Amtrak : Best Kept Secrets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However my experience last January on Amtrak - from Montreal to Albany, Chicago, St paul and then Seattle which I archives in ...

I found out that there is normally only 2 outlets per car, they are located in the middle of the car and frequently hidden by the car seat (it is difficult to plug in to that outlet since it is only half visible). I wish an Amtrak staff can tell us here why this practice is adapted in this day of cell phones Ipod and laptop.

This message was posted quite a while ago, and I'm wondering if anybody has been ridden Coach on the Empire Builder recently, who could discuss recent upgrades, if any, to the Superliner coach cars (outlets, etc.) and Diner & Sightseer cars. I last traveled this route in December 2004, but just purchased tickets for August for St. Paul > East Glacier > Seattle > St. Paul. I'm really looking forward to a summer ride, plus a 2 night stay at East Glacier!

Tuba-IA

Great forum, and wonderful thread! I'm an occassional rider, but and enthusiatic support of Amtrak. Just did a R/T on the CNO, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I'd appreciate comments from others on tipping guidelines when riding Amtrak. There are some great attendants, and it would be nice to know that I am adequately expressing my appreciation.

I did a search for "tips" and "tipping", but didn't have any luck. Many thanks!
General Guidelines: Tipping is NOT required, but is considered correct for the service crew personnel on the train. Recommendations: Snack bar attendant: roughly 10%. Dining car: %15 of menu prices (sleeping car passengers may want to note this when ordering their meals). Coaches: the consensus is that in most cases tips are not necessary, but if special service is given, the guidelines for a sleeping car attendant applies. Sleepers: See the next section. Train crew is never to be tipped.

Tipping a Sleeping Car Attendant: The sleeping car attendant that will greet you when you board the train will be with you throughout your journey (except possibly on the Sunset Limited where they change in New Orleans) and will be changing your room configuration at least twice a day, and performing other services, so it behooves you to get on their best side -- and they on yours. Here are your options for tipping a Sleeping Car Attendant:

Some people recommend tipping the attendant at the first opportunity -- say $20 for what will be a 2 night trip. The idea here is to "pay" for a good level of service up front, to possibly give you a leg up on other passengers, so to speak.

Others say one should wait until the trip is over and tip according to the level of service provided -- if for example you hardly ever saw the attendant and they did nothing much for you beyond the absolute minimum, then no tip or a very small one is appropriate.

Others suggest tipping the attendant in the morning if the service over the past day or part of day has been satisfactory or better. $5-$10 is appropriate.

Others (yes. there are some) suggest that Amtrak Sleeping Car attendants are not at all badly paid for their hours of service and thus should not needed to be tipped at all.

You could pick any of the options above and not be "wrong".

Personally, we believe tipping is appropriate, and don't recommend the fourth option. We go with the second one -- tip at the end according to level of service. For reasonable service for (say) 2 nights for a couple in a Roomette, we would tip $20. This is probably the most popular option of those above -- though many people just never even think of tipping the attendant.

We also go out of our way to be friendly to the attendants and helpful to them in whatever way we can -- basically to treat them well. Our experience has been that a big smile and friendly greeting gets one that little extra without any need to promise compensation up front.

mtrak does not endorse this page and other associated On Track On Line pages, nor does it sponsor this or any other On Track On Line page. Amtrak sources were used to compile or confirm some of the information here, but this does not represent official Amtrak information, nor is this information endorsed by Amtrak.

Personally, we believe tipping is appropriate, and don't recommend the fourth option. We go with the second one -- tip at the end according to level of service. For reasonable service for (say) 2 nights for a couple in a Roomette, we would tip $20. This is probably the most popular option of those above -- though many people just never even think of tipping the attendant.
I've only ever traveled on Amtrak in coach, and I would suggest that coach attendants are just as deserving as sleeper attendants for gratuities; they have more passengers and much more variety of customer encounters to deal with... $5, $10 maybe $20 for a long trip... on LD routes it's a nice way to say thanks for making your coach trip as comfortable as possible.

*j* :blink:

Going on my second Amtrak trip next month.

I've been to Florida and back once, but slept in coach and used the snack car.

This time we're going from Philadelphia to Chicago to Sacramento.

We've got a roomette booked and according to the information it says that meals

are free (included in the price) in the dining car.

I've checked out the sample menus, etc.

Does that mean we can order anything on the menu, or are only certain

meals included. Does the included in your ticket cost include items such as beverages (sodas),

desserts, appetizers? In other words, is there anything that I'd have to pay extra for?

(other than tipping the server).

Also, we've got a lower level roomette (room 012). Is there room to store a typical

sized carry-on suitcase (9" x 14" x 21")?

How safe are the rooms? If I'm in a different area of the train, would anyone come in

and go through our stuff?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Going on my second Amtrak trip next month.I've been to Florida and back once, but slept in coach and used the snack car.

This time we're going from Philadelphia to Chicago to Sacramento.

