a child-age 4) will be uncomfortable in the roommette?

Both have one lower berth and one upper berth. The bedroom has a ladder to reach the upper berth, while the Roomette has two steps. There is more room in a bedroom, with it about 3/4 of the width of the car while the Roomette is less than 1/2 of the width of the car. A bedroom has an enclosed toilet and a sink in the room, while the occupants of a Roomette must use one of the four public rest rooms in the car.

The seating is also different. While the Roomette has 2 individual facing sets, the bedroom had a long "couch" type seat, plus a seat next to the window.

Not thinking about the cost....I have a good friend with a 2.5 year old. My husband and I both really enjoyed our roomette last trip west. We thought what a great way to travel with them! And thinking about it we decided a larger room was needed. Nap time would take up both seats unless you pulled the top down, and children like to move a lot so you would be roaming the train with the child as the roomette is not made for moving around. The bedroom, just glancing at one on the train is big enough for the child to walk around at least and they could nap with you in the room and both be comfortable. Better than coach. :)

There are others here with better info. Just my opinion after babysitting with a child of that age.

Yes, engineer is right. Having the bathroom connected is a major convenience. I had not thought of that.

I don't think you will be uncomfortable in a roomette. If you are not a particularly large person (like over 280 lbs), you can take the top bunk while the child takes the lower. If you ever need more space, it's fun to walk through the train to the Observation car. During the day, you can actually have the upper bunk pulled down and keep the seats in 'seat mode'. This will allow the child to nap in the upper bunk and you are there in the seats for safety. The biggest concern is getting tossed out of the top bunk. Honestly, though, almost impossible for a big person. There is a net to hold you in, but a small child could conceivably get around the net. Even if it's impossible, kids find ways to get in precarious situations.

The other Bedroom advantage is that it also has a shower. But its use is awkward if you're not familiar with railroad convenience bundling. The shower, vanity and toilet are all integrated into one module. The public showers are sometimes preferred by bedroom occupants.

This is good to know - about the seats being sittable when the top bunk is down. when My hubby and I travel, having 2 backpacks and 2 pc bags a camera bag and coats is just a bit crowded. Not so much that I am complaining. I love the roomette. But if the top bunk could be used for storage until night time, that would be good. I assume the car attendant would not mind if we did that? Thanks.

Some people find the Superliner roomette just too small and cramped, plus it has no toilet or sink. I just rode one yesterday with my spouse, and I personally find it amply comfortable. I even slept well in what I call "the coffin"--the upper bunk that has no window (unilke the Viewliner roomettes in the east.)

If I were made of money, I'd get the bedroom, but I am cool with the roomettes. Also, on the first leg of my trip I rode Viewliner roomette with toilet, and I now prefer no toilet in room and the several public restrooms they have downstairs. Just my preference when traveling with another person in room, even if it is my beloved!

Especially with your tiny companion, there should be room for your legs in your facing seats!

I traveled quite a bit in roomettes with my daughter as she was growing up. She did fine. I left the upper down all the time (with the net up) and it was a play area for her, especially when she was little (3 and 4 years old). She got here energy out climbing up and down from the upper on occasion. A roomette can be tight with 2 adults, but it is good for an adult and a child.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the fact that your traveling companion is a child makes a big difference. Many adults are uncomfortable in that upper bunk - it can seem small and claustrophobic. However, most children seem to like it - they see it as their own special play area.

You can also leave the upper bunk down during the day, so your 4-year old can nap under there. Unless you're above 6' tall, you'll be able to sit very comfortably in one of the seats while the bunk is down.

I think that the dealbreaker is going to be the bathroom. If you have the roomette, you'll have to accompany the 4-year-old down the hall every time or she goes to the restroom. Since the bedroom has its own bathroom, you can just lock the bedroom door when you need to use the restroom or shower, & won't have to worry about what he or she is up to.

MY main thought has to do with sleeping.

In a bedroom you rock head to foot which I didn't like.

In a roomette, you rock side to side.

( plus, while you have a restroom in the bedroom, if you are of any size larger than average, it's had to use it )

Thanks for all of the information you all have given me. I'm a small person, so the top bunk would be no problem for me, but it sounds like my granddaughter will have more fun in it than I would. The extra room in the bedroom sounds good for an active child, and also the bathroom in the room would be nice for her, and me, so I wouldn't have to take her to the bathroom all of the time. I'm not made of money by any means, but I do like to treat my kids and grand kids when I can. I will probably keep the bedroom and maybe try the roomette when I'm by myself sometime. Thanks again.

