Diner questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
I have some questions about the diner for my upcomming Sunset Limited Train 1 trip:

1. Do sleeper passangers get first shot at the dinner? This is kind of more towards the end like Arizona when they start running out of food?

2. I know meals come with the sleeper: What exactly is complimentary and what is not, other than beer, wine, and not so soft drinks? For the lunch and dinner do they cover apetizers and deserts as well?

3. Going from NOL-LAX, how many breakfasts, lunches, and dinners will there be? The current schedule is leave NOL at 11:55 AM and arrvies at 9:40 AM <---yeah right. Actually it has been doing pretty well with on time.

I have some questions about the diner for my upcomming Sunset Limited Train 1 trip:
1. Do sleeper passangers get first shot at the dinner? This is kind of more towards the end like Arizona when they start running out of food?

2. I know meals come with the sleeper: What exactly is complimentary and what is not, other than beer, wine, and not so soft drinks? For the lunch and dinner do they cover apetizers and deserts as well?

3. Going from NOL-LAX, how many breakfasts, lunches, and dinners will there be? The current schedule is leave NOL at 11:55 AM and arrvies at 9:40 AM <---yeah right. Actually it has been doing pretty well with on time.
1. Sleeper passengers get the first shot at reservations. They come through the sleeping cars taking names and times prior to going through the lounge and coaches. So, if you are in your room when they come through, you will get to choose prior to those in the lounge (including sleeping car passengers sitting there) and coach passengers.

2. The "complimentary" meal includes the meal (salad, main course, and dessert) plus your choice of one non-alchoholic beverage. Appetizers are not included and, as you know, neither is wine or beer. Also not included is the tip for service. At the risk of starting another of AU's lively tipping discussions, it is traditional to tip the dining car server more or less in line with what the tip would have been if you had paid. So a $20 dinner would rate a $3 to $4 tip. If you add a half bottle of wine (at $14) and the tip for that (say $2), then your "complimentary" meal will cost about $20 out of pocket - more or less.

1. Sleeper passengers get the first shot at reservations. They come through the sleeping cars taking names and times prior to going through the lounge and coaches. So, if you are in your room when they come through, you will get to choose prior to those in the lounge (including sleeping car passengers sitting there) and coach passengers.

2. The "complimentary" meal includes the meal (salad, main course, and dessert) plus your choice of one non-alchoholic beverage. Appetizers are not included and, as you know, neither is wine or beer. Also not included is the tip for service. At the risk of starting another of AU's lively tipping discussions, it is traditional to tip the dining car server more or less in line with what the tip would have been if you had paid. So a $20 dinner would rate a $3 to $4 tip. If you add a half bottle of wine (at $14) and the tip for that (say $2), then your "complimentary" meal will cost about $20 out of pocket - more or less.
What about the third question? Basically I can figure out the inbetween but do we get a FULL lunch or MODIFIED lunch leaving NOL and a FULL or MODIFIED breakfast pulling into LAX. I empisized FULL and MODIFED asking to choose one or the other for each eand of the route.

What about the third question? Basically I can figure out the inbetween but do we get a FULL lunch or MODIFIED lunch leaving NOL and a FULL or MODIFIED breakfast pulling into LAX. I empisized FULL and MODIFED asking to choose one or the other for each eand of the route.
That one I don't know for sure. I could guess (lunch out of NOL, truncated breakfast into LAX), but I prefer a reply from someone who has been on the train recently and would actually know.

That one I don't know for sure. I could guess (lunch out of NOL, truncated breakfast into LAX), but I prefer a reply from someone who has been on the train recently and would actually know.
Thanks for the info.

PRR 60 is correct. I was on the SL last month, and they has lunch service out of NOL. So 1st day would be lunch and dinner, 2nd day would be breakfast, lunch and dinner, 3rd day would be breakfast. (6 meals total.) Meals include the main dish, non-alcoholic drinks and (for lunch and dinner) desert. Breakfast also includes meat (bacon or sausage), if you want it. And you can chose any entree that is on the menu. (No appetizers.)

