Auto Train service expansion?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually the real showstopper is the design limit of 1200kW of the cabling. It is not that hard to create a small subfleet of ALCs with 1200kW HEP Inverter replacing the 1000kW HEP Inverter.
Have to wonder if Amtrak is going to keep its present method of HEP for the new car orders. Amtrak could install the VIA method of HEP distribution. As I understand it the VIA system can work together with present Amtrak cars but only use the Amtrak method of distribution. However, to use the VIA method that uses 2 locos and cross over power to every car all cars must only be the VIA method ,

Has any evaluation ever been made of an autotrain-like service that begins in Lorton (say), breaks in say, San Antonio and terminates in LA? No niggling--just LD transport of vehicle and driver.

No, there was at one point service from Louisville to Florida, which caused the failure of the private AutoTrain. I think the service is only really economically viable on 16-20 hour runs over flat country. Mountains really dampen the schedules of mixed trains more than regular passenger service. Chicago to Denver was at one point weighed, and I think would be very successful. What I think would be extremely successful but has never been studied is I80-I10 on the CONO route.

Has any evaluation ever been made of an autotrain-like service that begins in Lorton (say), breaks in say, San Antonio and terminates in LA? No niggling--just LD transport of vehicle and driver.
I don't know, but am assuming Florida is especially attractive as a sun and sea destination for people from the north east, and maybe to a lesser degree from across the broader mid-west, offering them a means to escape grey winters. LA (and its broader area) is pretty much a rival to Florida in that respect, so the number of people wishing to commute between the two will be much lower.

No, there was at one point service from Louisville to Florida, which caused the failure of the private AutoTrain. I think the service is only really economically viable on 16-20 hour runs over flat country. Mountains really dampen the schedules of mixed trains more than regular passenger service. Chicago to Denver was at one point weighed, and I think would be very successful. What I think would be extremely successful but has never been studied is I80-I10 on the CONO route.
Not only is it 16-20 hours over flat terrain, but there's a market of people who are staying over long enough to make it worth their while to bring their car along rather than rent one. Maybe Chicago - New Oerleans might work, though I don't think there are as many snowbirds going to that part of the Gulf Coast. Not sure about Chicago - Denver, as the vacationers are al heading for ther mountains, and, presumably they would be let off in Denver and have to drive through the mountains on their own. What might be interesting to study would be a service that runs from Denver to Grand Junction, allowing people to avoid having to drive over the mountains, especially in snowy weather. That might also be attractive to truckers, too. Also, a similar service from Reno to Sacramento to allow drivers to avoid driving the Donner Pass.

The Upper Midwest to Florida is a great market for an autotrain, and I don't think the others compare. Snowbirds who spend half the year in the South, and vacationers spending a week at the theme parks. Kankakee to Sanford! But it would need the freight route that misses the mountains. Unlikely.

Not only is it 16-20 hours over flat terrain, but there's a market of people who are staying over long enough to make it worth their while to bring their car along rather than rent one
We have discussed this many times...the Northeast to Florida, is a very unique market that is not matched anywhere else, as far as "snowbirds" go...

We have discussed this many times...the Northeast to Florida, is a very unique market that is not matched anywhere else, as far as "snowbirds" go...
As a snowbird in a group that has a large Midwest contingent, the destination of choice is the Northwest Florida panhandle, near the Alabama border. That's a full day's drive from the southern terminus of the current Auto Train. Unlike the disaster that is I-95, our group members primarily use I-65, which is relatively flat, seldom busy and less impacted by severe winter weather than the more hilly Eastern options. Therefore it just makes sense to drive one's own vehicle, and parking lots between Panama City and Mobile are literally full of license plates from the Midwest states, Ontario and Manitoba. Not sure where the top end of an Auto Train "funnel" would have to be to capture the most users, but not sure the present southern terminus in Sanford would be that practical either.

IMO what causes AutoTrain a success is that it only takes 2 train sets + spares to operate daily service both ways. As well, just the 2 end stations and the intermediate servicing facility at Florence which also services the Meteor & Palmetto. Almost all of the proposals require 4 train sets. However, 3 day a week service would only require 2 sets but Amtrak would have 2 (or more) terminals that would only see intermittent use. Building two terminals costs big bucks.

We see how 3 day a week service causes dispatchers not getting used to that operation. Look also at the pandemic's terrible operation at fewer than daily OTP. Now maybe if Amtrak gets enough Superliner-3s the present rolling cars might make

As a snowbird in a group that has a large Midwest contingent, the destination of choice is the Northwest Florida panhandle, near the Alabama border. That's a full day's drive from the southern terminus of the current Auto Train. Unlike the disaster that is I-95, our group members primarily use I-65, which is relatively flat, seldom busy and less impacted by severe winter weather than the more hilly Eastern options. Therefore it just makes sense to drive one's own vehicle, and parking lots between Panama City and Mobile are literally full of license plates from the Midwest states, Ontario and Manitoba. Not sure where the top end of an Auto Train "funnel" would have to be to capture the most users, but not sure the present southern terminus in Sanford would be that practical either.
A fellow snowbird but from the Northeast however. There is a large Midwest contingent on both coast of Florida. The ones I know are in southwest Florida. I take my parents to Florida down and back every year on the Auto Train. I still have to drive 4 hours to the final destination from Sanford Fl. Sanford might not be a practical termination for the panhandle of Florida but it works for most of Florida. I assure you there are plenty of license plates in Southwest and Southeast Florida from the Midwest, Ontario and Manitoba. The worse part of driving on I95 is north of Lorton VA. I95 south of Lorton is less congested, less prone to severe weather and relatively flat. Thus the Auto Train offers no relief from the worse parts of I95. What it does provide is relief from driving for 1 to 2 days and wear and tear on your vehicle. Yes, I would like the Auto Train to have further north and south terminuses but I think it works okay for most people. If there was a Midwest auto train it would be sold out on every trip just like the Northeast Auto Train.

Back