San Antonio stop on Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am taking the Sunset Limited out of New Orleans arriving in San Antonio at 12:04am, am I able to stay in the station until I catch my 7am Texas Eagle to Fort Worth? Or is there somewhere else safe to stay the 7 hours?

If I am taking the Sunset Limited out of New Orleans arriving in San Antonio at 12:04am, am I able to stay in the station until I catch my 7am Texas Eagle to Fort Worth? Or is there somewhere else safe to stay the 7 hours?
June: The Station is Small and the Seats are Uncomfortable! There will also be lots of People Waiting on the Trains and Street People coming and going to use the Bathroom (Not real Clean! :help: ), Pahnandle etc. There is a Dennys a few blocks towards downtown that is open 24 /7, and lots of Passengers (and Night People) go there, its Safe but nothing memorable as far as Food /Drink etc. Id recommend looking into getting a Hotel Room for the Six-Seven Hours or so you are in San Antonio! There are Several within a Couple of Blocks from the Station (Holiday Inn Express, Best Western, Sttaybridge Suites,, where the Train Crews stay! etc.) Google it up on the Travel Sites and see what kind of Deals you can make, they usually include Breakfast too and Ive stayed several times at all Three for under a $100 a night, they're all Nice Clean,Safe Places!! :) There is also a very nice La Quinta High Rise behind the Dennys and currently IINM there is a 750 Point Promo going on between AGR and La Quinta, check into this??

If thats not feasible youll be Safe in the Station, youll just have to put up with a loud TV playing Infommercials and Very Bright Lighting! FYI, Breakfast does start on the Eagle after the Train gets out of San Antonio, usually about 7:15- 7:30AM!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ask your car attendant you may be able to stay in the Sunset Limited until about 2:30. This would reduce some of the wait time. The chairs don't have armrests so you can lie flat, but it is very small and there is little to do around the station. Aside from the Denny's there is a dive bar across the street from the station, but nothing else in the area is open.

June: The Station is Small and the Seats are Uncomfortable! There will also be lots of People Waiting on the Trains and Street People coming and going to use the Bathroom (Not real Clean! :help: ), Pahnandle etc. There is a Dennys a few blocks towards downtown that is open 24 /7, and lots of Passengers (and Night People) go there, its Safe but nothing memorable as far as Food /Drink etc. Id recommend looking into getting a Hotel Room for the Six-Seven Hours or so you are in San Antonio! There are Several within a Couple of Blocks from the Station (Holiday Inn Express, Best Western, Sttaybridge Suites,, where the Train Crews stay! etc.) Google it up on the Travel Sites and see what kind of Deals you can make, they usually include Breakfast too and Ive stayed several times at all Three for under a $100 a night, they're all Nice Clean,Safe Places!! :) There is also a very nice La Quinta High Rise behind the Dennys and currently IINM there is a 750 Point Promo going on between AGR and La Quinta, check into this??

If thats not feasible youll be Safe in the Station, youll just have to put up with a loud TV playing Infommercials and Very Bright Lighting! FYI, Breakfast does start on the Eagle after the Train gets out of San Antonio, usually about 7:15- 7:30AM!

Lots of great info. Thanks for the info on Denny's that would be a good place to go, is it safe to walk there at night or should I take a taxi at least one way? I am traveling the next day to my brother's in Ftw, so really do not need the hotel but thanks for the info on that too. I did not know that breakfast is served right after leaving San Antonio, that is great.

It's perfectly Safe!(There will be a few Pahnandlers asking for Change but nothing to worry about!) When you get off the Train go past the AMStation towards the Old Sunset Depot and the SP Steam Engine Parked beside it, youll come to Commerce Street, turn left and walk West a Couple of Blocks under the IH37 Underpass towards Downtown! The Denny's is on your Right about Two Blocks past the Underpass, you can't miss it! You might even want to walk on to the River Walk (Couple of more Blocks on your Right to River Walk Mall, Marriot Hotel etc.) and take a Quick look around, it's sort of a Bourbon Street on the Water but worth a Visit! If you eat or drink @ the Joints along the River bring $$$ or Plastic, they're typical Tourist Traps! :angry2: The Alamo is also Closed @ night but is Lighted and lots of Tourists are in Alamo Plaza taking Pics etc.

It's perfectly Safe!(There will be a few Pahnandlers asking for Change but nothing to worry about!) When you get off the Train go past the AMStation towards the Old Sunset Depot and the SP Steam Engine Parked beside it, youll come to Commerce Street, turn left and walk West a Couple of Blocks under the IH37 Underpass towards Downtown! The Denny's is on your Right about Two Blocks past the Underpass, you can't miss it! You might even want to walk on to the River Walk (Couple of more Blocks on your Right to River Walk Mall, Marriot Hotel etc.) and take a Quick look around, it's sort of a Bourbon Street on the Water but worth a Visit! If you eat or drink @ the Joints along the River bring $$$ or Plastic, they're typical Tourist Traps!
angry.gif
The Alamo is also Closed @ night but is Lighted and lots of Tourists are in Alamo Plaza taking Pics etc.
here is a photo of said panhandlers what ever u do dont give them money :hi: :hi:

DSCN0143_zps1dbfa18b.jpg
[/url]

It's perfectly Safe!(There will be a few Pahnandlers asking for Change but nothing to worry about!) When you get off the Train go past the AMStation towards the Old Sunset Depot and the SP Steam Engine Parked beside it, youll come to Commerce Street, turn left and walk West a Couple of Blocks under the IH37 Underpass towards Downtown! The Denny's is on your Right about Two Blocks past the Underpass, you can't miss it! You might even want to walk on to the River Walk (Couple of more Blocks on your Right to River Walk Mall, Marriot Hotel etc.) and take a Quick look around, it's sort of a Bourbon Street on the Water but worth a Visit! If you eat or drink @ the Joints along the River bring $$$ or Plastic, they're typical Tourist Traps!
angry.gif
The Alamo is also Closed @ night but is Lighted and lots of Tourists are in Alamo Plaza taking Pics etc.
here is a photo of said panhandlers what ever u do dont give them money :hi: :hi:

DSCN0143_zps1dbfa18b.jpg
[/url]
The Guy without the Hat Looks OK but that other Character really looks Suspicious! Hope someone Notified Security! :giggle:

angry.gif

DSCN0143_zps1dbfa18b.jpg
[/url]
The Guy without the Hat Looks OK but that other Character really looks Suspicious! Hope someone Notified Security! :giggle:
the guy with out the hat i saw his picture in a BBQ joint in taylor,

the rumor is he sneaks onto amtrak trains, if u see him call amtrak police :giggle: :giggle: :hi:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back