Pacific Parlour Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessie Hokie

Train Attendant
I took the CS from SAC to PDX last Tuesday...what was offerred as the PPC was a diner/lounge (I believe the new Cross Country Cafe layout), # 37010. It was nice and new (outshopped in March 2008), but lacked the ambience I was expecting from the PPC. Few people used it, and the lower level was off limits (I believe it is set up as the kitchen). It offerred no particular advantage for sightseeing. A very limited cold lunch menu was offered, but the selection caused me to visit the diner instead. A poorly attended wine and cheese tasting was held in this car just prior to arrival at PDX, so I had to pass on that. I spent most of my time split between my roomette, the sightseer lounge and the diner...the PPC was just a walk-through car.

I took the CS from SAC to PDX last Tuesday...what was offerred as the PPC was a diner/lounge (I believe the new Cross Country Cafe layout), # 37010. It was nice and new (outshopped in March 2008), but lacked the ambience I was expecting from the PPC. Few people used it, and the lower level was off limits (I believe it is set up as the kitchen).
The bottom floor is off limits to pax; it contains the grills, freezers and refrigerators along with a bathroom for the crew. Not much to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
CCC? Diner Lite?? I call it JUNK, and like Chessie Hokie was disappointed when the PPC slot on the Tehachapi detour Starlight was filled by one of these monstrosities.

CCC? Diner Lite?? I call it JUNK, and like Chessie Hokie was disappointed when the PPC slot on the Tehachapi detour Starlight was filled by one of these monstrosities.
Concur.

Perhaps not junk, and certainly better than what other posts I've read suggest was the campground that inevitably sprung up on the other side of the dining car, but certainly bitter disappointment.

I think that, by definition, a diner/lounge is not a Pacific Parlour Car.

Charging $5 for the wine tasting was a pretty brain-dead idea, in my opinion. It's so marginal, that they just could have included it in the accommodation charge. Certainly, I wasn't going to pay for something that should be coming out of the marketing budgets of the west coast wine and cheese industries....

Now that you mention the cross country and the paying for wine tasting in the same message, it brings to mind something. When we rode the CS in late march a gentleman sat down next to us in the lounge and introduced him self as a Manager of Customer Service for Amtrak.. I have his name here somewhere but it is probably not important. At any rate he wanted to know how we were enjoying our trip and what improvements we would like to see. We had just spent two days without toilets working properly on the Zephyr among other issues so he got an ear full.

His discussion was of how they were planing to improve the CS and return it to a premium train. One of the things I recalled was his idea of a wine and cheese tasting, I thought he said at the station before departure, but maybe that was wrong. At any rate the idea to charge for it was in that conversation. He also wanted to know our opinion of the Cross Country Cafe since we had also ridden the CN to chicago.. I told him what I thought of the limited menu, cold food, and one cook. Plus the displeasure with no lounge that held more than four tables. He rattled off all the reasons why the Cross Country was doing so well and the "bottom line" had been greatly improved and sales were "Up". So I can see how if he had anything to do with it the CS might have ended up with both.. the fellow was with amtrak for six months he mentioned.. My opinion was he was more interested in cost cutting then real passenger satisfaction.

I have received at least three follow up questioners in the mail about the satisfaction of the Cross Country Car on trips to chicago., I never give it a great rating. A couple weeks ago I got a long telephone survey about the car and what I thought of it alone, and then in comparison with the service previously where it had the full diner and lounge.. You know which one won in my opinion! My wonder is what do they do with all those surveys, they must just "dump" them because I can't figure why they seem to be plowing ahead with them even though the crews and passengers do not like them..

I would have been highly disappointed had I expected the Pacific Parlor and got the Cross Country.. When we rode they were not running due to remodeling they said.. What did they remodel them for? It just shows how little understanding or concern Amtrak really has for the quality of experience they sell. I still content that at the prices they are willing to charge, nothing but the best possible service should be provided. When someone plans a trip for six months or more, and chooses a train for the experience it is supposed to offer, then amtrak should provide those services and equipment as advertised! But the disappointment of the passengers seems like something they take no responsibility for..

Now that you mention the cross country and the paying for wine tasting in the same message, it brings to mind something. When we rode the CS in late march a gentleman sat down next to us in the lounge and introduced him self as a Manager of Customer Service for Amtrak.. I have his name here somewhere but it is probably not important. At any rate he wanted to know how we were enjoying our trip and what improvements we would like to see. We had just spent two days without toilets working properly on the Zephyr among other issues so he got an ear full.
His discussion was of how they were planing to improve the CS and return it to a premium train. One of the things I recalled was his idea of a wine and cheese tasting, I thought he said at the station before departure, but maybe that was wrong. At any rate the idea to charge for it was in that conversation. He also wanted to know our opinion of the Cross Country Cafe since we had also ridden the CN to chicago.. I told him what I thought of the limited menu, cold food, and one cook. Plus the displeasure with no lounge that held more than four tables. He rattled off all the reasons why the Cross Country was doing so well and the "bottom line" had been greatly improved and sales were "Up". So I can see how if he had anything to do with it the CS might have ended up with both.. the fellow was with amtrak for six months he mentioned.. My opinion was he was more interested in cost cutting then real passenger satisfaction.

