New Profile Posts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. basketmaker
  2. basketmaker
    basketmaker
    California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, City of New Orleans, Lake Shore Limited, Crescent, Sunset Limited
  3. Mike G
    Mike G
    Avatar My 9th and final landing at Williams Field aka Ice Runway, McMurdo Station, Antarctica
  4. Seaboard92
    Seaboard92
    Trying to sell two charter trains.
  5. New Train Guy
    New Train Guy
    Routes travelled: California Zepher, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Capitol Unlimited, Crescent, Carolinian
  6. P
  7. Swadian Hardcore
  8. C
    CJK Ronbo
    Check your messages. I would really like this. 
  9. Twin Star Rocket
    Twin Star Rocket
    “Trains tap into some deep American collective memory.”---Dana Frank
  10. Bob Dylan
    Bob Dylan Railroad Bill
    Hi Bill!

The Buckeyes and the Longhorns both held on to Win ^_^ , and Urban can shuttle off to TV for EZ Bucks!!
  11. Chey
    Chey cpotisch
    "pescatarian" - you made me look it up     :-)  But may I ask why fish is okay but not poultry?

"Fish are friends, not food" - I used to love *[I]to*[/I] fish but I always released them cause I never found a fish that I liked to eat, much less kill and clean.

But them again, I don't mind chicken probably cause I don't have to kill and gut them. They're cuter than fish too.

PS - before I released the fishes I always gave them the worm. No, I don't have feelings for worms...
    1. A
      Anderson
      So, what about species that are total jackasses?
      Mar 15, 2019
  12. A
    AG1 ehbowen
    Hi,

I am interested in knowing your method of digitalizing the films mentioned in the post.

Thank you,

AG1
    1. ehbowen
      ehbowen
      I'm a semi-pro; I do this as a part time hobby business. For video tapes I use one of five high-end S-VHS and D-VHS VCRs; I feed that output to a time base corrector to clean up the signal and then digitize it using (normally) an ATI All-In-Wonder video card. The AIW cards are widely regarded to be the best hardware ever built for this purpose; unfortunately they were discontinued with the move to digital video and the drivers were never updated (they still require Windows XP). I also have machines which are capable of playing 8mm/Hi8 video tapes and Mini-DV tapes as well as an adapter which lets me play VHS-C tapes in the full-size S-VHS machines. I'm also in the process of acquiring a machine which should allow me to convert PAL format VHS and S-VHS tapes.

I also have a film scanner which allows me to digitize 8mm and Super 8 film movies (silent only, at present) to 720P HD digital video. Once digitized, I have the software to add (generic royalty-free...I don't want to tangle with the copyright ****s) music, titles and effects to the videos as well as perform some color correction and restoration. Then I can master and burn the videos to physical media (DVD or Blu-ray) as desired. Oh, I can also scan slides and negatives but I try to downplay that as it's a fairly slow and involved process with a lot of manual fiddle-work.
      Dec 28, 2018
  13. C
    CrazyTrain
    My friend just took a train trip from ATL to CHI.
  14. P42 AC/DC
    P42 AC/DC
    Ready to be on the LSL next week!!
  15. cpotisch
    cpotisch
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - Jack Handey
  16. cpotisch
    cpotisch
    Desert Wind
  17. CCC1007
    CCC1007
    Where do we need an additional LD train to run?
  18. Compuwriter
    Compuwriter
    Cancellation
  19. cpotisch
    cpotisch AlanB
    RIP, Alan. You are missed.
  20. bcanedy
    bcanedy
    After 7 years I finally bothered to post a profile picture.
  21. P
    Pam uppereastsider
    Do you still have the companion vouchers available? My granddaughter & I are planning an Amtrak trip to DC. Please let me know. Pam
  22. W
    WanderToWonder
    This Western Conference will be the death of me.
  23. W
    WanderToWonder
    First time on the forum and first time traveling through Amtrak. I would like some help with how to buy tickets if I’ll be stopping at 2 other states. Please help ☺️
    1. cpotisch
      cpotisch
      You probably want to start a thread for this question. The profile feed will only be seen on you profile page, so you most likely won't get any answers this way.
      May 24, 2018
  24. M
  25. M
    Muttnick57
    We are planning a trip on the Southwest Chief from the north/midwest and are in no particular hurry. We are starting our journey in North Caronlina and driving to either Chicago or Kansas City to pick up the train to Flagstaff. We will rent a car and after we explore the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, etc., we will fly back from Vegas. Or we could do the trip in reverse - fly to Vegas first and take the train back. Considering parking, things to do, convenience, price, time schedules, does anyone...

arrow_white