Boarding 69 from lower level at NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoB

Service Attendant
I'll be riding 69 from NYP to MTR. Does anyone have experience boarding from the lower level at NYP? Will I run into problems if I don't wait in line to have my passport checked upstairs?

I'll be riding 69 from NYP to MTR. Does anyone have experience boarding from the lower level at NYP? Will I run into problems if I don't wait in line to have my passport checked upstairs?
You must check in with Amtrak Gate Dragons Upstairs with your Passport and Ticket, and Line up to board the Train. You will be given "Special Bag Tags" for your carryons ( No Checked Bags).

Last edited by a moderator:
And what, pray tell, would happen if I didn't? Anybody boarding at an intermediate stop doesn't go through a similar process.

But like is said, it does not make sense that it is done only at NYP!

If I board the Adirondack at my home station of FED, I do not go through that. And I still get to MTL! You do not go through that if you board at Plattsburgh, Albany, Poughkeepsie or even Yonkers. Only if you board at NYP.

Or are you saying that you can only get to MTR if you board at NYP?
default_huh.png

Often, they will have someone downstairs send you back upstairs for this and the ML. Depending on loading, this may mean you don't get a seat you like. Whether it makes sense to do the doc check and forms distribution at NYP is a separate matter. You could probably board early with a redcap for a small gratuity.

If you want to beat the “mad dash” when boarding is announced, get the aid of a Red Cap. They will take you down to the train before everyone else and get you situated. I always use Red Caps when boarding at NYP because of my disability. Give them a nice tip, too!

If you want to beat the “mad dash” when boarding is announced, get the aid of a Red Cap. They will take you down to the train before everyone else and get you situated. I always use Red Caps when boarding at NYP because of my disability. Give them a nice tip, too!
Thanks. I don't care about the mad dash - I just want to be absolutely certain I get a left-side window seat. I guess I'm best off waking up early and waiting upstairs, just to be safe.

Thanks. I don't care about the mad dash - I just want to be absolutely certain I get a left-side window seat. I guess I'm best off waking up early and waiting upstairs, just to be safe.
Well if you want a left side window seat... You care about the "mad dash".
default_wink.png
IINM, on 69 they put passengers going into Canada in two cars. Can't remember off hand.

Well if you want a left side window seat... You care about the "mad dash".
default_wink.png
IINM, on 69 they put passengers going into Canada in two cars. Can't remember off hand.
This! I have been wondering though, is there any good way to identify what track a train will be on before they announce it? Because otherwise, there is limited benefit to heading down from the lower level, unless you literally check every track for your train.

As dumb as it sounds... It's more efficient to give out the forms at NYP. If not conductors would have to hand them out when they are scanning tickets.
I'm fairly sure that's the reasoning behind it. But as Jim says... YMMV.
default_wink.png
But, if that is so, the Conductor has to do that very thing if you boarding Croton or Hudson or Schenectady or Whitehall or ...!

As dumb as it sounds... It's more efficient to give out the forms at NYP. If not conductors would have to hand them out when they are scanning tickets.
It doesn't sound dumb so much as overbearing. If efficiency is the key why not place the forms on the seats, and/or store them in a holder/dispenser along the bulkhead, and/or use e-forms on smart devices? I realize that some people are too cleaver/ignorant to take care of themselves but why should the 99% suffer unwanted corporate mothering because 1% need their hands held through all of life's little challenges?

Would love to go to Montreal one of these days. I just wish the Adirondack had a better departure time from NYP.

It doesn't sound dumb so much as overbearing. If efficiency is the key why not place the forms on the seats, and/or store them in a holder/dispenser along the bulkhead, and/or use e-forms on smart devices? I realize that some people are too cleaver/ignorant to take care of themselves but why should the 99% suffer unwanted corporate mothering because 1% need their hands held through all of life's little challenges?
Let's be honest DA.. This is one thing that Amtrak isn't really known for.
default_wink.png

Would love to go to Montreal one of these days. I just wish the Adirondack had a better departure time from NYP.
Eh, 8:15 AM isn't too bad. The Cardinal is the holy grail of terrible LD train departure times - 6:45 AM!
default_wacko.png
True, the Cardinal is worse. Either way, it takes me three hours just to get to NYP from where I live. Would need to stay overnight in midtown the night before to catch either of those two trains. Same for the Maple Leaf.

Eh, 8:15 AM isn't too bad. The Cardinal is the holy grail of terrible LD train departure times - 6:45 AM!
default_wacko.png
He isn't wrong.
Sorry, I'm not wrong or NEPATrainTraveler isn't wrong?
Relax Coby... If I thought he was wrong I would have quoted his post. But I quoted yours.. What does that tell you?
default_wink.png

default_wacko.png
He isn't wrong.
Sorry, I'm not wrong or NEPATrainTraveler isn't wrong?
Relax Coby... If I thought he was wrong I would have quoted his post. But I quoted yours.. What does that tell you?
default_wink.png
Well 'cause I thought you were either telling me that he (NEPA) isn't wrong, or saying to NEPA that I'm not wrong. I ain't too good with semantics.

But fine.
default_smile.png

The ADK is a NY supported train, and they want it to be day train through a scenic/resort part of the state as well as extra seats NYP to ALB. It often gets an extra coach for that part of the route He who pays the bills calls the shots.
Makes sense

default_wacko.png
True, the Cardinal is worse. Either way, it takes me three hours just to get to NYP from where I live. Would need to stay overnight in midtown the night before to catch either of those two trains. Same for the Maple Leaf.
Or you can ride an evening Empire Service train to ALB, spend the night there instead, and get a few hours more sleep before picking up the Adirondack.
Plus, you can board an Empire from the lower level of NYP without issue.

Back