Union Depot (Station) St. Paul, MN

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be traveling to Union Depot in St. Paul, MN, and will be arriving around 11 PM during the winter months, which is also after the station has closed. I understand there is a Hyatt Hotel quite close to the station, but what is the best way to get there at that late hour and with the cold and snow of winter?

Thanks!

Kim

The station building will still be open to ticketed passengers - the "closing" of the station at 10 pm is basically just a way for them to try and stop people loitering in the station overnight. The building stays open for ticketed passengers during all train/intercity bus arrivals and departures, even if they're running late.

The most intuitive way would be to go down to the ticketing counter/baggage claim level, exit onto Kellogg, then take a left and walk up about a block to the Hyatt Place. It'd probably be slightly quicker to exit via the bus bay, but there's no clear exit signage and stairs are involved, and it'd be easy to get turned around and wind up exiting the wrong direction (and adding a lot of walking time.)

We are going to drive up from Kansas to catch the Empire Builder in St. Paul to take to Seattle. The train is "supposed" to get there at 11 p.m. Do they have restaurants or a bar at the station while we are waiting? Anything nearby? Do they have a Metropolitan lounge for Sleeper passengers? Google says we can park our car overnight across the street. Anyone done this? Our car will probably be there for 10 nights.

We are going to drive up from Kansas to catch the Empire Builder in St. Paul to take to Seattle. The train is "supposed" to get there at 11 p.m. Do they have restaurants or a bar at the station while we are waiting? Anything nearby? Do they have a Metropolitan lounge for Sleeper passengers? Google says we can park our car overnight across the street. Anyone done this? Our car will probably be there for 10 nights.
The #7 train generally runs fairly close to on time arriving St. Paul - departing close to on time - - -

Parking is available in 4 lots around the depot LINK:
https://www.uniondepot.org/
Look this LINK over for answers to most of your questions.

Sheltered parking is across the street (Kellogg) from the depot and right under the depot itself
less expensive parking east of the depot out in the open winter weather.
Last minute run to catch the train - plan on 15-20 minutes to park your car and get orientated where you
need to go - - -
From street side Amtrak ticket office you need to go up two levels escalator/elevator to the great hall and
Metropolitan lounge and then transit the hall to stairs elevators to track side.

There are no *real close* restaurants bars - all depends on the amount of waiting time you have to venture further
away from the Depot for food/drink.

The Depot is frequently used for civic parties - weddings etc. and could be busy - - -

Union Depot is not bad - but the homeless folks are around seeking shelter for the night and may pose a
panhandling presence - the area is policed to a degree - call 911 if threatened - - -

The Hyatt hotel while close would still entail a block walk out in the winter weather whatever global warming will provide.

The Metropolitan lounge is unattended - ask Amtrak ticket office agent for card/code to enter -
Sleeper passengers ONLY (personally nothing to write home about - but it is out of the common waiting area)

Arriving or departing once down at track side - you will be in for an exposed weather walk to your coach -
Could be a few yards (Seattle section and then the Portland section 5-6-7 cars)

That is pretty much what it is in a nut shell from a local resident and frequent user of Union Depot.
More ???s ask away !

There is a restaurant in St. Paul Union Depot, Station 81 open to 8PM Tues-Fri, 4PM Sat-Mon. The Urban Wok is directly across 4th St. from the front of the Depot and the past Light Rail stop. It’s open until 11PM. A couple more are further up Wacouta Ave. at 6th St. The Bulldog is open until midnight. There is Waiting Lounge in the Depot but not a Metropolitan Lounge. Per Amtrak:

Unattended, separate waiting rooms are available in New Orleans, St. Louis, St. Paul/Minneapolis and Wilmington stations. Sleeping car passengers and Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus and Select Executive members are welcome at all unstaffed lounges. Business Class passengers may also use the lounge in St. Louis.

The Lowertown Parking Ramp is directly across the street (west side). It’s connected by a Skyway directly into the Depot. I don’t know the policy for extended stays. It charges $14.00 for 24 hours, typical downtown price.. Perhaps call and ask; 651-291-0523. It charges $14.00 for 24 hours.

I will be traveling to Union Depot in St. Paul, MN, and will be arriving around 11 PM during the winter months, which is also after the station has closed. I understand there is a Hyatt Hotel quite close to the station, but what is the best way to get there at that late hour and with the cold and snow of winter?

Thanks!

Kim
Just re-reading your post of 10/23 - since it was a over a couple of months ago - did you complete your travels plans without
any hitches hangups etc. ?

