Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak Rail Pass - Planning the great adventure - advice and questions

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Jet Peddler

Jet Peddler

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Vespas, Motorcyles, Trains, Boy Scouting.

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:07 PM

I'm strongly considering buying either a 8-segment over 15 day, or a 12-segment over 30 day pass and taking the following route:

San Antonio to LA

LA to Chicago

Chicago to SF

SF to San Diego

San Diego to Seattle

Seattle to Chicago

Chicago to San Antonio.

If purchased ahead of time and with some careful planning I should be able to do all for $2,150-$2,350 (train expenses only).

I have several of questions I need help with.

1) What time of year would make for the best trip?

2) If I did this straight through but with only one night in a hotel per segment, would it drive me nuts? My main goal is to see the country and not the cities I'll be overnighting in as I've been to most all of them already.

3) I'm probably going to go it alone and will be getting a Roomette. Anything (other than the obvious) I should take with me to pass the time or better enjoy things?

4) Any other thing I should be mindful of before I go or in planning the trip?

Be sure if this trip happens you'll have to suffer through numerous YouTube videos! Thanks in advance all! 

• oregon pioneer likes this

#2 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:13 PM

You'd get the most daylight and the most time to see stuff around June. On the other hand, you might want to see fall colors in October. If Chicago is involved, definitely avoid winter as avoid weather delays and little daylight days.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#3 Maglev

Maglev

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:32 PM

I don't know how you came up with your cost estimate, but it seems very low for Roomettes on all those trains, especially if you take your trip during expensive high seasons, such as June when there is the most daylight.  

The main thing that would drive me nuts by not breaking up the trip is worrying about close connections, although your itinerary looks as if you would have to overnight anyway between most trains.

I am not sure what things you consider obvious to bring along.  There is no Wifi on many trains.  If you are in a sleeper room (but not in coach), you may consume private stock of alcohol.

Have you ever taken an overnight trip by train before?

• cpotisch likes this

Northeast corridor Heritage, Metroliner, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#4 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:43 PM

I don't know how you came up with your cost estimate, but it seems very low for Roomettes on all those trains, especially if you take your trip during expensive high seasons, such as June when there is the most daylight.  

All at low bucket, I did a very rough estimate and it came out to about $2,600 total. However there might be some discounted connecting tickets in the mix though (which I didn't take into account), so the $2,150-2,350 could very well be right. That said, I think it would be near impossible to find low bucket roomettes on every single segment of a trip like that.  :unsure:

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#5 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:29 PM

My quick check of low bucket Roomette upgrades (only) for your trip using AmSnag came to $1,576  That along with a 15 day, $459 rail pass adds up to $2,035.  For the SAS to LAX leg, the Roomette upcharge is $80 less on the Sunset Limited (Train 1) than on the Texas Eagle (Train 421).

Also, there are essentially no low bucket Roomettes available on the California Zephyr after February, 2019.  Post #44 in this thread...  http://discuss.amtra...-to-book/page-3  ...contains a chart showing the availability of low bucket Roomettes on all the trains between their end points.

Planning such a trip to get low bucket sleeper accommodation on every leg is quite challenging but it van usually be done if there's a  lot of flexibility in your travel dates.

Edited by niemi24s, 09 October 2018 - 07:32 PM.

#6 Jet Peddler

Jet Peddler

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Vespas, Motorcyles, Trains, Boy Scouting.

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:45 PM

I worked with Amtrak reservations on the phone for over an hour on the itinerary. With advance purchase and availability, the prices are what I stated.

When you buy the rail pass, you pay a discounted rate for the roomettes on each segment.

Anyhoo, the price isn't the issue here. Curious about answers to the questions I posed.

Thanks!  

Edited by Jet Peddler, 09 October 2018 - 07:46 PM.

• Ryan, daybeers and cpotisch like this

#7 F900ElCapitan

F900ElCapitan

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:25 AM

Here’s my best advice,

1) October

2) That’s a you question and how much you LOVE to ride trains. It is a very long trip, so an absolute love of riding trains would be required.

3) There are a number of YouTube videos out there with great recommendations. Sounds like you’re going to record a bunch, be careful to not let that distract you from beautiful scenery. I’ll be taking a long trip next September and I will be bringing my scanner (and my wife).

4) Read up and completely understand how to use the Rail Pass and know it’s limitations. For instance, if you need to change plans, it won’t get you onto a train that is greater than 80% booked, etc.

Good luck! Sounds like a wonderful trip!

Aaron
  • cpotisch likes this

#8 GBNorman

GBNorman

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Interests:Retired CPA; employed within railroad industry 1970-81

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:27 AM

Great trip plan for a "twentysomething post-college, pre-life"; otherwise, "too much". That you are using Sleepers and, if I read your originating post correctly, hotels for one night at each end point, certainly will "help". I took "marathons" like that, both here and overseas, when I was in that demographic. Now in my later seventies, any such are in my memory bank.
  • JayPea and daybeers like this

#9 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:38 AM

..... I took "marathons" like that, both here and overseas, when I was in that demographic. Now in my later seventies, any such are in my memory bank.

Ahhhh.....Memories! Reminds me of a USARail Pass adventures 40 years ago:

http://discuss.amtra...enture-in-1976/
  • railiner likes this

#10 Skyline

Skyline

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:04 AM

During Amtrak's first decade, I took at least two of the then-current 14-day Rail Pass trips each year. It was my vacation for about eight years. No regrets. BTW it was 14 days unlimited riding in coach for $150 back then. Upgrades could only happen 30 minutes before departure, or on board.

