No PPC on #14 tomorrow

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Jamie-

Service Attendant
Just got a call from Amtrak notifying us that our train tomorrow will not be traveling with a PPC. I thought they were all back in service? She didn't mention anything about a substitution either. Figures. First time in a sleeper on the CS and they pull the PPC. :(

Just got a call from Amtrak notifying us that our train tomorrow will not be traveling with a PPC. I thought they were all back in service? She didn't mention anything about a substitution either. Figures. First time in a sleeper on the CS and they pull the PPC. :(
Probably the best you can do at this point is hope for a Sightseer observation car as a sub, as opposed to the CCC/Diner Lite we were stuck with on the Tehachapi detour. At any rate, I do hope you have a fine trip, and give us a report.

Probably the best you can do at this point is hope for a Sightseer observation car as a sub, as opposed to the CCC/Diner Lite we were stuck with on the Tehachapi detour. At any rate, I do hope you have a fine trip, and give us a report.
I'd settle for either, but I have a feeling there won't be a substitution at all. That's happened to us before when we've had no lounge at all on the whole train. Just a makeshift Coach/Cafe. And that was on the Sunset.

I'd settle for either, but I have a feeling there won't be a substitution at all.
All the more reason for a trip report!
Yep, I just called and there will be no first class lounge at all. Meaning absolutely no perks at all. :( This royally bites!
I wouldn't trust some reservation agent to know if they are or aren't going to substitute a replacement car for the PPC. Most agents don't even know how to look up a trains consist, not to mention that it won't be finalized until tomorrow morning about two or three hours before departure. It will be up to the yard to see what, if anything they can do to put in a replacement for the PPC.

I'd settle for either, but I have a feeling there won't be a substitution at all.
All the more reason for a trip report!
Yep, I just called and there will be no first class lounge at all. Meaning absolutely no perks at all. :( This royally bites!
I wouldn't trust some reservation agent to know if they are or aren't going to substitute a replacement car for the PPC. Most agents don't even know how to look up a trains consist, not to mention that it won't be finalized until tomorrow morning about two or three hours before departure. It will be up to the yard to see what, if anything they can do to put in a replacement for the PPC.
Thanks Alan. Hopefully your right and they'll be some kind of substitute after all. I just hate being confined to my room (except for meals) because the same coach pax camp out in the lounge.

I just hate being confined to my room (except for meals) because the same coach pax camp out in the lounge.
Be assertive. Politely. The "campers" have assigned seats, and there's nothing in the fine print that entitles them to occupy the observation car for the duration. They rely on the timidity of other passengers to maintain their hoggish positions. Can't really tell you how to go about it, but I'm not timid. Something along the lines of, "Dude, you've been here for hours. Give somebody else a shot. Go back to your seat for awhile."

May not work on a stubborn "camper," but that's when it helps to have chatted up the crew early in the ride. They'll be on your side.

When boarding a long distance train like the Coast Starlight, I make a point of walking the train and meeting the crew shortly after boarding. They'll recognize you, and possibly be more helpful if an observation car "camper" situation arises.

We are riding north from LA to Oregon on Saturday. I sent an email today to the Amtrak customer service address via their website, asking about the PPC status. I was surprised to get a personal email back in only 2 hours, telling me that the cars were back in service. I am trusting they are correct, would love to hear from someone traveling today to confirm.

We are riding north from LA to Oregon on Saturday. I sent an email today to the Amtrak customer service address via their website, asking about the PPC status. I was surprised to get a personal email back in only 2 hours, telling me that the cars were back in service. I am trusting they are correct, would love to hear from someone traveling today to confirm.
I'm onboard and there is no first class lounge. No PPC, no Sightseer, no CCC, not even a second diner. They did the wine tasting in the main diner.

I'm onboard and there is no first class lounge. No PPC, no Sightseer, no CCC, not even a second diner. They did the wine tasting in the main diner.

An interesting note, we hit the air brakes a little before Salinas. Not sure why but our attendant said someone was too close to the tracks.

Thanks Jamie. I've replied back to the Amtrak CS Rep with your post, asking if she could research further.

Thanks Jamie. I've replied back to the Amtrak CS Rep with your post, asking if she could research further.
As I mentioned to Jamie in an earlier post, the agent/CS rep might know if the PPC is actually going to run or not for a specific train a few days out. But they won't know if there will be a subsitution until early that morning.

