Short-Term Baggage Storage at NY Penn Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmthru

Train Attendant
Is there are baggage storage area at NYP? I'll have a few hours to waste after arriving NY from a cruise. I don't feel like having to sit around the waiting area for 5 hours until departure. I know they have checked baggage service but the train I am taking has no checked baggage.

Yes, if you go to the baggage area you can day check your bags for I believe $5 or $6 per bag. Note: You will need to show both a photo ID and your same day Amtrak ticket to day check your bags.

If you have some way of gaining access to the Club Acela, either first/sleeper class travel, Select Plus status, or one of the coupons; then you can leave your bags for free inside the club.

Yes, if you go to the baggage area you can day check your bags for I believe $5 or $6 per bag. Note: You will need to show both a photo ID and your same day Amtrak ticket to day check your bags.
Does NYP require a train ticket for this? PHL does not. But I know policies (and prices) vary station to station.

Does NYP require a train ticket for this? PHL does not. But I know policies (and prices) vary station to station.
Yes, one is supposed to present a valid ticket. Oddly enough, it can be either an Amtrak ticket or a NJT ticket, since NJT and Amtrak work rather closely together. You cannot however use an LIRR ticket.

If possible have smaller bills. I had a had to straighten one clerk out when she refused to change a 20. I asked for her supervisor, and he made change with no problem. If you go look for change, the shops will ask you to buy something.

Thank for the answers. Even though the luggage will stored for a few hours it will be worth the price not having to drag everything around while we get lunch.

Must the train ticket be for a train later that same day or can it be for a train that you have just arrived on?

I am arriving in the morning and would like to store my bag for the day until I catch a flight in the evening.

Thanks for your help.

Must the train ticket be for a train later that same day or can it be for a train that you have just arrived on?

I am arriving in the morning and would like to store my bag for the day until I catch a flight in the evening.

Thanks for your help.
Kiwi,

It can be for any train that day, so you are all set. Just be sure to save your ticket stub, have photo ID, and the required money to pay the fee.

I wish I'd known this last year. Asked several different people in Penn and they said there was no day-checking in Penn or Grand Central.

I wish I'd known this last year. Asked several different people in Penn and they said there was no day-checking in Penn or Grand Central.
There probably isn't in Grand Central; but there most certainly is in Penn.
Since the Empire service pulled out of GCT there is no reason to have checked baggage service. There used to be a parcel room opposite track 29 or so but I think it's long gone. I didn't see just where you are headed but if you're not in need of your luggage can you wait on a later train that does have checked baggage? That way you could check it and forget it.

It can be for any train that day, so you are all set. Just be sure to save your ticket stub, have photo ID, and the required money to pay the fee.
Then how does it work for an NJT ticket? Does it have to be an NYP ticket?

Also, based on the post above about change, I assume the $5 or 6 must be in exact change.

Then how does it work for an NJT ticket? Does it have to be an NYP ticket?

Also, based on the post above about change, I assume the $5 or 6 must be in exact change.
I don't know if they insist on a NJT ticket to/from NY Penn or if they will accept just any valid same day NJT ticket.

Unless you hit them first thing in the morning like Steve4031 did, they should have change.

i am traveling to NY Penn station want to do some sight seeing before check in time can I leave my bags someplace??

Alan B

Is it safe to leave the bags at the Club Acela (we have first-class tickets for next Tuesday on the Acela) as opposed to checking them at the bag check?

Alan B

Is it safe to leave the bags at the Club Acela (we have first-class tickets for next Tuesday on the Acela) as opposed to checking them at the bag check?
I believe many people have left bags in Club Acela, including myself, with no problems. Just don't leave anything too valuable or tempting there.

The CA NYP is ok to leave your bags but like jb64 said don't leave anything valuable in your bags! It's nothing like CHI's Metropolitan Lounge where it's guarded by a Red Cap all day. I believe the only CA that doesn't have a place to store bags in BOS. I trust my bags at PHL. They have closets there. Or sometimes I've been instructed to put them in the rear conference room. They weren't touched there. :)

Our Amtrack train gets into Pen Station at 4:30. We are getting dinner and then seeing a show then going to our apartment. Will Amtrack still let us leave our stuff there and will they be open when we get out of the show to get our luggage back?

It probably depends on what time your show starts and how long it runs. Baggage closes at 9:45 PM, and I'd say that to play things safe, you'd need to be there no later than 9:30 PM.

And yes, Amtrak allows for day checking at I believe $5 a bag when you show your same day Amtrak ticket.

It probably depends on what time your show starts and how long it runs. Baggage closes at 9:45 PM, and I'd say that to play things safe, you'd need to be there no later than 9:30 PM.

And yes, Amtrak allows for day checking at I believe $5 a bag when you show your same day Amtrak ticket.
Does Penn Station have self service locker storage that we could put our stuff in? Because the show probably won't get out until 10:30 or 10:45.

Does Penn Station have self service locker storage that we could put our stuff in? Because the show probably won't get out until 10:30 or 10:45.
No. It's considered a hazard, as one could easily plant a bomb that way.

No. It's considered a hazard, as one could easily plant a bomb that way.
Wonder why Chicago still has Lockers? Could it be the old "Everything across the Hudson River Doesn't Exist!" Syndrome??

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter missed her train from orlando to nyc on friday. The train was delayed and was told it will depart at 2:50pm at she had time to get something to eat with the kids before it departs. She had checked in and her bags. she came back and the train was leaving. She is still in orlando but her baggages is here in nyc (penn station). I was told that she has to make the claim - unfortunately she is still in orlando. Im her mother is there a way that I can get her bags. She has been calling baggage claims leaving messages but no one has returned her calls. I have a picture ID of her. What can I do? can someone call her back

- Dolly Cutrera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back