JAL crash on runway

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

west point

Engineer
Last edited:
Yes, but the crew could barely see it in the middle of all the bright runway/taxiways lights.

The smaller aircraft had been on the runway for almost a minute before the collision (it was instructed to hold short of the runway, but instead lined up on the runway).

Quotation from Simon Calder, a UK travel journalist:
"This isn’t your captain speaking. But please pause for a safety briefing. Last year marked a new low in the numbers of both fatal accidents and loss of life in commercial aviation. All passenger jets and international flights arrived safely. Sadly, a total of 86 people died in two accidents. Both involved propeller planes on domestic flights: the first in Nepal, the second in Brazil. Our screens were filled with terrifying live scenes from Tokyo Haneda airport of a large airliner engulfed in flames. An incoming Japan Airlines Airbus A350 struck a smaller plane, on which five members of the Japanese coastguard died. Any accident involving loss of life is a tragedy. Anxious flyers might conclude from the harrowing footage that aviation is increasingly dangerous. In reality, the successful evacuation of 379 passengers and crew from the blazing Airbus reveals a safety culture that outshines any other industry. When you step aboard a plane, a culture of global collaboration between aviation security professionals keeps you safe while travelling to the destination of your dreams."

It is unlivable that no one was killed on this A-350 runway collision with a Japanese coast guard plane which 5 were killed. The fuselage angle up would have seemed to make evacuations very difficult of the A-350.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/new...airport-runway/vi-AA1mlxJG?ocid=msedgntp&t=19
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...st-into-flames-after-runway-crash/ar-AA1mlvbl
The successful evacuation of this burning plane on the runway at Haneda has renewed my hope for our species.

Last edited:
Don't forget this was in Japan, where discipline is a common thing among the population. In some other countries, you'd have people reaching for their hand luggage before they evacuate...

(Not so) fun fact: in 1903, 84 people died after a subway car caught fire in Paris. When the station staff asked the passengers to evacuate as the fire was getting out of control, most of them didn't... because they were either hoping for the traffic to resume, or didn't want to lose the fare they already paid. They quickly changed their minds when the lights went out due to the fire, but it was already too late.

Quotation from Simon Calder, a UK travel journalist:
[...]
Yes, this is both impressive to see and very rare, so it makes the news.

Meanwhile, each year in the US, 1 every 7,500 inhabitant will die in a motor vehicle (usually car) related crash. A figure which is much more impressive to read (at least to me)... but has gotten so common that it's been "accepted as a normal thing" by most of the population. As if this A350 crash occurred every 3 days... and no one survives.

Yes, but the crew could barely see it in the middle of all the bright runway/taxiways lights.
The camera is also seeing lights that were directed away from landing aircraft and would have appeared rather dim or completely obstructed by the aircraft. Runway incursions can happen at any time but most fatal outcomes happen at night for this reason. I saw much of the released footage live while the aircraft was still on fire, but I would not hesitate to fly Japan Airlines or an A350 in the future.

Don't forget this was in Japan, where discipline is a common thing among the population. In some other countries, you'd have people reaching for their hand luggage before they evacuate...
I saw one video clip comparing scenes from the JL A350 with a Spirit Airlines evacuation. The Japanese passengers acting calm and moving quickly versus American passengers barely moving as they shouted at each other and wrestled with luggage. If this happened to me I hope I would act like the Japanese passengers but deep down I wonder if I'd be more like the American passengers. Not because I thought it was smart or responsible but because I would have no faith that the system would take care of me if I arrived with nothing to my name.

Last edited:
If this happened to me I hope I would act like the Japanese passengers but deep down I wonder if I'd be more like the American passengers. Not because I thought it was smart or responsible but because I would have no faith that the system would take care of me if I arrived with nothing to my name.
Maybe concern about arriving with nothing to your name, might lead to you and others not arriving at all... :(

The camera is also seeing lights that were directed away from landing aircraft and would have appeared rather dim or completely obstructed by the aircraft. Runway incursions can happen at any time but most fatal outcomes happen at night for this reason. I saw much of the released footage live while the aircraft was still on fire, but I would not hesitate to fly Japan Airlines or an A350 in the future.

I saw one video clip comparing scenes from the JL A350 with a Spirit Airlines evacuation. The Japanese passengers acting calm and moving quickly versus American passengers barely moving as they shouted at each other and wrestled with luggage. If this happened to me I hope I would act like the Japanese passengers but deep down I wonder if I'd be more like the American passengers. Not because I thought it was smart or responsible but because I would have no faith that the system would take care of me if I arrived with nothing to my name.
I keep my Cochlear Implant accessories (spare batteries, charger, etc) & backup processors in a small bag that I either keep on my body or within quick reach. This is possible since I’m allowed an extra bag for medical only things. Once on board I should slip my small wallet into it with my DL & Insurance cards.

I was on a plane that had a medical evacuation once. A passenger who had eye surgery that morning suddenly started bleeding from his eye about halfway through a flight from LA (Orange County, IIRC) to SFO. I forget the type of plane, but it was an almost fully loaded 3+3, 120-150 passengers.

They announced the procedures before we landed and EVERYONE complied. They started de-boarding from the front. Everyone was to remain seated until the flight attendants got to their row. Then, the people in that row were allowed to stand up and retrieve their luggage from the overhead bins. (This was allowed because the plane itself and the passengers still aboard weren't in any danger.) Most of the luggage was near the passenger who owned it, but some had to go forward or back quite a way to get to their luggage. This was no problem because the aisle was empty.

They were waiting for a wheelchair to carry the injured passenger off the plane. When it arrived at the door to the plane, they halted the process, the wheelchair and an EMT came down the aisle and got the man into the chair, and then they took him off the plane.

When he was off, they did NOT just resume the normal free-for-all, but continued with the systematic, one-row-at-a-time procedure. It took about two minutes, including the time to evacuate the injured passenger, to get EVERYONE off the plane! With all their luggage! Once the passengers understood what they where expected to do, it was really quick.

The one thing I don't understand is why they don't ALWAYS do this. Is is really any more work for the flight attendants to walk down the aisle controlling the flow instead of standing at the door saying "Guh-buy Guh-buy" until their vocal cords expire? If everyone was familiar with the procedure, evacuation in a life-threatening emergency such as a fire would be MUCH quicker. Just do the same thing, but leave your luggage.

Oh, before anyone asks, the man did have explicit permission from his surgeon to fly that afternoon. But clearly it was a wrong decision.

Maybe concern about arriving with nothing to your name, might lead to you and others not arriving at all... :(
Absolutely. Sitting here safe and sound it's easy to see the problem but it's hard to know how you'll act in the moment unless you're there.

I keep my Cochlear Implant accessories (spare batteries, charger, etc) & backup processors in a small bag that I either keep on my body or within quick reach. This is possible since I’m allowed an extra bag for medical only things. Once on board I should slip my small wallet into it with my DL & Insurance cards.
A lot of what I need is on my phone, so as long as I have that I can probably deal with most domestic evacuations. Internationally I'd need more but I suppose it's time to figure that out and get it down to a single pouch that can be carried easily while making a run for it.

Back