Brunswick to Rockland ME Train Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rockland is also not far from Port Clyde, the departure point for the boat to Monhegan Island, which I recall from an ill-fated attempt to visit the island years ago.
There are also boats to Monhegan from New Harbor and Boothbay Harbor. It might be easier to go from Boothbay via train to Wiscasset and taxi or Uber to Boothbay Harbor, although the boat trip is a bit longer. But the Balmy Days boat is large and comfortable. The Port Clyde boat is the mail boat for the island so runs year round. The other boats are seasonal.

Spending President’s Day Weekend in the Rockland area, one of the Budd Cars is sitting in the Rockland Freight Yard. It has markings for the Mid Coast Rail Service and Coastliner. I am assuming this is one of the units that was reported to be issue plagued. President's Day Weekend is a perfect example of a winter weekend were rail service would be well patronized, Rockland and Camden were jumping with plenty of us overworked, stressed-out Bostonians.

Attachments

• IMG_8168.jpeg
    IMG_8168.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8167.jpeg
    IMG_8167.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8166.jpeg
    IMG_8166.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Spending President’s Day Weekend in the Rockland area, one of the Budd Cars is sitting in the Rockland Freight Yard. It has markings for the Mid Coast Rail Service and Coastliner. I am assuming this is one of the units that was reported to be issue plagued. President's Day Weekend is a perfect example of a winter weekend were rail service would be well patronized, Rockland and Camden were jumping with plenty of us overworked, stressed-out Bostonians.
I think Midcoast has given up on the RDC concept. I think at this point any service to Rockland would have to be via a Downeaster extension.

I think Midcoast has given up on the RDC concept. I think at this point any service to Rockland would have to be via a Downeaster extension.
I understand that initially RDCs were going to be leased for this service. Then one broke down. Then the RDC owner either cancelled or did not extend the lease. So no RDCs are available. At least that is the railfan rumor. Corrections would be welcome.

The RDC is sixty years old, but VIA still operates them and apparently has few issues. However, the ideal solution is to extend the Downeaster to Rockland but upgrade the track first to het it up to at least 60 mph, Class 3 FRA Standards. Expensive? Yes, it is, but it must be competitive.

Back