I have received at least three follow up questioners in the mail about the satisfaction of the Cross Country Car on trips to chicago., I never give it a great rating. A couple weeks ago I got a long telephone survey about the car and what I thought of it alone, and then in comparison with the service previously where it had the full diner and lounge.. You know which one won in my opinion! My wonder is what do they do with all those surveys, they must just "dump" them because I can't figure why they seem to be plowing ahead with them even though the crews and passengers do not like them..

I would have been highly disappointed had I expected the Pacific Parlor and got the Cross Country.. When we rode they were not running due to remodeling they said.. What did they remodel them for? It just shows how little understanding or concern Amtrak really has for the quality of experience they sell. I still content that at the prices they are willing to charge, nothing but the best possible service should be provided. When someone plans a trip for six months or more, and chooses a train for the experience it is supposed to offer, then amtrak should provide those services and equipment as advertised! But the disappointment of the passengers seems like something they take no responsibility for..
Larry H,

They're remodeling the cars because they are old Santa Fe Highlevels and have to be close to 50 years old. They were constantly bad-ordered (parts are hard to come by) and really needed to be overhauled...sometimes equipment fails and needs to be replaced...I am sure the CCC was an attempt to see how such a car might work on the CS. :eek:

Larry H,

They're remodeling the cars because they are old Santa Fe Highlevels and have to be close to 50 years old. They were constantly bad-ordered (parts are hard to come by) and really needed to be overhauled...sometimes equipment fails and needs to be replaced...I am sure the CCC was an attempt to see how such a car might work on the CS. :eek:
Odd but I thought the reason they were running for half the year without them was that they were being remodeled and that the "Launch" of the new CS was one of the reasons for the restoration.. So now they are still not restored?

Odd but I thought the reason they were running for half the year without them was that they were being remodeled and that the "Launch" of the new CS was one of the reasons for the restoration.. So now they are still not restored?
Larry, i thought so to. when we were on the cs in june (with a parlour car) i picked up a brochure about amenities on the new cs. none of which were available. having a monopoly, amtrak can do what they wish as those of us who like to travel by rail have no other option.

I'm taking my mom on the Coast Starlight next week northbound. I hope there is a PPC on it. It sounds as if, the PPC cars are just as reliable of being on the consist as before...not very. Now I understand that their are only 5 of them, and if 2 break, someone is not going to have one, and I think I should get a partial refund if the PPC was not on my trip.

Larry, i thought so to. when we were on the cs in june (with a parlour car) i picked up a brochure about amenities on the new cs. none of which were available. having a monopoly, amtrak can do what they wish as those of us who like to travel by rail have no other option.
Ha! That's right...in my roomette were two separate brochures extolling the virtues of the PPC. They shouldn't put those brochures out when there is no true PPC on the train...just makes one realize what they are missing!

Well, at least they are putting SOMETHING on there as the sleeper passenger lounge. A second sightseer lounge would be better, but a CCC is better than nothing, IMHO.

Well, at least they are putting SOMETHING on there as the sleeper passenger lounge. A second sightseer lounge would be better, but a CCC is better than nothing, IMHO.

If what I'm reading (on other lounge threads) is true, anything would be an improvement! Please, tell me I've read too much negativity into the CS Parlour Car , as I am SO MUCH looking forward to my TRIP!!!!

If what I'm reading (on other lounge threads) is true, anything would be an improvement! Please, tell me I've read too much negativity into the CS Parlour Car , as I am SO MUCH looking forward to my TRIP!!!!
there is nothing negative about the parlour car. it is a wonderful addition to the trip. the negative is that for the past few years they have been hit or miss (due to lack of replacements when more than one is down) and now with the trumpeted relaunch of the cs with parlour car for first class (which has been a large part of the advertising) they are still hit or miss

Oh no...no no...from what I've heard (I was cheated out of the experience myself), the Parlour Car is wondrous to behold...all the negativity I've read is about its frequent absence and replacement with something not nearly as good. When it's actually present as promised, it is almost universally enjoyed. The only minor irritation I've been reading is that the wine/cheese is no longer free.

as regards the ppc and the wine tasting, when we rode in june we had a ppc and the announcement was made that it was time for the wine taste for sleeper passengers and that it was $5 a head. we were sitting in the ppc and not too many people showed up. then it was announced that coach passengers could attend but for them it was $10 a head. pretty funny i thought

We will be making our annual Right coast visit the beginning of September. Coming back we are taking the EB to portland and then the Coast Starlight to VNC. I will have to do a report. It has been about 5 years since our last trip on the Coast Starlight.

