What's the difference between types of purchased seats?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shytown

Train Attendant
I'm looking to book a fast trip to Cleveland over the holidays and there are several options on 2 different trains.

I only need to reserve a coach seat.

On each route for the different days I'm considering, the "lower level coach seats" are always sold out leaving only the "reserved coach seats" available. What does this mean?

(I've never taken Amtrak so I'm a newbie at this - ha!)

Thanks.

I'm looking to book a fast trip to Cleveland over the holidays and there are several options on 2 different trains.
I only need to reserve a coach seat.

On each route for the different days I'm considering, the "lower level coach seats" are always sold out leaving only the "reserved coach seats" available. What does this mean?

(I've never taken Amtrak so I'm a newbie at this - ha!)

Thanks.
The lower level coach seats are on the lower level of the bi level superliner coaches, and reserved coach seats are on the upper level. Both types of seats are the same, just on different levels.

Some people think it is quieter on the lower level because there are fewer people in the lower level.

I have also heard that people with limited mobility find it easier to sit there and avoid the steps.

In the sleeper cars, the family bedroom and handicapped room are located on the lower level.

When I am traveling in a roomette on a Superliner, I prefer the lower level.

As said, the "lower level seat" is on the lower level, and the "reserved seat" is on the upper level. Advantage of the lower level is it is generally quieter, the restrooms and entry/exit door are on the lower level. Advantage of the upper level is that many feel the views are better and the only passage to other cars (including the Diner and Sightseer Lounge) is via the upper level, but you have to use the stairs every time you want to use the restroom or enter/exit the train!

By the way, while they sometimes carry different prices, there is no specific premium for them. They are just in inventory as different sets, and therefore have different demand parameters. That is, they may go up in price quicker then regular coach seats. If you don't mind riding up high, you're better off with the regular seats.

If it is your first time take the regular/top seats. The view out the top windows is great.

I agree the view is much better from the upper level. If you want to go between cars it's only possible from the upper level. On the other hand it is a real challenge for any one who has trouble climbing stairs. The stairs are very narrow and have a turn in them. If your going to carry luggage to store in the overhead racks it's somewhat difficult. I always store my larger case in the luggage storage area on the lower level and only carry my small bag up the stairs.

Well, if you are coming to Cleveland on the Lake Shore Limited, it might be a bit tough to get a lower level coach seat as the LSL uses single-level equipment. :blink:

The Capital Limited does use two-level Superliner equipment.

Well, if you are coming to Cleveland on the Lake Shore Limited, it might be a bit tough to get a lower level coach seat as the LSL uses single-level equipment. :blink:
Well there's always the Penthouse Suite if the_traveler isn't using it! :lol: ((Gotta be the Cap if Amtrak.com is showing lower level sold out unless they started selling steerage on the underside of the Lake! :lol:

Well there's always the Penthouse Suite if the_traveler isn't using it! :lol:
Do you think I rent it to anyone? :huh: (I sometimes don't even rent it to myself! :lol: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back