Sleeper from SAC to SLC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jen

We booked a sleeper car from Sac to SLC. How hard would it be to swap users in the sleeper? Ie. We booked grandma as the user of the sleeper. Can we rotate people that use it easily for a change of scenery or is that difficult? Can we visit her?

Jen,

I've moved this topic over to the correct forum where I hope you'll be able to find it.

Swapping sleepers is not typically allowed on Amtrak, but you may get a crew that will permit you to do that. Sleeper passengers can always visit those in coach by visiting the coach, the lounge car, or by trying to coordinate a meal in the dining car.

How many people are we talking about?

The sleeper room itself is a set price, regardless of the number of occupants. (A lot of people misread the sleeper fare as being for each occupant!)

Then, each person occupying the sleeper pays the base railfare, which is exactly equal to the cheapest coach seat that Amtrak sells.

So, unless you got coach seats at the lowest fare bucket, it would be more cost-advantageous for you to move another person into the sleeper (sounds like grandma is alone in there, and there are two beds), since that would make your total cost go down. (In other words, if you got coach seats at $100 each, but the base railfare is $75, moving another person from coach to sleeper would save you $25...and that person would also get free meals in the diner, since those are included in sleeping class!)

Also note that SAC-SLC is only a 20 hour trip, departing SAC about 10 AM and arriving SLC about 4 AM. So unless you want to swap sleeping users at something like 12 or 1 AM, I personally don't see a reason to do so. When I detrained at SLC, I was woken up about 3 AM to allow me to get ready.

As jackal said, the cost of the room is the same for either 1 or 2 people. And if you have 2 people reserved in the room, it includes meals for BOTH people! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back