Weight Limit

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frugalist

Lead Service Attendant
No, this isn't another question about the weight limits on baggage. It's about people! :cool:

My wife and I are planning a trip from Florida to New York next year. We are hoping to book AGR awards in a roomette. We are both (how shall I keep this delicate?) .... chunky. :eek: I know the roomette will be a bit snug, but it'll be nice to have our own room and it's certainly better than trying to sleep in a coach seat.

Is there a weight limit for a passenger in one of those beds? I don't think my wife would appreciate it too much if my upper berth came crashing down on her while we were speeding our way through the Carolinas one night (she's already informed me that I am assigned to the upper berth).

Thanks in advance.

This past summer my sister and her husband had a roomette on our trip west (SWC). My sister is heavy and she slept in the top bunk and it did not crash. While I have never seen a weight limit it would take a lot to have it come crashing down. IMHO I would say if you can get up there it will hold you.

I might add that they (my sister and her husband) were sorry that they did no book a bedroom like we did. It was very tight for them but they were on the train for two nights not just one. Roomettes are small and can be uncomfortable and confining!

Yeah, those upper berths are super strong.........have you ever compared them to upper berths on cruise ships? Man, those things on cruise ships are so flimsy, can't believe it when I saw how flimsy and un-supportive it was. The ones on trains, however, are truly strong, with lots of heavy metal holding everything in place.

Yeah, those upper berths are super strong.........have you ever compared them to upper berths on cruise ships? Man, those things on cruise ships are so flimsy, can't believe it when I saw how flimsy and un-supportive it was. The ones on trains, however, are truly strong, with lots of heavy metal holding everything in place.
Fortunately, I've never had to contend with an upper berth on a cruise ship. On the cruises my wife and I have taken, we've always gotten a cabin configured with one double bed. Makes for a very nice and romantic ride. :)

The upper bunk actually rests on top of the seat backs, so in addition to be locked into place by metal bars into the wall, the bulk of the weight of the bed rests on the hard plastic shells for the seats. I've never tried this and I'm not about to, but if I had to bet, you could probably get away with at least a 1,000 lbs up there before it would start to be a problem.

One thing I will mention for future reference, even though it won't be a problem for you on this trip. The Viewliner room is taller than the Superliner room. Addtionally, the Viewliner beds are tapered at the foot end of the bed. The taper gives one room to climb up to the upper bunk, and the 2-1/2 feet or so of clearance between you and the ceiling make things very easy in the Viewliner. At 5'11" I can sit fully upright in the top bunk.

Sadly this is not true of the Superliner cars. It can be a very snug fit trying to climb into that upper bunk between the wall and the un-tapered bed. And there is probably no more than a foot to a foot and a half of space between the ceiling and the bed. I cannot sit upright in this bunk.

Actually, Alan, you don't do the tightness justice. Not sit upright? I can't even lean up. In fact, in the Superliner Is I do fit. In the Superliner IIs, which are slightly snugger, my belly brushes up on cieling and I'm not THAT "chunky".

Actually, Alan, you don't do the tightness justice. Not sit upright? I can't even lean up. In fact, in the Superliner Is I do fit. In the Superliner IIs, which are slightly snugger, my belly brushes up on cieling and I'm not THAT "chunky".
Oh my gosh, that makes it hard for me to breathe!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess my Twiggy daughter will sleep in the bunk on our trip...not that I couldn't fit up there comfortably. :giggle:

If you can make it in the door then Amtrak's Superliner can support you. Just like the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Baily train. Sometimes I'm not sure which one I've boarded until I double-check the schedule.

As said, the upper berth on a Viewliner is no problem for the weight. The only problem may be (and I want to be delicate) is getting into the upper berth. The Silver trains (or any other trains) do not have a ladder in roomettes - there are 2 steps!
excl.gif

The upper berth probably weighs more than most of the people who use it. As was said on here already, the problem is not weight, but space. If you can get up in to the berth, it will hold you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back