We've got a roomette booked and according to the information it says that meals

are free (included in the price) in the dining car.
The only thing you have to pay extra for is appetizers and alcoholic beverages. One complete meal, salad, main course, dessert, is included for each person in the room at no charge. If you were really hungry and ordered two meals, you'd pay for the second one.

I've checked out the sample menus, etc.Does that mean we can order anything on the menu, or are only certain

meals included. Does the included in your ticket cost include items such as beverages (sodas),

desserts, appetizers? In other words, is there anything that I'd have to pay extra for?

(other than tipping the server).
See above,

Also, we've got a lower level roomette (room 012). Is there room to store a typicalsized carry-on suitcase (9" x 14" x 21")?
You can get a small bag in the room with you, but being on the lower level, the baggage storage area is right there and it might be more comfortable to leave it there. It is safe and rarely, if at all, is there a theft problem.

How safe are the rooms? If I'm in a different area of the train, would anyone come inand go through our stuff?

Thanks in advance for the info.
The rooms only lock when you are in them. When you leave to go eat or go tot eh lounge car, slide the door shut and pull the inside curtain shut. Again, very safe. Don;t leave things loose in the room such as a purse, wallet, watch, etc, though. No need to invite temptation. The lower level room doesn't have the traffic in the hallway that the upstairs room have. as it is "dead-end" and only folks going to the other rooms on that level might pass your room.

In other words, is there anything that I'd have to pay extra for?
Besides the 3-meals-per-day in the Dining Car, they have a snack bar in the Lounge Car with service most of the day (closed overnight). Lots of tasty items, but financially you're on your own here.

If I'm in a different area of the train, would anyone come in and go through our stuff?
One advantage of the Sleeping Cars is that (ideally and in principle) only first-class passengers have access. Anybody else trying to get in or walk through would normally be turned back by Train Staff.

To be honest with you, you can pretty much leave your stuff in the overhead rack in coach, too. I mean, don't leave obviously valuable items in plain sight! But most people who ride coach are not exactly wealthy, so it would be silly to assume that there is anything valuable in their stuff. There may or may not be- and leave your Louis Vuitton luggage at home- but the chance is low enough that people aren't going to risk searching a bag for it.

If they go for your bag it is because they know there is something of value that they can casually enough grab that it doesn't interest other passengers. A man walking up and down the car rummaging in the luggage racks invites questions. Especially if you talk to a few people in your coach such that they know the bag being rummaged through is yours.

Again, don't carry the Hope Diamond in your bag, and don't leave anything of salable value in plain sight, but thefts on trains are not all that common- in sleeper class, thieves don't ride and can't easily get in. In coach class, too many people might be watching and ask awkward questions.

Years ago (late 1980s) on an Amtrak trip to Massachusetts, I recall the stop in New York and how policemen came onto the train while it waited as a precaution. We were told to take more care of our belongings while the train was in the station.

Last year on the Crescent, from NOL to PHL, we left our laptop and camera bag in the coach overhead rack. Our camera was always with us, except going to the restroom, never had a problem.

On our trip from NOL to Greenwood MS on the CNO, we went in Superliner sleeper, leaving laptop in room. Don't think theft is a problem, but the same as anywhere else, don't advertise what you have, and nothing will happen.

Donna n Paul Scott, La. BNSF mp149.1 Lafayette subdivision

We were told to take more care of our belongings while the train was in the station.
This makes sense. Only in a Station would non-passengers have any chance to get at things, and only in a Station is anything likely to actually leave the train.

Once on a long-distance train I was on, there was a passenger couple doubling as thieves, quickly and quietly emptying one lady's purse while she was in the restroom. Later on the same trip, I invited my seat-mate (a young lady from overseas) to come to the lounge with me and watch the mountains. She preferred not to. While I was away, she left her own purse on her seat unattended, and lost all of her travel funds. We pretty much knew who was responsible, but none of us were eye-witnesses.

At the end of the trip, I saw the suspect couple in the Station complaining to Amtrak that THEY had been "robbed" on board, and demanding special treatment (like a free night in a hotel) as compensation. In this, at least, they did not succeed.

A good way to prove theft is to make a quick notation of a random five bill serial numbers and ask the person of they would mind you, in there and the conductors presence, checking their bills against your list. If they object, ask why.

I tried to find the response but was unable, some one mentioned about a diagram that shows sleeping car room layouts, could you please give me a link where I could find this information. Reason being, I am taking the CZ next month and have a roomette reserved, number two, and would like to know where it is located? Is it an upper or lower room? Sorry for the dumb question, I know the Amtrak site has the virtual tour but it does not give room numbers in the diagrams. Also can anyone offer advice for getting from Glenwood Springs station to hotel on July 4'th. I really want to rent a car from Enterprise but they are not open on the fourth of July. Thanks for any advice or information you can offer.

