St Louis Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian UK

Train Attendant
Hi

I know trains stopped using the terminal in 1978 and moved to a 'shack' down the road, but can anyone tell me when they started using it again?. What puzzles me is that a search on Google Earth for the station address shown on the Amtrak website points you to the shack, whereas the ariel view clearly shows a loco and coaches in the terminal west side. I have tried to find reference to this elsewhere but cant.

Thanks

Brian

Google Earth photos are well known for not being current, many are often years old.

Amtrak is not using the old Union Terminal in St. Louis. The old shack has been suplanted with a more permanent structure, and construction has started I believe on an even nicer station. But there are no plans to ever return to the old Union Station.

In fact I recently read a news story mentioning that the owners of Union Station want to actually remove the few tracks that are left at the old station. There was a dinner/tourist train that I believe still ran into the old station on occasions, which will no longer be possible if indeed those tracks are removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Google Earth photos are well known for not being current, many are often years old.
Amtrak is not using the old Union Terminal in St. Louis. The old shack has been suplanted with a more permanent structure, and construction has started I believe on an even nicer station. But there are no plans to ever return to the old Union Station.

In fact I recently read a news story mentioning that the owners of Union Station want to actually remove the few tracks that are left at the old station. There was a dinner/tourist train that I believe still ran into the old station on occasions, which will no longer be possible if indeed those tracks are removed.
That's correct—excursion trains, Grand Luxe (formerly American Orient Express), and (last I checked) a luxury dinner train still use the old station tracks. Would be a shame to see them gone completely.

-Rafi

I found that newstory from last month talking about removing the remaining tracks forever. :(

Click here to read the story from St. Louis Today.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that newstory from last month talking about removing the remaining tracks forever. :(
Click here to read the story from St. Louis Today.com.
Thanks

Beyond belief! It really wants to make you weep for 4 reasons:

1) magnificent buildings left to rot, bulldozed or turned into theme parks at the expense of;

2) passengers relegated to 3rd world facilities because;

3) of the ignorance of history and future needs;

4) the blind acceptance of it all.

Sorry, rant over, i know its the politicians' fault.

When I was there in aug they were using the tracks for Private Rail Car Storage.
And somewhere on another thread or maybe it was another web site, they are proposing ot remove these few tracks and kick these cars out.
The story that I linked to right above talks all about removing the tracks and kicking those cars out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back