Wasington DC auto show

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to take a sneak peak at the auto show this evening as part of an SAE conference. The new cars were meh, though I'm glad to see that Toyota is bow making the Corolla Cross in a hybrid, even if it is 2 years late for me.

But the antiques are always fun to look at.
20240118_181637.jpg

1954 Corvette

20240118_181244.jpg
1962 Corvette
20240118_181503.jpg
1966 Mustang. A high school buddy of mine had one of these. He even let me drive it once.
20240118_181617.jpg
1950 something Cadillac.

Also, even though Tesla doesn't officially appear at show, because it's sponsored by the auto dealers, and Tesla doesn't belive in dealers, someone put a Cybertruck on display.

20240118_180457.jpg
A bit of an embarrassment, if you ask me.

Is your hybrid going to need to idle in very cold weather to keep the battery warm enough to take and keep a charge? Thinking of all the EVs that are stalled trying to get a charge.

Is your hybrid going to need to idle in very cold weather to keep the battery warm enough to take and keep a charge? Thinking of all the EVs that are stalled trying to get a charge.
The thing with hybrids is that they can work fine with the ICE even with significantly underperforming traction battery. In that way they are fundamentally different from EVs.

Got to take a sneak peak at the auto show this evening as part of an SAE conference. The new cars were meh, though I'm glad to see that Toyota is bow making the Corolla Cross in a hybrid, even if it is 2 years late for me.

But the antiques are always fun to look at.
View attachment 35503

1954 Corvette

View attachment 35504
1962 Corvette
View attachment 35505
1966 Mustang. A high school buddy of mine had one of these. He even let me drive it once.
View attachment 35506
1950 something Cadillac.

Also, even though Tesla doesn't officially appear at show, because it's sponsored by the auto dealers, and Tesla doesn't belive in dealers, someone put a Cybertruck on display.

View attachment 35507
A bit of an embarrassment, if you ask me.
😎 Nice pics Joe, thanks for sharing!

Since there is a Tesla Mega Factory
here in Austin, I've seen several of those butt ugly Cybertrucks with Manufacturer Plates cruising around the streets.

Nice!

Back in the early 90's I got the opportunity to do some work in an office for a different kind of car parts store. It was a parts dealer for Studebakers . The man who owned the cars had about 50 or so fully restored dating back to the late 1800's when they made carriages and buckboards. He had three bars full of them and was building another barn.

Interestingly, the man who owned them was Dr Robert Cade, the inventor of Gatorade.

My daughter and I got to wonder through the barns and look at all the cars - we could even sit in them if we wanted to. This was something he did not allow many people to do and they used to charge for people to visit their "museum".

Try 'Googling' "1953 Buick Skylark".... ;)
The only production car that was "chopped" at the factory for a lower look. A lower windshield, custom doors, and real wire wheels made this car a real "looker". I was a 11 year-old car nut when these came out. A wealthy woman in our town owned a metallic grey one.

The only production car that was "chopped" at the factory for a lower look. A lower windshield, custom doors, and real wire wheels made this car a real "looker". I was a 11 year-old car nut when these came out. A wealthy woman in our town owned a metallic grey one.

I'd say that the Rover P5 Coupé kind of qualifies as well - it was built with a much lower roofline than the standard Saloon (aka Sedan).

Back