I tried to find the response but was unable, some one mentioned about a diagram that shows sleeping car room layouts, could you please give me a link where I could find this information. Reason being, I am taking the CZ next month and have a roomette reserved, number two, and would like to know where it is located? Is it an upper or lower room? Sorry for the dumb question, I know the Amtrak site has the virtual tour but it does not give room numbers in the diagrams. Also can anyone offer advice for getting from Glenwood Springs station to hotel on July 4'th. I really want to rent a car from Enterprise but they are not open on the fourth of July. Thanks for any advice or information you can offer.
Amtrak.com (Traveling With Amtrak)(virtual tour)

Your room will be on the upper level. Click here for car layouts. You'll be riding in a Superliner sleeper.

Your room will be on the upper level. Click here for car layouts. You'll be riding in a Superliner sleeper.

Thank you very much for the layout!!

You will be directly opposite the car attendants room. This can be a good or bad omen depending on how busy he/she gets. Some you won't even know that they are there. The #2 is one of the better riding rooms as it is in the center of the car and is close to the public toilet and right next to the coffee/juice/ice stand and stairs. Enjoy your trip~ you have a good room.

To Guest Jen,

If you return to this topic looking for your post please head over to the Amtrak Rail Discussions forum or click here to go to your post.

Thanks. :)

Thank you very much for the layout!!
Just remember, as I have seen in other postings...just because the diagram is laid out this way does not mean that the car will be traveling in the same way...that is to say you don't know which side will really be the left or right side until they hook the cars up.

Another thing that affects that is for example the Pacific Surfliner is a push-pull system...you pull into San Diego but push going north.

Another thing that affects that is for example the Pacific Surfliner is a push-pull system...you pull into San Diego but push going north.
Doesn't the Surfliner reverse at LAUS (formerly LAUPT)? IOW, if you are going from, say Santa Barbara to San Diego, the train would be pushed (the engine at the "rear") to L.A., but pulled from L.A. to S.D.

I have read that there are plans to make LAUS a run-through station so that trains don't have to switch direction there. Have they come to fruition?

Doesn't the Surfliner reverse at LAUS (formerly LAUPT)? IOW, if you are going from, say Santa Barbara to San Diego, the train would be pushed (the engine at the "rear") to L.A., but pulled from L.A. to S.D.

I have read that there are plans to make LAUS a run-through station so that trains don't have to switch direction there. Have they come to fruition?
Have the plans or the actual construction come to fruition? Plans: I don't know (perhaps Whooz or another local resident can detail that, or I'm sure the info can be found out there on the Intertubes), but the construction absolutely hasn't. It's still (unless MAJOR progress has been made since I was there last summer) a dead-end station. (Well, not in that way... :D )

The Gold Line tracks do now extend south of the station and cross the 101 (curving and heading east) as part of the new Gold Line extension that should be up and running in the near future. Running the mainline rail tracks through, though, is going to require quite a bit more construction.

They do have the plans, but money isn't available to construct the tracks. Maybe it went down quietly or perhaps the plan for HSR is in the way.

There was a website that is dedicated to run through track project, but it was closed few years ago.

Here's a tip for using the shower located in the Superliner's bedroom toilet room (I assume it would also apply to the Viewliner). Don't assume the cover over the toilet paper roll will keep the roll dry while you shower. It doesn't. If you want to use the shower, remove the toilet paper from the room. Then, when all is finished, towel off the toilet room and the paper dispensing area, and reinstall the roll. This could save you spending ten minutes peeling off layers of saturated toilet paper in order to get down to some dry stuff that can be pulled off without disintegrating in your hands.

I learned this one first hand.

Here's a tip for using the shower located in the Superliner's bedroom toilet room (I assume it would also apply to the Viewliner). Don't assume the cover over the toilet paper roll will keep the roll dry while you shower. It doesn't. If you want to use the shower, remove the toilet paper from the room. Then, when all is finished, towel off the toilet room and the paper dispensing area, and reinstall the roll. This could save you spending ten minutes peeling off layers of saturated toilet paper in order to get down to some dry stuff that can be pulled off without disintegrating in your hands.
To be honest with you I travel Viewliners fairly often. All that is provided is a plastic wrapped mini-roll which is on the sink counter with the towels and soap. I'm not even sure if there is a TP holder in some of the rooms. We've lost the video screens, the folding chairs (replaced on some Viewliners by a stationary swivel chair) and the trash receptacles in the bedrooms won't stay closed. My grand-daughter could figure out if you put a strong enough magnet inside the door of the trash receptacle it would stay closed. Amtrak's solution? Tie a super sized plastic bag to the inside of the bathroom door.

To be honest with you I travel Viewliners fairly often. All that is provided is a plastic wrapped mini-roll which is on the sink counter with the towels and soap. I'm not even sure if there is a TP holder in some of the rooms. We've lost the video screens, the folding chairs (replaced on some Viewliners by a stationary swivel chair) and the trash receptacles in the bedrooms won't stay closed. My grand-daughter could figure out if you put a strong enough magnet inside the door of the trash receptacle it would stay closed. Amtrak's solution? Tie a super sized plastic bag to the inside of the bathroom door.
I could justify the reason a magnet is not desirable:

They damage mechanical watches. I for one would complain about magnets located in inappropriate places.

Back