Bridge vs Trestle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a technical difference between a bridge and a trestle?TIA
I'm not sure my explaination would be exactly correct, but I'll try.

A bridge is a structure that connects two or more points allowing access across railways, rivers, streams, ravenes, etc., whereas a trestle is a framework structure that some long bridges are built upon. That framework consists of vertical, slanted and cross peices that are used to support the bridge.

Trestles are similar in nature to viaducts except for the fact that viaducts consists of a number of short concrete or masonry spans supported by piers or towers and not what was described in the previous paragraph.

A bridge with a trestle is technically referred to a "trestle bridge," but it's usually referred to simply as trestle!

Definition of trestle from Merrian-Webster.com:
a braced framework of timbers, piles, or steelwork for carrying a road or railroad over a depression.
Does it work for a recession too? :blink:
Yeah, and if you're trespassing on it when a train comes by, a panic!

icon4.gif
:D

Definition of trestle from Merrian-Webster.com:
a braced framework of timbers, piles, or steelwork for carrying a road or railroad over a depression.
Does it work for a recession too? :blink:
Yeah, and if you're trespassing on it when a train comes by, a panic!

icon4.gif
:D
Panic? I know the feeling. I live near a fairly long trestle and when I was a kid decided to try walking across it.

Some questions do come to mind when you're about to cross like; how do I escape if I suddenly see a train approaching?
t3621.gif
Do I climb down the side, jump into the river, slip down between the tiles, do I even fit between the tiles?

Thank goodness I never had to find out and had no further desire to try again once I crossed, but I'll tell you it's not a very secure feeling when you're half way across. The only thing you can think while crossing is... "keep your butt moving you donkey and don't stop to stretch and savor the moment!
m1902.gif

I doubt it, but if anyone has ever seen the Family Guy episode where Peter, Joe, Quagmire, and Cleveland walk over a bridge you get a pretty funny scene that ensues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back