Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

And now the Diners!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:29 AM

VIA has issued a media advisory for an announcement to be made later today in New Richmond, Quebec regarding additional fleet renovations....and speculation is it will now be the diners.

Here's a Virtual Tour:

http://envirtuel.com/via_rail/

The tour shows mostly the kitchen area but what you can see of the seating area appears to be booths replacing individual chairs....and that Wine Rack reminds me of what they did in the Prestige Parks!

Work would be done at Rail GD in New Richmond (which is along the route of the former 'Chaleur' to Gaspe)

http://railgd.com/

https://www.newswire...-696243691.html

Edited by NS VIA Fan, 10 October 2018 - 05:21 AM.

• cirdan likes this

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:54 AM

Too bad about "Booths" replacing the individual Chairs in the Diners, but as with all things now-a-days, the Lawyers and the "Nervous Nellie" Safety Crowd Rules.😣
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:35 AM

Too bad about "Booths" replacing the individual Chairs in the Diners, but as with all things now-a-days, the Lawyers and the "Nervous Nellie" Safety Crowd Rules.

How were they ever even allowed to have individual chairs on a train? I get that it's Canada, and that having actual chairs must be nice, but that still always struck me as a pretty bad idea.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#4 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:12 AM

cpotisch--

If you live in a country where you could be eaten by a polar bear any minute, I think you can handle chairs that might move a bit :P.

• caravanman, Rail Freak, Seaboard92 and 2 others like this

#5 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:26 AM

cpotisch--

If you live in a country where you could be eaten by a polar bear any minute, I think you can handle chairs that might move a bit :P.

Priceless!😙
  • Steve4031 and caravanman like this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#6 gaspeamtrak

gaspeamtrak

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:Riding Amtrak!! Watching Amtrak...Riding Via Rail!! Riding British trains and European trains

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:32 AM

VIA has issued a media advisory for an announcement to be made later today in New Richmond, Quebec regarding additional fleet renovations....and speculation is it will now be the diners.

Here's a Virtual Tour:

http://envirtuel.com/via_rail/

The tour shows mostly the kitchen area but what you can see of the seating area appears to be booths replacing individual chairs....and that Wine Rack reminds me of what they did in the Prestige Parks!

Work would be done at Rail GD in New Richmond (which is along the route of the former 'Chaleur' to Gaspe)

http://railgd.com/

https://www.newswire...-696243691.html

Thank you for that info.

Just wondering if you have any info on how repairs to the line from Matpedia to Gaspe are progressing???

If I'm correct New Richmond is about half way to Gaspe give or take a few miles...

I know there was and anouncement by the Quebec government that they were going to invest $100 million on the line to upgrade it. They are appearantly trucking those windmill blades and other related stuff from Gaspe to either Port Daniel or New Richmond to load onto flatcars.

Also there is some kind of "cement " plant that needs rail transport in Port Daniel?

Sorry if it sounds like I 'm hijacking your"topic"

Thank you...

#7 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,522 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:48 AM

There used to be chairs in the Amtrak diners before the the steam heated cars were converted to hep.

#8 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:54 AM

Too bad about "Booths" replacing the individual Chairs in the Diners, but as with all things now-a-days, the Lawyers and the "Nervous Nellie" Safety Crowd Rules.

How were they ever even allowed to have individual chairs on a train? I get that it's Canada, and that having actual chairs must be nice, but that still always struck me as a pretty bad idea.

In the bedroom on the Canadian, the two seats are “chairs” which can be moved so you can face in with direction.
  • cpotisch likes this

#9 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:32 AM

Besides diner's, lounge cars in the heritage era also sometimes contained chairs.   Both those, and the ones in the diner, were weighted, and rather hefty...they didn't move around too easily.

But, yes, in the event of an accident, chairs firmly anchored to the floor are considerably safer.

Edited by railiner, 10 October 2018 - 11:32 AM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#10 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:36 PM

Yeah, I always enjoy getting hit in the head by a flying chair during a derailment. 

#11 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:06 PM

One reason we can't operate our private cars in regular service in the case a private contractor takes over a long distance or corridor train similar to what IPH did in Indiana. Is that our cars have loose seats. Personally I have trouble with it. But come a wreck it's much safer to have things firmly secured to the floor.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#12 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:42 PM

Almost all diners had individual seats, the Budd diners for the Canadian were the norm, and were, in fact, pretty much built to the California Zephyr plans and were identical in interior layout to the CZ's.

The requirement to have fixed seating came in after Amtrak in the US, and the diners were retrofitted.  It apparently still wasn't a requirement in Canada in 1992 when Via's Budd cars went through an extensive refurbishment when they were HEP'd, as they kept their chairs then. 

Edited by zephyr17, 10 October 2018 - 01:43 PM.

• cpotisch likes this
Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr; Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-ORL), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)
Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal); 
Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#13 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:47 PM

They better not get rid of the etched glass partitions.

Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr; Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-ORL), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)
Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal); 
Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#14 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:13 PM

.......It apparently still wasn't a requirement in Canada in 1992 when Via's Budd cars went through an extensive refurbishment when they were HEP'd, as they kept their chairs then.

The Renaissance Diners on the Ocean have booth seating and the individual chairs in the Prestige Parks have been replaced with sofas.

Attached Files

• railiner and Dakota 400 like this

#15 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:48 PM

Beautiful interior's....not quite like the original furnishing's, but still serve the same function, and look very contemporary.....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#16 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,709 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:50 AM

The Parks also had a seating reduction (in the context of the Prestige product) when that happened.  Sigh.

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users