Unless you have some special reason for boarding the Empire Builder that late in the day in St. Paul, I'd strongly recommend getting on in the nice farming town of Columbus WI (CBS) instead. It's an unstaffed station now, but does offer checked baggage service according to this: Columbus, WI (CBS) | Amtrak There was plenty of free parking at and by the station the last time I was there and I've left my truck there for a week or more without any problem.

There are a few places to eat in Columbus and many many more in Madison which is about 10 miles from CBS. I'd drive an extra two or three hours to avoid the traffic in the St. Paul area. In addition, you might even get dinner on the train if you're going in a sleeper.

Last edited:
Columbus, WI takes us way far east of our destination and is almost two hours more on our drive. Kansas City to St. Paul is straight north of KC. That's why we chose it. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Our plans changed and we will be boarding EB in late August now.

I'd drive an extra two or three hours to avoid the traffic in the St. Paul area. In addition, you might even get dinner on the train if you're going in a sleeper.
The difference is not that great. Google Maps says CBS is only 1h 21m longer and 75 miles farther (17% longer and 21% farther) than MSP. The $140 savings in parking fees, the probable 300 yard savings in the walk to the train, the lack of potential homeless encounters, doing all that when the Sun's still up and getting dinner after boarding if in a sleeper seem (to me at least) to tip the scales in favor of CBS.

Here's what the CBS station looks like when seen from the far track:

IMG_0617b.JPG

Not nearly as spooky as inside MSP Union Station after sunset! :)

Columbus, WI takes us way far east of our destination and is almost two hours more on our drive. Kansas City to St. Paul is straight north of KC. That's why we chose it. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Our plans changed and we will be boarding EB in late August now.

Have a look at Red Wing, MN for your boarding point. That's the last station it stops at before St. Paul. They have long-term parking available in the basement of the parking garage for the nearby St. James hotel, and when I last used it, it was free for my entire trip. Mind you, that was 9 years ago now.

The difference is not that great. Google Maps says CBS is only 1h 21m longer and 75 miles farther (17% longer and 21% farther) than MSP. The $140 savings in parking fees, the probable 300 yard savings in the walk to the train, the lack of potential homeless encounters, doing all that when the Sun's still up and getting dinner after boarding if in a sleeper seem (to me at least) to tip the scales in favor of CBS.

Here's what the CBS station looks like when seen from the far track:

View attachment 35250

Not nearly as spooky as inside MSP Union Station after sunset! :)

Union Depot isn't spooky during the main train times either. Lots of people there, and I haven't had any issue during the train times. Parking also shouldn't be $140 unless they're parking in the sheltered lot or staying for 70 days - the furthest lot that's still officially Union Depot is $2/day and it's plenty fine.

That said, if they want more train time or want a shorter walk, La Crosse would make far more sense than Columbus. Still a fully staffed station, right off the interstate so no back roads to deal with, and an hour shorter drive than Columbus. As far as I'm aware parking is free and readily available there as well.

That said, if they want more train time or want a shorter walk, La Crosse would make far more sense than Columbus. Still a fully staffed station, right off the interstate so no back roads to deal with, and an hour shorter drive than Columbus. As far as I'm aware parking is free and readily available there as well.

Yes, I'd vote for La Crosse too. In addition to what you said, boarding there would also give you 2+ hours of train travel on one of the most scenic sections of the route where you're running alongside the Mississippi River and the bluffs either side of it. Just try to get a seat or room on the right side of the train for that, or else set up in the lounge car for it. If they're going in August now, there should still be plenty of light to see it all as well.

Union Depot isn't spooky during the main train times either. Lots of people there, and I haven't had any issue during the train times. Parking also shouldn't be $140 unless they're parking in the sheltered lot or staying for 70 days - the furthest lot that's still officially Union Depot is $2/day and it's plenty fine.

According to the website, even Lot B, which is sheltered and attached to the Depot, would only be $88 for 10 days including 2 weekend days.

Unless you have some special reason for boarding the Empire Builder that late in the day in St. Paul, I'd strongly recommend getting on in the nice farming town of Columbus WI (CBS) instead. It's an unstaffed station now, but does offer checked baggage service according to this: Columbus, WI (CBS) | Amtrak There was plenty of free parking at and by the station the last time I was there and I've left my truck there for a week or more without any problem.

