Brightline Trains Florida discussion 2023 Q4

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, one thing I'd almost forgotten...

Whatever happened to the plans to run over to the port in Miami? I presume they've been dropped (the track configuration made it never really make sense outside of a charter service) but I never saw it openly get dropped. Did it just evaporate when the Virgin thing fell apart/with the pandemic?
It just evaporated I think. It was a Virgin inspired thing I think to connect with Virgin Cruises. When that went away so did the awkward plan.

So, one thing I'd almost forgotten...

Whatever happened to the plans to run over to the port in Miami? I presume they've been dropped (the track configuration made it never really make sense outside of a charter service) but I never saw it openly get dropped. Did it just evaporate when the Virgin thing fell apart/with the pandemic?
Having been to the cruise terminal twice last year (dropping off and picking up parents so I could drive their car instead of them paying for parking), what that area needs to connect to downtown is either a heavy-rail metro that connects through the existing metrorail to the airport, or a gadgetbahn like the mover that mostly provides connections to transit that goes beyond downtown. The way big ships are loaded and unloaded makes airplane boarding look downright efficient and brisk, and a train that supports hundreds of passengers will spend more time waiting to board than in motion.

Also, new year new thread?

It just evaporated I think. It was a Virgin inspired thing I think to connect with Virgin Cruises. When that went away so did the awkward plan.
I've twice transferred from Brightline to Virgin Cruise terminal so they would have had at least 1 passenger! haha.

It actually would be a great idea to have some sort of people mover connect Brightline and the Metro to the cruise terminals. There is a free trolley but it gets stuck in the same traffic on the bridge and it only makes one stop which is ok for a few of the terminals, but a long walk to some of the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back