Southwest Chief #4

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two questions, gswager. One, the Albuquerque station burned (to the ground,I thhnk) several years ago....What kind of facility is there now? Secondly, the the local native Americans used to sell their wares at the station during the relatively long statin stops. Did you notice if that is still happening?

Yeah, I vaguely remember that one, but I'm not exactly sure if it is north or south side of Amtrak passenger building (waiting, ticketing, & baggage). If it is south side, then it has a office trailer for Amtrak business. If it is north side, it is a brand new city bus station (bigger than station).

Alvadero Transportation Phase I is completed (for city buses), and want to start working on Phase II for Greyhound and Amtrak. Problem with the Amtrak part is Amtrak don't want to pay for fuel station due to its financial crunch. Albuquerque has to renegogiate with Amtrak about it.

For local native Americans wares, yes, they still do at the platform and by the station.

Bill Haithcoat said:
Two questions, gswager. One, the Albuquerque station burned (to the ground,I thhnk) several years ago....What kind of facility is there now?
Bill,

You can check out this article from NCI's Destination Freedom Newsletter for more on the current status of Albuguerque's new station.

I enjoyed your report. I enjoy that train and I also enjoyed Albuquerque, the one time I actually visited it a fefw years ago(as opposed to just passing through onthe train).

Gswager, tell us more about this Colorado railrcar. What is it? Where does it go? How long has it been around? Was it built for that service originally or is it a rebuild from something else?

Bill,

This is a relatively new car, in fact it seems to me that it was first announced over the summer. This is a self propelled DMU unit and is being marketed as the answer for commuter railroads. The cars can be built in either single or double level configurations. While I don't know in New Jersey is actually looking at them with interest, one of these cars is currently in NJ for demo runs and displays.

You can read more about the cars and their specs, in addition to some nice pictures at the company website located here.

It is a nice trip report. Alan, any idea on what NJ Transit lines specifically have the dmu running/or displayed?

New Jersey Transit's reluctance notwithstanding, diesel multiple-unit (DMU) trains will get their test runs in this week in Bergen County, courtesy of the county, New York, Susquehanna & Western Railroad, Colorado Railcar Manufacturing LLC -- and NJ-ARP.
Bergen County will welcome local and state political officials, local media, and select local residents to view, tour, and discuss Colorado Railcar's prototype DMU car Thursday the 10th and Friday the 11th; Friday's agenda includes a test run from Hackensack (and possibly Bogota) to Hawthorne (in neighboring Passaic County).

The DMU will also be on public display in Hackensack Saturday, Oct. 12, coinciding with an annual city festival. Prior to the day's events, NJ-ARP members registered for the group's annual meeting will get their own tour of the Colorado Railcar prototype. NJ-ARP members: Bring your questions and concerns with you!
Viewliner,

You can read the full story from NJ ARP here.

The Colorado Railcar prototype is on display on Saturday 10/12 in Hackensack, and is reportedly supposed to be somewhere else on NJ TRANSIT property in static display on Monday the 14th. Nobody is saying defintively where it might be, but Newark Penn Station has been speculated. Note that the 14th is Columbus Day, so some may be off work or school and available to go see it.

Superliner Diner said:
The Colorado Railcar prototype is on display on Saturday 10/12 in Hackensack, and is reportedly supposed to be somewhere else on NJ TRANSIT property in static display on Monday the 14th. Nobody is saying defintively where it might be, but Newark Penn Station has been speculated. Note that the 14th is Columbus Day, so some may be off work or school and available to go see it.
Isn't Newark's Penn station Amtrak property?

Now Hoboken would be a good place for it to be on display. :)

I haven't heard or read news about CO Railcar within New Mexico, so I assumed it is overnight stop or something like that.

Denver was very interested about it for its commuter track.

AlanB is right about it, it just came out of factory for display.

AlanB said:
Superliner Diner said:
The Colorado Railcar prototype is on display on Saturday 10/12 in Hackensack, and is reportedly supposed to be somewhere else on NJ TRANSIT property in static display on Monday the 14th.  Nobody is saying defintively where it might be, but Newark Penn Station has been speculated.  Note that the 14th is Columbus Day, so some may be off work or school and available to go see it.
Isn't Newark's Penn station Amtrak property?

Now Hoboken would be a good place for it to be on display. :)
I agree, Hoboken would be a good place, because all the lines (except the Atlantic City, NEC via connection) have access to it. I don't have the 14th off, so it looks like Sunday would be my best chance, although that probably won't happen. I think NJ Transit could use some new Electric MU's.

