Discount to fellow railroaders

• Thread starter Randall of CSX nation......
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randall of CSX nation......

Just wondering how cool Amtrak is about letting you ride their train if you show them ID. Everyone is telling me, "show your id to the conductor, they always let you ride"

Its not defininte though and the trip I want to make is a round trip one day trip that would cost $106 otherwise. I know a lot of people that just have walked up to the conductor on the platform and shown their id badges and they let them ride.

What say those with this experience?

by the way, its a professional courtesy that I am trying to find out if it exists as I am an employee (conductor) on another adjacent railroad and its no different than cops showing their badges to get out of a traffic ticket.

by the way, its a professional courtesy that I am trying to find out if it exists as I am an employee (conductor) on another adjacent railroad and its no different than cops showing their badges to get out of a traffic ticket.

I'm on disability pension and I have ridden in the sleeper with a coach ticket from New Orleans to LA compliments of a kind conductor. Also I recently got on the Acela and rode quite a distance (Boston to Philly) for free. Seldom have I been turned down with my old RR ID. All they can say is no.

I am reasonably certain that this is not current policy. I beleive that employees that had pre-Amtrak pass privledges could possible do this but those days are gone.You would be placing the conductor in a very awkward position. You could endanger the man's job if a spotter picked up on this.

I am reasonably certain that this is not current policy. I beleive that employees that had pre-Amtrak pass privledges could possible do this but those days are gone.You would be placing the conductor in a very awkward position. You could endanger the man's job if a spotter picked up on this.

George,

You are right on about the spotters. Came out of Chicago on the southbound City and both the conductor and A/C told me that Amtrak had just hired 40 spotters. It's a shame that they didn't put them to work on board in the LD coaches as attendants where they are so sorely needed.

Are you in position to jeopardize the job of a fellow railroader by asking for free ride ?? The policy is that the free rides are not allowed, your asking someone to give up his career for a stranger ???

cool off the buddy. I am not out to get anyone's job. Just wondering if a courtesy still exists.

George,

You are right on about the spotters. Came out of Chicago on the southbound City and both the conductor and A/C told me that Amtrak had just hired 40 spotters. It's a shame that they didn't put them to work on board in the LD coaches as attendants where they are so sorely needed.
40 Spotters?

That's a lot of people to hire for such a position. What will they do?? Observe Amtrak Staff and report back to HR/Management?? What then?? Will Amtrak provide opportunities for Staffers to improve their skills or just note that they've been watching??

It seems to me that if Amtrak HR were more selective in the people they hire, and had better oversite of their staff, then they wouldn't need 40 spotters, and service to passengers would be much improved. You think someone in the organization would ask why there are such regular "bad apples" and what can we do about it?? However, I have the feeling that no-one at Amtrak thinks about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dad worked for the New York Central and a short while for Penn Central. He had a railroad pass that allowed for free travel on the NYC and certain other railroads by himself and members of his immediate family. It covered the rail fare but not the Pullman charges. What is covered on other railroads varied and sometimes it resulted in payment of half fares etc. He had the pass after he retired until he passed away. It did include travel on Amtrak in the 70s since Penn Central was one of the participating railroad. Everything regarding the railroad pass was governed by rules which could vary by level of employee and could be changed from time to time. There was never anything secret or underhanded about the use of the pass. When the railroad's ran the passenger service, passes were an added benefit. Once passenger service was discountined on routes, the employees could no longer take advantage of that benefit unless another railroad offered service and sometimes special arrangements would be made. I can understand that with government oversight that Amtrak would not be able to offer the same benefits to non Amtrak railraod employess.

IF the 40 spotters actually exist the word travels quickly on the railroad much like it does on this sight. Then you would most assuredly have to have a ticket in your back pocket.

IF the 40 spotters actually exist the word travels quickly on the railroad much like it does on this sight. Then you would most assuredly have to have a ticket in your back pocket.
I wonder if the person who was talking about the "spotters" is confusing this with the Customer Service Managers who are riding trains throughout the system.

I know Amtrak has had spotters in the past and their role was similar to mystery shoppers in the retail business - looking for irregularities and good/bad service and adherence to established policies and procedures. This is not a bad thing at all!

I wonder if the person who was talking about the "spotters" is confusing this with the Customer Service Managers who are riding trains throughout the system.

I know Amtrak has had spotters in the past and their role was similar to mystery shoppers in the retail business - looking for irregularities and good/bad service and adherence to established policies and procedures. This is not a bad thing at all!

No...the crew was tallking about spotters who could report them. Not on board managers which we seldom see unless something like SDS pops up.

Here's another "in-house" amenity. Amtrak pass holders can use the parcel/checked luggage room for free in WAS. I don't think it is a spotter's target as it has been going on for years. I always tip the man behind the dutch door coming and going so they don't forget who I am. Sure beats the $3 an hour lockers in Chicago.

Its not a matter of cooling off, unless the Conductor personaly knows you , he is risking his job.The entire thing could be a setup by a spotter, just to see if the conductor accepts.
dude, I hope you are a railroad employee atleast and not some wannabe know it all railfan puke. I mean, either way, I am not out to "entrap" anyone so hush

Its not a matter of cooling off, unless the Conductor personaly knows you , he is risking his job.

The entire thing could be a setup by a spotter, just to see if the conductor accepts.
dude, I hope you are a railroad employee atleast and not some wannabe know it all railfan puke. I mean, either way, I am not out to "entrap" anyone so hush
First one should probably be careful about insulting railfans on a site that is indeed full of railfans, many of whom do actually know what they are talking about in many cases. In fact I've seen some railfans that know more than some RR employees.

