Showering if you're in Coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steveindixon

Train Attendant
I'm leaving in just over a month on the CZ from Davis to Chicago. I'm going to be on that train for 50+ hours. I have a reserved coach seat. Is there a shower for us in Coach to use? Thank you! Steve

You might try upgrading on board for a portion of the trip. If you want to do that, upgrade for a portion that will include at least one major meal-time, and that way you will get your shower, and a meal and some horizontal-resting time, all for one additional price ( assuming there is a room available, of course).

No guarantees, but you could offer a sleeping car attendant a token of your gratitude for allowing you to use a shower.

No guarantees, but you could offer a sleeping car attendant a token of your gratitude for allowing you to use a shower.
I wanted to try that, but I wasn't sure of the proper way to approach one and ask. Would walking into a sleeper, finding an attendant, and then discreetly showing a $20 in your palm while asking "might I trouble you to use the shower?" (a la attempting an upgrade at a hotel in Vegas) be the right way to do that? :lol:

I wanted to try that, but I wasn't sure of the proper way to approach one and ask. Would walking into a sleeper, finding an attendant, and then discreetly showing a $20 in your palm while asking "might I trouble you to use the shower?" (a la attempting an upgrade at a hotel in Vegas) be the right way to do that? :lol:
I've seen a couple of posts on here suggesting taking a washcloth into the coach restroom with some soap and doing a sort of spongebath. It's not as good as a regular shower but it's better than nothing.

I've seen a couple of posts on here suggesting taking a washcloth into the coach restroom with some soap and doing a sort of spongebath. It's not as good as a regular shower but it's better than nothing.
Obtaining the washcloth would have been hard, as I didn't bring one! I did do a paper-towel sponge bath, but it just didn't have the same effect. Amtrak SHOULD have some provision for allowing coach passengers to take showers and turn it into a revenue opportunity--I would have paid $20 (or maybe more!) for a shower!

One time on a Chicago-Denver trip, my uncle rode coach and took a shower anyway. He was up at 2AM, when no car attendant was likely to be up, and got in and got out right away before anyone noticed.

And if that attendant get caught doing that, it is a quick trip to the unemployment line. Amtrak has a difficult time firing someone for being rude or even crude, but allowing Coach passengers to use Sleeping Car facilties in exchange for a bribe, I mean tip, could be considered theft.

It is difficult for a coach passenger to just walk into a sleeper. It is not impossible, of course, but dining car staff, including during non-mealtimes, typically stop any passenger walking from coach through the dining car into the sleeper. This would be especially true of someone carrying a small bag or shower kit. Additionally, while there might be a handful of sleeper attendants willing to risk their job for such a gratuity (which would likely have to be more than $20, IMHO), I doubt that most would.

Hence my statement of "no guarantees". Its possible you could get the use of the shower by doing this. I don't know how likely, although I have heard of other people doing it. I doubt you'd lose much either than face if the Sleeping Car Attendant summarily showed you the end door of the car. I'd never do it- showering isn't important enough for me to do it when its free a lot of the time, let alone paying extra for it.

some travel/luggage stores sell towels or washcloths that come in a vented or mesh pouch that allows them to dry easily. very handy for coach travel.

Wetwipes. They work better for a sponge bath.

But I will have to agree with AmtrakWPK. Even though you won't be changing trains, perhaps you can ask for an upgrad for a portion of it, ie: Elco to Grand Junction, or Fort Morgan to Omaha, or even just the last stretch from Omaha to CHI (should be cheapest, because it's daytime).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back