Also heres a thought, too bad nobody has come up with the technology for diesel-electric locomotives that can run off of the catenary wires.

Amfleet said:
Miami Jos has told us that Colorodo Rail Man. desgns and builds poor equipment. The same company built the Florida Fun Train which he worked on.
Is it referring to double deck? Has CO Railcar making any improvements?

Please specify on what problems that Florida Fun Train occurred with CO Railcar.

Viewliner said:
I agree, Hoboken would be a good place, because all the lines (except the Atlantic City, NEC via connection) have access to it. I don't have the 14th off, so it looks like Sunday would be my best chance, although that probably won't happen. I think NJ Transit could use some new Electric MU's.
Also heres a thought, too bad nobody has come up with the technology for diesel-electric locomotives that can run off of the catenary wires.
Viewliner,

For reasons that no one can explain, NJT had decided that they don't want MU's anymore. They are moving everything over to push/pull cars. Mind you now, the MTA loves MU and buys very little in the way of push/pull equipment. But someone in Jersey think's that push/pull is the way to go. This started before Warrington's return too.

As for the diesel-electric cat engines, the technology does already exist to build them. Remeber that we already have dual mode engines for Amtrak, the LIRR, and Metro North. Granted these draw power off of the third rail, but the general concept is the same. The problem is the fact that the need for those types of engines is very limited. In fact I think here in the NE is the only area of the country that would have such a need right now. This makes the cost of building the engine very high. So to date no one has wanted to make that expense.

I have heard reports however, that NJT is looking at such an engine so they can provide a Midtown Direct service on the Raritan Valley line. It's either that or electify the whole line to Raritan. I suspect that buying dual mode engines would still be cheaper than electrifying the whole line.

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
I agree, Hoboken would be a good place, because all the lines (except the Atlantic City, NEC via connection) have access to it.  I don't have the 14th off, so it looks like Sunday would be my best chance, although that probably won't happen.  I think NJ Transit could use some new Electric MU's.
Viewliner,

For reasons that no one can explain, NJT had decided that they don't want MU's anymore. They are moving everything over to push/pull cars. Mind you now, the MTA loves MU and buys very little in the way of push/pull equipment. But someone in Jersey think's that push/pull is the way to go. This started before Warrington's return too.

As for the diesel-electric cat engines, the technology does already exist to build them. Remeber that we already have dual mode engines for Amtrak, the LIRR, and Metro North. Granted these draw power off of the third rail, but the general concept is the same. The problem is the fact that the need for those types of engines is very limited. In fact I think here in the NE is the only area of the country that would have such a need right now. This makes the cost of building the engine very high. So to date no one has wanted to make that expense.

I have heard reports however, that NJT is looking at such an engine so they can provide a Midtown Direct service on the Raritan Valley line. It's either that or electify the whole line to Raritan. I suspect that buying dual mode engines would still be cheaper than electrifying the whole line.
Is there advatage to push-pull vs. mu's or vice versa?

Also do you have a source to that Raritan Valley story. If its true, then wouldn't that technology be usable on other lines in the long run, like the North Jersey Coast Line, between Long Branch and Bay Head?

I know about the third-rail technology. It would be convienient not to have to lose power on the long distances.

Mu's do cost more and they do require some extra maintenance that you don't get with Push/Pull. I suspect however, that once you factor in the cost of an engine powerful enough to pull 10 p/p's, that the cost difference between the two consist is minimal.

The MU's do however have several advantages over p/p train sets. As we've noted elsewhere on this forum, when an engine dies you just sit there. With MU's, you've always got a spare engine with you. In fact you've got several spare's with you. I think that I remember reading some where that one working MU can pull 4 or 5 dead ones. It won't be going fast, but at least you can make the next station.

Secondly, and this is a biggie for commuters, zero to 60 happens a whole lot faster with MU's than a single engine. Not only do you have more power with the MU's, but every wheel in the consist is powered. With p/p's only the wheels on the engine are powered, so you can't accelerate as fast or you'd just spin your wheels. Track gang's just love those flat spots on the rails caused by someone accelerating too fast, and you can damage the wheels too.

Viewliner,

Yes those engines would work for the Coast line. Also if they ever build another Hudson River tunnel they could probably be used on the Bergan line too, along with a track connection near Secacus.

The Raritan Valley line once direct access to New York's Penn Station is achieved either by electrification or with dual-mode diesel and electric locomotives; and,
You can view the whole story which is really about connecting PATH from the WTC to the NYC Lexington Avenue Subway here from NJ ARP. Scroll about 2/3 of the way down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back