Last year on the SWC departing CHI there was a free wine tasting before departure in the dining car. How much can that cost really, sounds like a cheap enhancement to me.

Oh no...no no...from what I've heard (I was cheated out of the experience myself), the Parlour Car is wondrous to behold...all the negativity I've read is about its frequent absence and replacement with something not nearly as good. When it's actually present as promised, it is almost universally enjoyed. The only minor irritation I've been reading is that the wine/cheese is no longer free.
I have to be honest that, while I thought that serving meals in the PPC was a good idea, now that I've "experienced" it, definitely is not.

They don't serve the whole dining car menu, even though all of the food comes from there. It seems a bit ridiculous that only those interested in the two items that they are serving that day can eat there.

Also, because they are serving a meal there, the upper level of the car is nigh useless during meal times. No more eating in the diner and shuffling into the parlour car for a drink and conversation.

If it's just going to be an expensive diner/lounge for first class only, maybe we would be better off with getting the correct car for the service.

Hi,

Going on the CS on Friday and Sunday. Would it be possible/of interest to keep a thread here for people to report if they had a true PPC or not on their trip and maybe try to figure out if there is a likely rotation for the cars absence?

I'll definitely report on it this weekend. Seems like there are enough people here to keep track of em pretty well.

Rob

Hi,
Going on the CS on Friday and Sunday. Would it be possible/of interest to keep a thread here for people to report if they had a true PPC or not on their trip and maybe try to figure out if there is a likely rotation for the cars absence?

I'll definitely report on it this weekend. Seems like there are enough people here to keep track of em pretty well.

Rob
Rob,

Go for it!

I took the CS LAX to SAC arriving this Friday night. We had a parlor car and I spent most of the trip there instead of in my sleeper. It is only for sleeper passengers.

My notes are still packed so details like names will have to be in my trip report later.

The car host said Amtrak has 4 of these cars and a private party has one. They are the only ones left. President Bush has told Amtrak he doesn't want to be giving away free vacations to First Class passengers ("Free?" the audience exclaimed) so Amtrak has 6 months to show these cars produce revenue. I didn't ask when the 6 months started. He said he has to make $3500 RT every trip to meet that goal. He has to make it even when he doesn't have the parlor car. He usually does around $6000 with the car and $3000 without. He doesn't know how the other parlor cars are doing. Since he was a pretty good salesman, others may not be doing so well.

The $5 wine tasting is a good deal if you substitute for wine at a meal (4 half glasses and you can get a little more). Also, if you are in a group, buy the bottle of wine from the parlor car (they'll open it for free) and have it for dinner to both support the car and save money (Wine bottles at my tasting were $12 to $25). He was also selling T-shirts (including ones of a discontinued design), playing cards, conductors caps, collectible spoons, beverages that would have been free in the dining car, etc.

I had both lunch and dinner in the parlor car. I'd already had meals in the dining car on the CZ and the SWC and was happy for a change. The menu is much smaller but quite good. However it is cooked/heated in the dining car and put in chafing dishes. Therefore, choose the first possible seating for food quality. The best part is they don't have many passengers so you aren't crowded or rushed. Service was absolutely superb.

The windows curve up over the top kind of like a dome car and were great for views. The eight swivel lounge seats are comfortable but a little low for seeing all of the view. Since most people did not use the car, there was always a vacant seat. Also, there is a window shelf that is great for scanner, GPS, notes, schedule, etc., and there are outlets (!) although not at every seat, maybe 8 or 10 doubles in the car.

The restoration looks good but I hope they got a bargain price. I watched an older man almost fall when the bar rail along the windows broke free (It was cut just a little too short for the distance between the brackets.). And the refrigerator downstairs didn't work.

Oh, yes, if the cars don't fly, Bush wants to scrap them, not sell them.

President Bush has told Amtrak he doesn't want to be giving away free vacations. Oh, yes, if the cars don't fly, Bush wants to scrap them, not sell them.
Ignore that man in the White House. No influence left. The whole nation, and indeed the whole world, is in a holding pattern; waiting to be rid of the worst U.S. president in history. Members of his own party are running away as fast as they can, but it's too late; already tarred by their toady votes for failed polciies, which are matters of public record.

It should not be forgotten that the Bush/Cheney junta has tirelessly attempted to kill Amtrak.

EDIT: McCain promises more of the same.

The decision to charge $5 for the wine tasting was Amtrak's and was not prompted by any outside pressure. Amtrak could have covered the cost of the Palour by allocating $5 per passenger from the sleeper revenue to the food and beverage account but chose instead to charge a seperate $5 fee on board. That was Amtrak's choice, not DOT's. DOT does not care how Amtrak chooses to charge for food and beverage, they are only interested in seeing Amtrak make an effort to make the food and beverage service work.

Does anyone really believe that Bush, Obama, or McCain even know there is such a thing as a "Pacific Palour"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back