PRR 60 is correct. I was on the SL last month, and they has lunch service out of NOL. So 1st day would be lunch and dinner, 2nd day would be breakfast, lunch and dinner, 3rd day would be breakfast. (6 meals total.) Meals include the main dish, non-alcoholic drinks and (for lunch and dinner) desert. Breakfast also includes meat (bacon or sausage), if you want it. And you can chose any entree that is on the menu. (No appetizers.)
I have seen some sample menus floating around and it looks like not much choice for appetizers anyway. It looks like a choice of Hot Wings Yes or No.

Aloha

If on time there is one sitting for breakfast that last morning. On April 3 the had a full breakfast as we were 2+ hours late.

I have seen some sample menus floating around and it looks like not much choice for appetizers anyway.
My experience on the Lake Shore Limited has been that the meal plus desert is plenty; I don't feel like not having an appetizer makes the portions inadequate.
I have to agree with you. Matter of fact I never gave thought about appetizers or even realized if there were or were not any offered on the LSL or any of the other trains I've been on.

I have seen some sample menus floating around and it looks like not much choice for appetizers anyway.
My experience on the Lake Shore Limited has been that the meal plus desert is plenty; I don't feel like not having an appetizer makes the portions inadequate.
I have to agree with you. Matter of fact I never gave thought about appetizers or even realized if there were or were not any offered on the LSL or any of the other trains I've been on.
At 43 more days about 1,032 hours about 61,920 seconds before my train trip

Only 42 more days left...how can I make it get here sooner...short of change the reservation :p

But who is counting? :unsure: ;) :p
Uh-oh...does my excitement show? :p
Yes, your excitement shows, but be careful that you don't let it kill your enthusism before reaching day 0... unless of course your in the making of becoming... another Traveler! :D

So, how many seconds do you have left now? Aah, never mind! It'll be inaccurate by the time anyone could read it anyway! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
unless of course your in the making of becoming... another Traveler! :D
I resemble that remark! :p

I'm not counting, but there's too many milli-seconds until my next trip! :lol:
As long as I don't get to El Paso and start saying "are we in California yet?" :lol:
By the time I get to ELP, I'll be long past California - but I'll be many days from home! (Wherever that is!) :p

I was going to quote a song and say "By the time I get to Phoenix ..." - but you can't get there (easily) from here! :lol:

unless of course your in the making of becoming... another Traveler! :D
I resemble that remark! :p

I'm not counting, but there's too many milli-seconds until my next trip! :lol:
As long as I don't get to El Paso and start saying "are we in California yet?" :lol:
By the time I get to ELP, I'll be long past California - but I'll be many days from home! (Wherever that is!) :p

I was going to quote a song and say "By the time I get to Phoenix ..." - but you can't get there (easily) from here! :lol:
Before I read your second line, I was thinking the same thing! OMG, I'M BEGINNING TO THINK LIKE YOU!!! :huh: :unsure:

Here's something that some sleeper pax have found a little confusing.

Your appetizers aren't free but that "breakfast meats" option IS! Its only a couple links of sausage or patties, but its included! As are your desserts!

Last edited by a moderator:

Before I read your second line, I was thinking the same thing! OMG, I'M BEGINNING TO THINK LIKE YOU!!! :huh: :unsure:
Scary - isn't it? :lol: Next thing you know, you'll be going ALB-NYP-WAS-CHI-NOL-LAX-PDX-SPK! :p

Your appetizers aren't free but that "breakfast meats" option IS! Its only a couple links of sausage or patties, but its included! As are your desserts!
Until very recently, they did not even offer appetizers at all. But they always included the breakfast meats and deserts.

Until very recently, they did not even offer appetizers at all. But they always included the breakfast meats and deserts.
Not to mention they only offer one appetizer... buffalo wings.

I love wings, but they don't go withe every meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back