Amtrak Dining and Cafe Service discussion 2024 H1

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you believe Amtrak Vacations are misleading potential customers with this image depicting Flex Dining meals? Given the quality of the last few Flex dining meals I've experienced, I'd much rather eat the plate! I believe these are the Caprese skewers served on western routes with traditional dining.

Attachments

• Amtrak Flex Dining.png
    Amtrak Flex Dining.png
    293.8 KB · Views: 3
Can you believe Amtrak Vacations are misleading potential customers with this image depicting Flex Dining meals? Given the quality of the last few Flex dining meals I've experienced, I'd much rather eat the plate! I believe these are the Caprese skewers served on western routes with traditional dining.
Yeah, the fact that it has a plate is a clue that it's not a flex meal, which in my experience would be served in its original plastic or aluminum storage tub. Of course, Amtrak Vacations is not Amtrak.

I see no reason why the Eastern trains could not offer these Shish Kabob skewers. They can be precooked, plated, refrigerated and reheated in the convection oven. The Cardinal always did stuff like this before the horrible flex meals were introduced.

Just heard from a service attendant on the empire builder that there is a menu refresh in the works ‘in about a month’.

I inquired what he heard was in the works, and he mentioned some changes - but all seemed minor.

At lunchtime he mentioned a different sand which option.

At dinner, he mentioned the removal of the lemon cake (did not inquire about if that would be replaced with something else.

He also said chicken entree at dinner might have a different sauce?

Anyways, guess we’ll see if any of that holds to be true

That came sooner than expected! The new menu is already on the Amtrak site.

A456E6F1-90B3-4277-819F-5DAAB71E222F.jpeg
43445D2D-81AF-4A7C-AA33-3A7A34D1A6A5.jpeg

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...routes/Long-Distance-Dining-Car-Menu-0424.pdf

Sad news- did away with the goat cheese salad which was really good. Patty melt looks intriguing though.

Honestly not thrilled with the changes. Less variety, more vegan protein which is problematic for many allergies.

Yet again I really wish they had an option to do sleepers without the meals, as outside of breakfast I'd rather eat something I brought, especially on a long go as I only have one option each for lunch & dinner unless I order from the kid's menu.

Still no changes on flex it seems. Perhaps those are next?

The omelette / scrambled eggs and the burger / patty melt are just slightly different ways of serving the same things. Dessert choices have gone from three to two. Oh well, I guess we can be grateful they're still staffing the dining cars...

My two favorites on the Silvers are gone: Chili baked potato for lunch, and Rigatoni Bolognese for dinner. Sorry to see the lemon cake go; it was a nice alternative. We'll have to see whether the new Chocolate Spoon Cake (whatever that is) measures up to the mousse.

I noticed that whipped cream is no longer listed on the French toast. Guess they won't be stocking it anymore. Some chefs put some on the brownie at lunch, which was a nice touch.

Too bad the patty melt is on sourdough. I do like sourdough but I always thought a patty melt was on rye.

Otherwise, besides being grilled, it is somewhat a cheeseburger.

Too bad the patty melt is on sourdough. I do like sourdough but I always thought a patty melt was on rye.

Otherwise, besides being grilled, it is somewhat a cheeseburger.
In my experience, a patty melt is usually made with rye. But I like sourdough and I enjoy a patty melt, so I'll gladly give it a try next time.

Yeah, it's basically a cheeseburger, only grilled and with grilled onions.

I'm not too enthusiastic about the revised menu. There seem to be fewer options, and the apparent loss of the lemon cake is a shame. I do like the blueberry cake, but they tend to run out of it. 😞

If only they would add a non-alcohol beer to the bar selection to go with the patty melt... 🍺

more vegan protein which is problematic for many allergies.

Yet again I really wish they had an option to do sleepers without the meals, as outside of breakfast I'd rather eat something I brought, especially on a long go as I only have one option each for lunch & dinner unless I order from the kid's menu.

Still no changes on flex it seems. Perhaps those are next?
I assume you mean a sleeper without meals and reduce the price a bit.

Can you elaborate about the vegan protein and allergies? This is something I need educating about to be honest.

Trimetbusfan,

Thanks for posting the new menu. It was nice to see that the Railroad French Toast is still being offered. (Although I’m on a wheat free diet, I usually share part of my 3-egg omelet with Pat in exchange for half a slice of her Railroad French Toast order.) The Natural Angus Burger is still there, too, although I wish they’d serve it with sweet potato chips rather than “kettle” (i.e. potato) chips. The Atlantic Salmon is another one of my favorites and I’m glad that it is still available. The dessert menu doesn’t offer much to those on a diet. Some years ago, the choices included tapioca pudding as a low-calory alternative. It must have popular since it was usually sold out by the second night. (It shouldn’t be too hard to stock something like that so why not bring it back?)

All things considered the new menu will work out for just fine for us.

Can you elaborate about the vegan protein and allergies? This is something I need educating about to be honest.