Second, I can assure you that Dutch is more than just a railfan. I'm not even sure if he actually attributes that title "railfan" to his name or not although he does seem to have a love for trains, but I do know for a fact that he does indeed work for a passenger RR, although it's not Amtrak. I'll leave it to him however to decide if he wishes to dignify your response and tell you which RR he works for.

I've heard of a few instances of Conductor's Courtesy being used, though from a slightly different field. I drove bus for 11 years, and had always heard that we could show our Union card to the Conductor to ride Amtrak free. I never tested the concept (for the simple fact of not wanting to put a Conductor in a compromising position) but I heard where others did, and succeeded, riding between here and New York. I guess it all depends on the Conductor.

As a reciprocal courtesy, Amtrak (and Greyhound) employees routinely boarded our buses, and we routinely let them ride with no questions asked. I think only once did I hear a coworker griping about a Amtrak or Greyhound Employee trying to ride for free with their ID, most were glad to oblige.

So I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, but it also helps to be more than willing to graciously accept an answer of no, putting yourself in the Employee's shoes.

Its not a matter of cooling off, unless the Conductor personaly knows you , he is risking his job.

The entire thing could be a setup by a spotter, just to see if the conductor accepts.
First one should probably be careful about insulting railfans on a site that is indeed full of railfans, many of whom do actually know what they are talking about in many cases. In fact I've seen some railfans that know more than some RR employees.

Second, I can assure you that Dutch is more than just a railfan. I'm not even sure if he actually attributes that title "railfan" to his name or not although he does seem to have a love for trains, but I do know for a fact that he does indeed work for a passenger RR, although it's not Amtrak. I'll leave it to him however to decide if he wishes to dignify your response and tell you which RR he works for.
Edited to remove derogatory remarks.

And the next time you want to insult railfans, try remembering that many of them are the same people who are out there lobbying for RR workers. They are also out there supporting Operation Lifesaver, along with many RR workers, to help prevent the horrors that people like you unfortunately encounter while trying to do your job.

You might also want to remember that it was you who came to a railfan site seeking our help. So if you think consider railfans to be so inferior I have to wonder why you'd bother to consult them in the first place.

As for people who actually didn't **** on my thread and try and help guide me, I really appreciate your help and have a happy New Year!

Last edited:
I really about how the letting railroaders ride on other lines. I remember boarding Amtrak in Grand Forks and several BNSF employees needed a ride to Fargo. All they did was get a ticket from the ticket agent. If it is against the rules to do this, I really wonder why. Here in my airline world, any pilot can easily ride the cockpit jumpseat of other carriers. It's done everyday infact. This is of course with recipricol agreements with all the carriers, but it seems it should or would be the same with the railraods.

I really about how the letting railroaders ride on other lines. I remember boarding Amtrak in Grand Forks and several BNSF employees needed a ride to Fargo. All they did was get a ticket from the ticket agent. If it is against the rules to do this, I really wonder why. Here in my airline world, any pilot can easily ride the cockpit jumpseat of other carriers. It's done everyday infact. This is of course with recipricol agreements with all the carriers, but it seems it should or would be the same with the railraods.
after all of the hullabaloo here (and on another rail forum), i just went ahead and called a friend who worked for UP's 'amtrak department' to find out the answer. according to UP, no one hired after april 27, 1981 is eligible for any discounts whatever for amtrak travel on any road. when amtrak began back in 1971, the member railroads negotiated discounts and passes for their existing employees to try and compensate for the lack of travel benefits once they discontinued passenger service, and everyone got the same deal.

so, here's the rules:

1. you must have been hired by a railroad which 'joined' amtrak, and which signed an agreement with amtrak for employee pass privileges (so locals originally hired by the M-K-T, for example, wouldn't be eligible).

2. you must have been hired by the railroad prior to april 27, 1981.

3. if hired before april 30, 1971, the rail fare is free for portions of your route over your home road and 50% off over other roads.

4. if hired after april 30, 1971, but before april 27, 1981, you are eligible for a 25% discount off of your rail fare.

5. these passes are handled internally by the host roads' HR departments.

6. amtrak does not have an official policy of discounts/free travel whatever outside the agreement.

if anyone has anything else to add, please let me know. i certainly hope i didn't misquote anything here!

-- eliyahu

austin, tx

Here's the deal.

If a railroad employee was hired before May 1, 1971 and that railroad was part of the formation of Amtrak, then that employee may ride Amtrak for free on the employee's own line or for a 50% discount anywhere else. A railroad employee who was hired on or after May 1, 1971 and before April 27, 1981 can get a 25% discount off Amtrak travel. Everyone else is a peon like the rest of the unwashed masses and pays the going rate.

The prior to 1971 privilege is strictly limited to those who were employed by what then was an Amtrak participant. A current UP employee who worked for the UP or SP prior to May 1, 1971 is in. A present UP employee who, in 1971, worked for the WP (not an Amtrak participant) is out. And everone hired less than 25 years ago is out. In other words, you have to be pretty old and a lifer with one line to get a free or discounted ride.

Now that is not to say that a given Amtrak conductor would not look the other way as a courtesy to a brother in arms. Trains are not planes: there is no formal check in or seat count. I'm sure it happens all the time. But it is technically not allowed and could get someone slapped around by the powers to be if they get caught.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a retired ethics professor. I had a fake RR ID made up a few years ago. Works great. Thousands and thousands of dollars worth of travel for FREE! I've traveled all the long distance trains always in a sleeper at no charge. I always take breakfeast and lunch in the diner. Most times I have dinner brought to my bedroom.

I'm a retired ethics professor. I had a fake RR ID made up a few years ago. Works great. Thousands and thousands of dollars worth of travel for FREE! I've traveled all the long distance trains always in a sleeper at no charge. I always take breakfeast and lunch in the diner. Most times I have dinner brought to my bedroom.
Har-dee-har-har. I get the joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back