First timer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone! First of all, i want to say thanks to everyone that has ever written here. I have been lurking for a while, quietly studying, and reading people's advice on things Amtrak.

A little about myself: my name is Stephen, *cough34yearsoldcough*, come from the north-east of England, but live and work in Japan, teaching english to primary school :ninja:.

I have a few friends in the States, some in San Jose, and others in New York, that I will be coming to visit at the end of March. I considered a coast to coast journey, from SJ to NY, but I don't have a lot of time, and what time i do have, i'd like to spend with my friends. So, i'm flying from SJ to Chicago, and then overnight on the Lakeshore Limited to NY! I am currently booked just in coach, but would prefer a sleeper, as i am a light sleeper myself, but cannot justify the extra cost, having spent a LOT of money already!!

I guess i could get an onboard upgrade, but it's a risk if there aren't any available. So the other option is to share.

I was very interested to read the thread about sharing a sleeper Sleeper Cars. Would you like to share? and people's reasons for or against it, all of which i respect.

Would there be anyone travelling 29th March, from Chicago, willing to share with a complete :wacko: ???? (joke) :)

Anybody willing to help is appreciated! :) :) :) :) :)

Hi everyone! First of all, i want to say thanks to everyone that has ever written here. I have been lurking for a while, quietly studying, and reading people's advice on things Amtrak. A little about myself: my name is Stephen, *cough34yearsoldcough*, come from the north-east of England, but live and work in Japan, teaching english to primary school :ninja:.

I have a few friends in the States, some in San Jose, and others in New York, that I will be coming to visit at the end of March. I considered a coast to coast journey, from SJ to NY, but I don't have a lot of time, and what time i do have, i'd like to spend with my friends. So, i'm flying from SJ to Chicago, and then overnight on the Lakeshore Limited to NY! I am currently booked just in coach, but would prefer a sleeper, as i am a light sleeper myself, but cannot justify the extra cost, having spent a LOT of money already!!

I guess i could get an onboard upgrade, but it's a risk if there aren't any available. So the other option is to share.

I was very interested to read the thread about sharing a sleeper Sleeper Cars. Would you like to share? and people's reasons for or against it, all of which i respect.

Would there be anyone travelling 29th March, from Chicago, willing to share with a complete :wacko: ???? (joke) :)

Anybody willing to help is appreciated! :) :) :) :) :)
Welcome, Crack Baby Crack... I shared with a complete stranger a year ago, an upgrade somewhere in VA to FL... Since we only shared in time for dinner, sleeping and breakfast it was great. It was a risk, but turnde out to be a great move. The guy never saw a sleeper before and travels between Norfolk and Jacksonville often (shipyard worker)... He'll be asking for the sleeper upgrades all the time now.

Good luck finding a travel mate from CHI to NYP. I hope it works out. You'll pass through my hometown at about 6:00 a.m.--

Welcome, Crack Baby Crack... I shared with a complete stranger a year ago, an upgrade somewhere in VA to FL... Since we only shared in time for dinner, sleeping and breakfast it was great. It was a risk, but turnde out to be a great move. The guy never saw a sleeper before and travels between Norfolk and Jacksonville often (shipyard worker)... He'll be asking for the sleeper upgrades all the time now.
Good luck finding a travel mate from CHI to NYP. I hope it works out. You'll pass through my hometown at about 6:00 a.m.--
Thanks Railbender..were you nervous? You're from Erie then i guess? Does that mean I'll get to see some of the lake early morning time? That would be really great, if so.

Last edited by a moderator:
As to whether you will see the lake or not...depends on how late you will be running... Sunrise is around 7:20 these days here in Erie. (It will be even earlier when you pass through). You are slated to arrive here at 6:30 and the train does reasonably well ontime to Erie from Chicago... It is immediately east of Erie that you will have your best views of the lake and the vineyards along the lakeshore.

And to answer your Q, yes, I was nervous about sharing with a stranger, but we were seatmates for about an hour... Both family guys with kids the same age and so on... And both larger in stature on a crowded coach... Again, its a creepy world we live in so you have to be careful...but I like to live on the edge every now and then... ...keep one eye open all night... not really.

Back