There are a few places to eat in Columbus and many many more in Madison which is about 10 miles from CBS. I'd drive an extra two or three hours to avoid the traffic in the St. Paul area. In addition, you might even get dinner on the train if you're going in a sleeper.
Madison is about 45 - 50 miles from Columbus. Roughly an hours' drive one-way.

Traveling up from Kansas I35 is the most direct fastest route.
A little over 400 miles from Kansas city to either Twin City.

Option 1:
At the junction of I35 and I90 (Albert Lea) right exit onto
I90 and head east to La Crosse - details I don't have this is
if you are boarding Amtrak at La Crosse.

Option 2:
At Burnsville you meet the split I35W into Minneapolis and
I35E into St. Paul and the Union Depot.
Take I35E crossing the Mississippi river at Mendota making
a right exit onto Shepard Road to downtown.
At the 7th traffic light Sibley street make a left turn and
bear right into the "B" parking lot entrance -OR- go up
one block and right turn into the heated sheltered ramp
Lot A
-OR- right turn on Kellogg to the open air parking lots C & D
--- you will pass the Amtrak ticket street level office this way.

The distance from the I35/I90 intersection to either MSP or
LSE is about the same - put together what other posters
have offered for the decision that best fits your plan.
Being MSP local I would favor Option 2 but it does have
extra expenses (parking for one) and the boarding of the
train is such a hassle upstairs/escalators/elevators and
then downstairs/elevators to trackside.
Either way LSE or MSP your beginning travel will be at
the start of nightfall until daybreak in North Dakota.

LSE your peak viewing time (right side of the train) up river
to STP will diminish very quickly at Winona and dark at
Red Wing - at the Hastings river crossing the left side
is the river side all the way into STP - but due to the
darkness - nothing to see here folks.

At LSE the stop to board and discharge passengers is
very brief less than a couple of minutes.
At STP the stop is scheduled for about 20 minutes

Arriving a day or two early at MSP hotels on the
I494 strip adjacent to the MSP airport would generally
be less expensive than the downtown hotels.
But check out the rates - especially if you have an
affinity relationship with a chain. Hotel airport parking
is free and the places to eat numerous.
It is about a 15 minute trip for the airport location
to Union Depot - traffic not a terrible concern !

Traveling up from Kansas I35 is the most direct fastest route.
A little over 400 miles from Kansas city to either Twin City.

Option 1:
At the junction of I35 and I90 (Albert Lea) right exit onto
I90 and head east to La Crosse - details I don't have this is
if you are boarding Amtrak at La Crosse.

Option 2:
At Burnsville you meet the split I35W into Minneapolis and
I35E into St. Paul and the Union Depot.
Take I35E crossing the Mississippi river at Mendota making
a right exit onto Shepard Road to downtown.
At the 7th traffic light Sibley street make a left turn and
bear right into the "B" parking lot entrance -OR- go up
one block and right turn into the heated sheltered ramp
Lot A
-OR- right turn on Kellogg to the open air parking lots C & D
--- you will pass the Amtrak ticket street level office this way.

The distance from the I35/I90 intersection to either MSP or
LSE is about the same - put together what other posters
have offered for the decision that best fits your plan.
Being MSP local I would favor Option 2 but it does have
extra expenses (parking for one) and the boarding of the
train is such a hassle upstairs/escalators/elevators and
then downstairs/elevators to trackside.
Either way LSE or MSP your beginning travel will be at
the start of nightfall until daybreak in North Dakota.

LSE your peak viewing time (right side of the train) up river
to STP will diminish very quickly at Winona and dark at
Red Wing - at the Hastings river crossing the left side
is the river side all the way into STP - but due to the
darkness - nothing to see here folks.

At LSE the stop to board and discharge passengers is
very brief less than a couple of minutes.
At STP the stop is scheduled for about 20 minutes

Arriving a day or two early at MSP hotels on the
I494 strip adjacent to the MSP airport would generally
be less expensive than the downtown hotels.
But check out the rates - especially if you have an
affinity relationship with a chain. Hotel airport parking
is free and the places to eat numerous.
It is about a 15 minute trip for the airport location
to Union Depot - traffic not a terrible concern !
This was an amazing amount of great information. Thank you for taking the time!

Just re-reading your post of 10/23 - since it was a over a couple of months ago - did you complete your travels plans without
any hitches hangups etc. ?
We won't board until late August (I'm a planner). Also, we will be waiting until around 11 p.m. to board (if it's on time) so that is why I had all the questions. Really appreciate everyones reponses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back