LAX and Philippe's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hello

Lead Service Attendant
We have never been able to make it to Philippe's ... but we will be on the train from SAN-LAX on a Saturday afternoon, before catching the FLyAway to the airport.

Would there be any problems if we check our luggage SAN-LAX ... walk to Philippe's upon arrival into LAX ... get the food to go ... and go back and claim our luggage (realizing that we are not the fastest walkers on the earth)?

Not at all! You can pick up your luggage at anytime the baggage claim (parcel room at LAX) is open!

I have picked my bags the following morning, after taking the CS from PDX to SAC, spending the day in SAC and then coming to LA the next morning. (My bags stayed on the CS and went to LAX!)

it is so enjoyable to sit at one of phillipe's long tables with sawdust under your feet i hope you have time to eat there. i suppose they can wrap sandwiches to go though i'm not sure i have ever seen anyone do so
Tons of takeout at Phillipe's. Lots of regulars on the Surfliner do takeout and eat on the train.

Philippe's is not exactly across the street from Union Station. You need to walk east on Alameda about two blocks, once you exit the main doors of Union Station. East is a right turn out of the station. The restaurant will be on the north side of Alameda. When you see the Chevron gas station on the corner of Alameda and Caesar Chavez, you should spot the Philippe's sign to the east.

If at all possible do eat in and at least check out the "Southern Pacific Room" which is off the main dining area. It has regular booths but of much more interest are the O scale models and pictures. If you want something to snack on later, on your way back to the station stop by Cielto Lindo at the far north end of Olvera Street (where it comes out on Chavez/Macy across from the Chevron Station)and get some Taquitos to go-they are beyond GOOD!

Oh good ... we may finally get there!

We have relatives to meet at LAX so there may be time to eat in. If Philippe's is half as good as Giordano's was ... we'll be in heaven!!

Oh good ... we may finally get there!

We have relatives to meet at LAX so there may be time to eat in. If Philippe's is half as good as Giordano's was ... we'll be in heaven!!
You should go there after you arrive at LAUS, but before you take the FlyAway to LAX, because you'd just have to take it right back to get to Philippe's from LAX :rolleyes:

zephyr17 ... agreed ... maybe we'll pick up some sandwiches for them also. They can eat them on our way to Long Beach!

OlympianHiawatha and smee ... great ideas ... I only went through 4 pages of those photos and I was hungry already! We're definitely planning on picking up mustard to bring home for the family.

it is so enjoyable to sit at one of phillipe's long tables with sawdust under your feet i hope you have time to eat there. i suppose they can wrap sandwiches to go though i'm not sure i have ever seen anyone do so
Tons of takeout at Phillipe's. Lots of regulars on the Surfliner do takeout and eat on the train.

Philippe's is not exactly across the street from Union Station. You need to walk east on Alameda about two blocks, once you exit the main doors of Union Station. East is a right turn out of the station. The restaurant will be on the north side of Alameda. When you see the Chevron gas station on the corner of Alameda and Caesar Chavez, you should spot the Philippe's sign to the east.
Just a small quibble, but some people may get it wrong. Turn right out of the station alright, but that is north, not east.

:hi: Philippes also serves a really First Rate Breakfast although, alas, the 9 cent coffee has goine the way of the 5 cent Candy Bar! Last Fall when the AU Gang was hanging out in the Traxx lounge waiting to catch the Starlight to Seaatle, a couple of our members (no names,you know who you are! :lol: )made a run to Philippes for Lamb Dips which were eaten @ the Resturant and also got some "To GO" for themselves and another member that was waiting in the Lounge! ("Bet you can't eat just one!" :wub: ) The Travel Channel just had a show last night on Philippes and the Host (Adam Richmond of Man vs. Food) Rated the Beef #1/ Lamb #2, Pork #3 and Turkey #4 and as was said, found the Famous Mustard Pretty Spicey but Delicious! Be sure and get the Double Dip, the Single Dip is for Rookies! ^_^

Be sure and get the Double Dip, the Single Dip is for Rookies! ^_^
So Jim goes for the no dip!
laugh.gif

Just FYI, there is no "Philippe's"...it's "Philippe", NO apostrophe, NO "s"...I hate to seem like the spelling/grammar ****, but it's not too far from "Amtrack" and the use of "SCA" rather than the correct "TAS"...

I told my mom on our return trip from LAX, we have to go to Philippes. Getting tired of just going to Olvera Street, especially just having been in Mexico.

Glad this post was posted!

Just FYI, there is no "Philippe's"...it's "Philippe", NO apostrophe, NO "s"...
The official name may be "Philippe the Original," but there's nothing wrong with using "Philippe's restaurant" (note the capitalization) as an informal name, especially given that it was founded by someone named Philippe.

The restaurant even uses "Philippe's" as a shortened form on their own website, for example, right on the landing page: "There is a unique style of service at Philippe's"...

I hate to seem like the spelling/grammar ****, but it's not too far from "Amtrack" and the use of "SCA" rather than the correct "TAS"...
Similarly, people using "SCA" here are almost always using an abbreviation for the informal term "sleeping car attendant," rather than using it specifically to refer to the official Amtrak job title for the attendant in a sleeping car.

I haven't seen "Amtrack" used much here, but then, the correct spelling does appear at the top of every page. (And when I typed that incorrect spelling, my Macintosh even tried to correct it to "Amtrak" for me! :) )

Just FYI, there is no "Philippe's"...it's "Philippe", NO apostrophe, NO "s"...
The official name may be "Philippe the Original," but there's nothing wrong with using "Philippe's restaurant" (note the capitalization) as an informal name, especially given that it was founded by someone named Philippe.

The restaurant even uses "Philippe's" as a shortened form on their own website, for example, right on the landing page: "There is a unique style of service at Philippe's"...

I hate to seem like the spelling/grammar ****, but it's not too far from "Amtrack" and the use of "SCA" rather than the correct "TAS"...
Similarly, people using "SCA" here are almost always using an abbreviation for the informal term "sleeping car attendant," rather than using it specifically to refer to the official Amtrak job title for the attendant in a sleeping car.

I haven't seen "Amtrack" used much here, but then, the correct spelling does appear at the top of every page. (And when I typed that incorrect spelling, my Macintosh even tried to correct it to "Amtrak" for me! :) )
If you check again on the Philippe website, you'll see the use of "Philippe's" is a proper possessive ("Philippe's Limited Edition Bobblehead" and "Philippe's Etiquette"). It's just like saying "ARCO's gasoline"...you wouldn't want to say "I'm going to ARCO's for gas" unless you wanted to sound like a person of marginal intellect. And if some foamers want to rename every position at Amtrak, why not change Conductor to Radio And Ticket Person, and Engineer / Train Driver to Train Make-it-goer? Sticking with proper, official titles would go a long way toward intelligent, concise discussion.

Also, if you want to see "Amtrack" used, drive down Interstate 60, westbound around Pomona, and you'll see a CalTrans highway sign that says exactly that. I continue the fight to use proper spelling and proper names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back