The issue with vegan proteins is the variety of sources for said protein. Common sources in commercial vegan meats are soy, peas, beans, mushrooms, mung beans, or vital wheat gluten (otherwise known as seitan). The most “advanced” plant-based meats are often a mix of some of those proteins plus added plant oils & flavor / texture additives.

Of those sources, soy & some pea proteins can cross react for some folks with nut allergies. Chickpea / garbanzo cross reacts for peanut in some folks. And the whole thing is going to be out for anyone with a gluten allergy or grain allergies, as many of them use gluten as protein or some type of yeast to enhance flavor / texture.

Given Amtrak's less than stellar record on disclosing ingredients when asked for medical reasons, it's a minefield particularly when you consider cooking vegan & non vegan options on the same equipment.

I have mixed feelings about that...on the one hand, I would also rather have the option to buy 'extra's' (meals), on an "ala carte" basis, buying only what I want, but if they did that, stocking the food based on prediction's of sales is more complicated, could be more expensive, and also result in more wasted perishable items.
And the fact that sleeper accommodation's are still relatively expensive even if food wasn't included, having it included seems to add value to the high price, at least for some.... 🤷‍♂️

I like some of the breakfast and dinner choices, but don’t see much at lunch that I would be interested in since I don’t eat burgers, don’t care for Caesar salad or chili, and am tired of vegan burgers. To be fair, I don’t think lunch was ever the strongest of the three meals even in the good old days.

I’m glad to see a couple of basic meals — the salmon and the chicken — at dinner. The pasta primavera could go either way—fusilli (rotini) pasta is short and curly so can be tough if not cooked right, and vegan primavera sauce could mean anything.

Now for the desserts: I have just done some serious research on chocolate spoon cake. It seems to come in two varieties—a true layer cake, with layers of cake and pudding in between each other or a round cake in a dish with chocolate pudding buried in the middle (sort of like the molten lava cake that was so popular for a while).

Looking forward to reports from people riding soon and trying the new menus—especially reports on the pasta and chocolate cake.

The issue with vegan proteins is the variety of sources for said protein. Common sources in commercial vegan meats are soy, peas, beans, mushrooms, mung beans, or vital wheat gluten (otherwise known as seitan). The most “advanced” plant-based meats are often a mix of some of those proteins plus added plant oils & flavor / texture additives.

Of those sources, soy & some pea proteins can cross react for some folks with nut allergies. Chickpea / garbanzo cross reacts for peanut in some folks. And the whole thing is going to be out for anyone with a gluten allergy or grain allergies, as many of them use gluten as protein or some type of yeast to enhance flavor / texture.

Given Amtrak's less than stellar record on disclosing ingredients when asked for medical reasons, it's a minefield particularly when you consider cooking vegan & non vegan options on the same equipment.
Are there options to eat vegan and not have the above included ? Can one be vegan and be allergic to gluten. I eat meat and do not have problems with gluten. I respect those that forgo meat at the various levels of vegetarianism (I wish I could do it for environmental reasons) but what options are there for those allergic to gluten and tree nuts?

Are there options to eat vegan and not have the above included ? Can one be vegan and be allergic to gluten. I eat meat and do not have problems with gluten. I respect those that forgo meat at the various levels of vegetarianism (I wish I could do it for environmental reasons) but what options are there for those allergic to gluten and tree nuts?

Yes and no. There are vegans who only eat beans, or who forego the faux meat all together because they don't care for it or are allergic. But it absolutely limits options when dining out, often to just a salad or vegetables. Most end up carrying food or simply eating before / after, but that is not an easy option on a long distance train ride. Before the advent of the faux meats it was actually easier, as many places did some type of dish that was bean based which is the least likely of the non-meat proteins to cause issues.

In the case of Amtrak, if someone is vegan AND has allergies to gluten & faux meat protein sources....it leaves nothing beyond perhaps fresh fruit at breakfast. Maybe a salad if one is lucky and croutons & cheese is packaged separately.

Even my daughter, with only a few allergies {nuts, peanut, oat, avocado and shellfish}, has minimal options for each meal. She can risk a few others given her oat issues are easily controlled & not life threatening, but it is a gamble that may make her feel bad for the rest of the trip.

It also makes me wonder - does Amtrak do anything for those requiring Kosher meals? I don't think there's anything on the menu that works with Kosher either, given the meat & dairy separation rules.

It shouldn't be difficult to allow one to uncouple the meals for medical or religious reasons.

Now for the desserts: I have just done some serious research on chocolate spoon cake. It seems to come in two varieties—a true layer cake, with layers of cake and pudding in between each other or a round cake in a dish with chocolate pudding buried in the middle (sort of like the molten lava cake that was so popular for a while).
In New York, we used to call the devil's food chocolate cake mixed with the chocolate pudding, "Blackout Cake". I liked it, and haven't seen it anywhere else since I left NY for FL.

Back