And if a PPC comes in with a problem the night before, then no one will know two days before that the next morning's train won't have a PPC.

Agents and CS reps don't put the trains together and they don't repair them, so they can only see what's in the computer and most of the info doesn't get into the computer until a few hours before any given train's departure from the originating station. In the case of the PPC's, since there are only 5, if one or more go out for long term problems, then and only then will agent's & CS' know about it early enough to actually warn passengers.

To those that denigrate Amtrak's email customer support, my personal (and somewhat extensive) experience has been more consistent with bookie's. I usually receive personal (not canned) replies within a couple of hours (and usually less--once I had a reply back in about 45 minutes).

Now, their accuracy may be on par with the phone agents' (i.e. not very good, and if you send multiple emails you might get multiple different responses--though you can then print the one you like the best and hold Amtrak to it! :lol: ), but their response time is quick and personal.

And they do exactly what I like with email-based customer service--if the issue is one that is out of their reach, they'll forward it to the appropriate party. I ended up getting a reply from a manager of Amtrak Express shipping once who confirmed for me their future plans on changing to electronic waybills and an online price quote system.

Just more of the Run the trains by a shoestring or worse thats taking place.. Everyone needs to write their congress people about the state of rail travel and express the idea that thanks to the congress we are now paying excessive amounts for rail travel and getting very little in return.. Granted the bureaucracy at amtrak and congress are oblivious to the publics problems when it comes to rail travel but maybe some day if we keep hounding them something will happen. It would seem that there is a bit of movement in that direction with the gas prices as they are..

Its just nearly beyond belief that we have reached the stage where the equipment that we base or decisions for a certain train on is subject to constant disappointment. The very reason many of us are willing to pay the kind of prices they are getting used to be because we could expect a certain level of service that made paying the price at least somewhat worth it.. But now days it seems very little is done to insure the public that the advertised level of service is maintained from running out of food when the train just left the station, to no repairs at seattle or where ever a major train turns so that a issue can be solved and not just put off leaving yet another set of passengers irritated. Its no way to run a railroad as the saying goes..

I guess we have been though all this for years with little to no improvements, if anything it only gets worse..

Found out a little bit of info from our dinning car attendant (who usually is in the PPC). The AC went out in two of the cars (so we're down to 3) and the car attendants refuse to work in there with no AC because all the windows turn it into a sauna. Just wanted to pass that along.

Actually, I did hear back from Amtrak CS today:

Thank you for contacting us.We did a research, to make sure that we are giving you the correct information and this is what we found:

Train #14 was without the Pacific Parlour on August 5th.

Train #11 will be without the Parlour car on August 7th.

Passengers were called to let them know of this fact.

Since you are traveling on Saturday, August 9th – barring unforeseen problems – we expect train #14 to include the Pacific Parlour car.

We hope this information will be of assistance.

Sincerely,

(name removed)

Amtrak Customer Service
Not only is this good news, but I am really pleasantly surprised with the quick response and good service. Looks like something is going right!

Actually, I did hear back from Amtrak CS today:
Thank you for contacting us.We did a research, to make sure that we are giving you the correct information and this is what we found:

Train #14 was without the Pacific Parlour on August 5th.

Train #11 will be without the Parlour car on August 7th.

Passengers were called to let them know of this fact.

Since you are traveling on Saturday, August 9th – barring unforeseen problems – we expect train #14 to include the Pacific Parlour car.

We hope this information will be of assistance.

Sincerely,

(name removed)

Amtrak Customer Service
Not only is this good news, but I am really pleasantly surprised with the quick response and good service. Looks like something is going right!
That's fantastic! And now we can extrapolate which trains on which dates will run without PPCs and which with, as long as the current consists keep running. Someone (not me, I'm busy today) wanna volunteer for this?

That's fantastic! And now we can extrapolate which trains on which dates will run without PPCs and which with, as long as the current consists keep running. Someone (not me, I'm busy today) wanna volunteer for this?
We could hope Amtrak's shops are efficient enough that this won't continue long. How hard can fixing an air conditioning system really be, and should it really take more than a few days?

Well for one thing you've got to get the parts. How old are these air conditioners? How long would it take to fix the AC in a 1975 Cadillac, including scaring up some parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back