Ha! I already have more kids than I can handle, but thanks for the offer!

Just took a roomette with my 12 YO son from FTW to CHI. It was ok. I don't mind roomettes by myself, and we did fine, but for 2 nights, I would prefer the bedroom. Since you can swing it, I think you will not be disappointed. Taking my son AND wife for two nights in July, since there will be 3 of us, from FTW-CHI the. CHI-NOL, we booked 2 adjoining bedrooms to turn into a "suite". THAT is going to be a luxury! But, we're paying with points, and since its the wife's first time overnight (and 2 nights in a row, at that), figured we better get it right!

Again, this is a pointless argument! You can ONLY ride a Viewliner if you're going Eastbound and ONLY ride Superliner if you're going Westbound. Why argue and make snooty remarks to those who don't book "roomette with bathroom" if those said people aren't traveling that direction? Dumb- just dumb.

While I can pay for a Superliner Bedroom, my common sense is making me feel guilty about paying so much money for a 2 night stay in a room on a train. A roomette has opened up (on the EB) and I was wondering if anyone has stayed in both type of rooms and is there that much difference in the rooms that we (me-age 61 and a child-age 4) will be uncomfortable in the roommette?
I have traveled in both on SSLTD 1 and 2.

The bedroom it is nice to have your own toilet and shower in the room and the extra floor space. I do not like the fact that the sink is right at the door so shaving and brushing teeth were done with curtains closed on the door. I love having a full length sofa to streatch out on to nap in the day time. Depending on which way the car is hooked up, you could be riding backwards all day on the sofa.

Roomete is nice with no complaints.

Again, this is a pointless argument! You can ONLY ride a Viewliner if you're going Eastbound and ONLY ride Superliner if you're going Westbound. Why argue and make snooty remarks to those who don't book "roomette with bathroom" if those said people aren't traveling that direction? Dumb- just dumb.
Nobody is arguing or making snooty remarks. The OP asked if she should get a roomette or bedroom on the Superliner, and everyone answered politely.

One person provided some info about Viewliners as just a comparative story to back up their reasoning for preferring one or the other on the Superliner. Nobody said she should ride a Viewliner or that she should definitely book a bedroom.

There were no insults or snarky language until you popped your head into the thread and displayed your complete lack of reading comprehension coupled with yet another insulting remark toward the members of this forum.

Right now, you are a guest. If you're going to continue to make disparaging remarks toward us, at least have the decency to either join the forum and create a profile and posting history or avoid it altogether. It's obvious you don't like it or anyone on it, so why do you keep coming back? Just change the channel, so to speak.

Regarding the Superliner/Viewliner comment ...its not the direction of travel (eastbound/westbound) but rather where you are which dictates equipment.

Anything more than 12 hours or so, I'd go for a bedroom. One night or less, a roomette. Last time in a Roomette, we stayed in daytime mode and napped coach style. I'm not a large person but, I really don't care for the upper berth in the roomette and that was part of my decision to stay sitting. When the bedroom is set up for sleeping, there is still a little room to move around. Not so much so with the roomette.

What??!! Viewliners are used on trains in the eastern US where clearances don't allow Superliners. A train is either equipped with Viewliner equipment or Superliner equipment, regardless of the direction it is traveling. Dumb? Well, not knowing facts before calling someone dumb is a bit beyond dumb.

What??!! Viewliners are used on trains in the eastern US where clearances don't allow Superliners. A train is either equipped with Viewliner equipment or Superliner equipment, regardless of the direction it is traveling. Dumb? Well, not knowing facts before calling someone dumb is a bit beyond dumb.
You're wrong dear. What you said makes no sense. Viewliners are ONLY eastbound trains! Superliners go Westbound. I don't care if a train is equipped for a Viewliner or not- that wasn't the point I was making.

A lot of people get into arguments on whether or not to get a Viewliner or Superliner Roomette. I AM saying- this is a pointless discussion, because it depends where the person is traveling. Don't believe me? Go to Amtrak's website and put in a trip going Westbound- you won't find ANY Viewliner trains.

People are being quick to call me rude, but look at the evidence and responses I have to put up with.

Anne,

I do think you'll be glad you got the bedroom instead of a roomette for all the reasons mentioned by others and especially about the bathroom for a child. You'll most likely have a chance to look into a roomette and I think you will feel you made a good choice. One problem with a roomette is that when the beds are made up you simply don't have but a few inches to stand up in.

I hope you come back and give us a little trip report about how everything went!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back