Advantages/Disadvantages of making reservations using both our AGR Numbers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both Pat and I have AGR numbers. However, when we make our Amtrak reservations, we only provide my number. What advantage if any would we gain if we used both our AGR numbers? (We prefer that all our accumulated AGR travel points be in same account rather than having to be charged points to transfer Pat’s points to my account.)

Both Pat and I have AGR numbers. However, when we make our Amtrak reservations, we only provide my number. What advantage if any would we gain if we used both our AGR numbers? (We prefer that all our accumulated AGR travel points be in same account rather than having to be charged points to transfer Pat’s points to my account.)
Even if you are paying for the trip, by providing Pat's number she is earning her own points for the trip. She would earn points for her portion of the basic rail fare (not the accomodation charge). If you don't do that, those points are lost.
We each have our own AGR accounts and seperate credit cards. If we have to pay ($$$) for a trip I'll provide both of our numbers.

For redemptions, it depends on our point balances. For an upcoming trip this fall we used my wife's points for one part (train) of the trip and my points for another part (train). Each reservation, which are under different names, has both of us named as passengers. Collectively, we had enough points for the entire trip but each of us individually could only pay (redeem) for part of the trip so, it was divided based on indivudual point availability.
Occasionally, one of us will "gift" points to the other, as needed, to ensure sufficient points are available. I don't, as a rule, gift or move points from one account to another.

Last edited:
Back