What to do, What to do!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I always rode the Southern

Service Attendant
As y'all know from reading my posts about getting the most bang for our AGR points I have booked the trip and thought I had it perfect!.

Now I'm getting really nervous reading about the cancellation of the CZ for what looks like all of Sept. Leaving TPA on the 9th of October we are supposed to leave CHI the 11th and arrive in San Fran on the 13th.

the wedding is on the 15th.

2 things-must be there by then and no alternative flying for me.

Should I rely on the Zephyr being back by then, or rebook the trip now via the SWC and CS?

I feel the pressure of not being able to switch to the Chief last minute if I go with my current reservation, and feel the pressure of not doing it right now, but waiting a few weeks to see, because of limited sleeper space.
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
As y'all know from reading my posts about getting the most bang for our AGR points I have booked the trip and thought I had it perfect!.

Now I'm getting really nervous reading about the cancellation of the CZ for what looks like all of Sept. Leaving TPA on the 9th of October we are supposed to leave CHI the 11th and arrive in San Fran on the 13th.

the wedding is on the 15th.

2 things-must be there by then and no alternative flying for me.

Should I rely on the Zephyr being back by then, or rebook the trip now via the SWC and CS?

I feel the pressure of not being able to switch to the Chief last minute if I go with my current reservation, and feel the pressure of not doing it right now, but waiting a few weeks to see, because of limited sleeper space.
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
The Zephyr is cancelled for all of September. I would recommend rebooking.

What to do, What to do!
The Zephyr is completely screwed up right now and based on what Amtrak has said so far I don't see that changing anytime soon. Even if they do managed to bring everything back at the start of October there is no telling what sort of schedule it will be on or how well it will be able to keep to it or how much risk there is of it being canceled yet again. If you need to be somewhere at a specific date then Amtrak is already a risk. Knowingly including a route that is having one of the worst years of its entire existence and is destined to remain disrupted for the foreseeable future is asking for trouble in my view. The SWC to CS sounds like a much better option in light of all the troubles and difficulties in recent months.

Where does anyone get info that the Ca Zephyr is canceled through September? The latest I see is a resumption of full service Sept 10 with partial service starting 9/3. I'm not saying it isn't true, and certainly not saying it may not be true, but I wonder where the info comes from.

Where does anyone get info that the Ca Zephyr is canceled through September? The latest I see is a resumption of full service Sept 10 with partial service starting 9/3. I'm not saying it isn't true, and certainly not saying it may not be true, but I wonder where the info comes from.
amtrak.com

Try booking a trip from CHI - EMY during all of September. It shows up as sold out. My understanding is that they are running the train between DEN - EMY, though. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

To the OP, I would keep an eye on sleeper availability on the SWC/CS route and consider rebooking.

amtrak.com

Try booking a trip from CHI - EMY during all of September. It shows up as sold out. My understanding is that they are running the train between DEN - EMY, though. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

To the OP, I would keep an eye on sleeper availability on the SWC/CS route and consider rebooking.
I had a very pleasant, lengthy conversation this afternoon with a most helpful AGR agent who advised that yes the Zephyr is cancelled until the end of Sept. because of freight congestion and low priority. So after we worked out the alternative possibility,I gave up my reservations on the Zephyr and rebooked the SWC. The only way to get that booking was changing from TPA to ABQ for 2 zone award and then ABQ to SFC for a 1 zone award. She kept wanting to book it ABQ to LAX and then LAX to SFC., and I kept saying no, no, no!
mosking.gif

Kept the original Res # so nothing changed from TPA to CHI.

Got the last BR to ABQ and will then ride coach to Flagstaff, then back to BR for the rest of the trip. I don't feel as bad as I thought I would. I have peace of mind, can hopefully do the Zephyr next time, and I get to take the Southern portion of the CS again with the PPC.
biggrin.gif
Not gonna complain about that! Not even gonna complain that I get stuck with BR A, cause the alternative is coach for a very long time.
mda.gif

Sounds like a great trip! Enjoy. I would keep calling/checking to see if they can eliminate the coach portion of your trip, too, since it is all booked with AGR points.

Back