Long Distance (LD) fleet replacement RFP discussion 2024 H1

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about the coach cafe' design a bit.

Amtrak is designing an exciting new coach cafe' car with huge windows and roof skylights. It will be a bright cheery space for socializing, grabbing a bite to eat or enjoying a beverage or two. A really welcoming space to meet fellow passengers or watch the view go by.

BUT . . . put in so few seats that hardly anyone can enjoy it?

Does that make any sense?

Do remember that these are just concept presentation. The actual offering from the vendors may be different and there is time to give feedback to Amtrak through several paths including one via the RPA who meet Amtrak management at least once a month.

If we were to put together a list of major concerns/ideas I will be happy to take it to the RPA management and request them to bring it to Amtrak's attention.

Do remember that these are just concept presentation. The actual offering from the vendors may be different and there is time to give feedback to Amtrak through several paths including one via the RPA who meet Amtrak management at least once a month.

If we were to put together a list of major concerns/ideas I will be happy to take it to the RPA management and request them to bring it to Amtrak's attention.
Sure thing. Let's all think about this.

I was thinking about the coach cafe' design a bit.

Amtrak is designing an exciting new coach cafe' car with huge windows and roof skylights. It will be a bright cheery space for socializing, grabbing a bite to eat or enjoying a beverage or two. A really welcoming space to meet fellow passengers or watch the view go by.

BUT . . . put in so few seats that hardly anyone can enjoy it?

Does that make any sense?
The cafe area should take up the whole area of the second floor with the same booth seating as the dining car. To justify the reduced revenue seating they could use half of the booth seating in cafe for increased dining service which could result in increased revenue if more coach passengers choose to dine.

Actually, I find it hard to look out the windows when the bed is set up and I'm lying in it trying to sleep. The only exception is the roomette upper bunk in the Viewliners.
IIRC. the old Single Slumbercoach beds had a perfect view from bed…especially if you were in an “upper”…can’t count how many times I viewed PRR 1361 going around The Curve on Number 40…🙂

IIRC. the old Single Slumbercoach beds had a perfect view from bed…especially if you were in an “upper”…can’t count how many times I viewed PRR 1361 going around The Curve on Number 40…🙂
Meant to say, while I was going around, not the displayed K4…😁

I wonder if Siemens might be the frontrunner (over Alstom and Stadler) to eventually win this contract due to the fact that they are already building numerous Venture coaches for Amtrak.

I wonder if Siemens might be the frontrunner (over Alstom and Stadler) to eventually win this contract because they are already building numerous Venture coaches for Amtrak.
But could Seimens do such a big order that is highly customized? The Venture cars were modified off-the-shelf European cars designed to American standards. The Amtrak LD replacement order is so specific and demands such a high quantity of cars that Semines would probably have to lease or build a new manufacturing facility just for Amtrak. It's going to be hard for all the rolling stock companies to match up to what Amtrak is designing but I think they can, most likely a partnership or a joint venture or a compromise between Amtrak and the contractor?

But could Seimens do such a big order that is highly customized? The Venture cars were modified off-the-shelf European cars designed to American standards. The Amtrak LD replacement order is so specific and demands such a high quantity of cars that Semines would probably have to lease or build a new manufacturing facility just for Amtrak. It's going to be hard for all the rolling stock companies to match up to what Amtrak is designing but I think they can, most likely a partnership or a joint venture or a compromise between Amtrak and the contractor?
Almost any car builder of repute can technically build and deliver what Amtrak is asking for. Technically they are not mind blowing or difficult. They want these things delivered around 2030 onward for many years. So it is not like it will be a massive demand in any particular year. Siemens is already building a new manufacturing line in North Carolina for delivering the Airos, so essentially it is for Amtrak orders already.

I'm more interested in speculating what these new cars will be called. Ultraliner? MEGAliner? Superliner III?
I may be accused of resistant to change, but I am hoping they stick with Superliner. It is a rather iconic moniker and will still be double deckers. And of course there is precedent given that Amtrak is continuing the Acela name with those brand new trainsets.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: A number of posts that followed the "flexliner" name suggestion above, have been moved to its own thread ABB Scandia/Adtranz/Bombardier IC3 Flexliner discussion.

Please continue the Flexliner discussion in this new thread.

Thank you for your understanding, cooperation and participation.

Via got the budget authority today to start the actual Request for Proposals for long distance equipment replacement. There's literally no details, as the government says "to protect its negotiation position" which makes a lot of sense. In any event quite relevant to this thread as we could potentially see a order piggy back - relatively speaking - quickly onto the Amtrak procurement.

Last edited:
Stadler will be holding an open house in June, like last year I will be in attendance.

Last year employees were surprisingly loose-lipped about procurement opportunities they were eying. I heard all about their dreams of getting the LA metro order, and how they plan to beat Siemens for UTA's LRV order. The one that they all seemed to be dodgy about was Amtrak, nobody wanted to say if they were really going for it. This year I hope someone spills the beans, because we definitely won't see an award until late this year/early next year.

Back