Of course there were more connecting options back then, and I was able to stay in hotels, get meal vouchers, etc. for missed connections. Not sure how today's policy works with a Railpass. That threw off the itinerary ahead, and it made for quite a challenging time trying to rearrange everything. There were no cell phones or websites or apps then. It all had to be done from a pay phone or in front of a ticket agent where existing.

Eventually I was able to cover every (then-existing) mile on Amtrak, and later, VIA Canada. 

If I would do what you're planning now, I would want to pre-schedule an overnight hotel in any city where the advertised connection was less than six hours. Even then, you takes your chances. It seems as if you've built that in some places.

• railiner likes this

#11 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,605 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:20 AM

I too was fortunate to be able to use the Bargain Rail Passes back in the day when they included Unlimited Travel on Amtrak and VIA!😙

"..Those were the Days My Friend,I thought they'd Never End.."
  • railiner likes this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#12 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:04 AM

I was another one of those "marathon rider's" back in the '70's.   IIRC, things were a lot more flexible then...I think you could just obtain tickets as you went, according to whim...the only limitation was that you could get 'stuck' somewhere, if the reserved trains were 'sold out', but then you go later, as long as the pass was still valid. 

It was the next best thing to having an employee pass in some ways....employees only paid half price for rooms, but then again, they could not reserve more than 24 hours in advance, even for coach...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#13 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:34 AM

I'd just warn you that San Francisco isn't directly served by trains, so that would require a bus segment.  As far as I recall, even a short bus segment (these often add only $1 to the cash fare) counts as a segment on a rail pass regardless of how much it costs.

There are alternate means to get to San Francisco from Emeryville.  Either AC Transit (local bus service), or the free Emery-Go-Round bus to the Macarthur BART Station and then on to San Francisco.

You can't purchase the bus segment individually, but there are workarounds since these buses are the most convenient way to get there.  You could do something like end in Martinez and then take San Joaquin or Capitol Corridor to Emeryville with a  bus transfer to San Francisco.  Or possibly buy a ticket (must use multi-city to force the schedule to the 5005 bus connecting with the Zephyr) from maybe Berkeley to San Francisco ($11.50), and throw away the Berkeley to Emeryville segment.

Edited by BCL, 10 October 2018 - 11:35 AM.

#14 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:43 AM

Just thinking about your schedule, and that's 11 segments.  If you pack light there might be ways to use an 8-segment pass by taking alternate transportation (baggage might be limited) or just paying a cash fare on Amtrak.  I mentioned the ways around it from Emeryville to San Francisco.

San Antonio to LA - 1 segment
LA to Chicago - 1 segment
Chicago to SF - 2 segments
SF to San Diego - 3 segments (bus/Coast Starlight/Pacific Surfliner)
San Diego to Seattle - 2 segments (Pacific Surfliner/Coast Starlight
Seattle to Chicago - 1 segment
Chicago to San Antonio. - 1 segment

For SF to San Diego it might be possible to take Caltrain down to San Jose and then the Coast Starlight to LA.  Then a cash fare on the Surfliner.  I'm not sure you could do this schedule in 15 days though, or if you'd want to.

12 segments and you can get it all in.  I'd think your bigger concern is time.  30 days should be enough.

#15 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:52 AM

I am surprised that an Amtrak Only, Thruway bus trip is charged as a separate segment.... :unsure:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#16 Maglev

Maglev

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:58 AM

The USA Rail Pass is valid for travel on all Amtrak trains except:

• Thruway bus connections (7000-7999 series)

Never mind, Emeryville to SF is #5005.

Edited by Maglev, 10 October 2018 - 12:04 PM.

Northeast corridor Heritage, Metroliner, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#17 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:43 PM

The USA Rail Pass is valid for travel on all Amtrak trains except:

• Thruway bus connections (7000-7999 series)

Never mind, Emeryville to SF is #5005.

It's certainly valid, but it kind of a waste of a travel segment.  I remember a lot of discussions about how to avoid using a segment, whether it was a throwaway train segment to book the bus on a cash fare, taxi, or alternate means.

The bus segments were often a good way to rack up AGR points though.  My cheapest was 400 points in under 2.5 hours on a weekend special.  It could have been cheaper although I wasn't sure about whether or not I'd get my ticket scanned.

#18 bms

bms

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:25 PM

Sounds like a glorious plan! I would take the trip in June to maximize daylight. And I would pack some good books, especially since numerous areas on those routes have no cell service.
  • tricia likes this

#19 montana mike

montana mike

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, golf, hiking, train trips!

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:27 PM

I would prefer the Fall (September/October).   June can get quite expensive on the SEA to CHI segment, plus the trains are often less crowded then (fewer families traveling).   In June the Empire Builder for example is totally full.   Just my two cents worth.

#20 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:48 PM

I would prefer the Fall (September/October).   June can get quite expensive on the SEA to CHI segment, plus the trains are often less crowded then (fewer families traveling).   In June the Empire Builder for example is totally full.   Just my two cents worth.

Is that really an issue with the flat rate for the USA Rail Pass?  I'd think the main concern would be availability since rail pass reservations are supposedly limited.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users