Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Newbie travelling on Silver line from FL to DC

48 replies to this topic

#21 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:59 PM

Do the coach attendants let you know when you are getting close to your departure station.  With a 7am arrival time, I don't want to wake up super early for fear of oversleeping?  

If you are in coach, you will not have to worry about oversleeping.  If you are in a sleeper, the SCA (sleeping car attendant) will make sure you are awake.  You can ask him/her to wake you up at a certain time.  The dining car opens at 6:30.  Most of the time, the passengers detraining in WAS have enough time to eat breakfast before arriving in WAS.  A handfull of times, I have been on the Silver Meteor when it arrived early and I was unable to eat breakfast on the train.

• Dakota 400, cpotisch and Maggie's Mom like this

Amtrak miles: 248,633; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#22 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for the great info on the Club at Union Station.  I will definitely have some time to kill before my return trip 'cause I'll get there super early so I don't miss my train.  Nice to know that there's a place to relax and get a snack.  

Do the coach attendants let you know when you are getting close to your departure station.  With a 7am arrival time, I don't want to wake up super early for fear of oversleeping?  

Amtrak doesn't want passengers missing their stops any less than you do. They will make sure you are out and about in time for your arrival. :)

Edited by cpotisch, 10 October 2018 - 09:41 AM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#23 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:18 PM

If you are in coach, you will not have to worry about oversleeping.  If you are in a sleeper, the SCA (sleeping car attendant) will make sure you are awake.  You can ask him/her to wake you up at a certain time.  The dining car opens at 6:30.  Most of the time, the passengers detraining in WAS have enough time to eat breakfast before arriving in WAS.  A handfull of times, I have been on the Silver Meteor when it arrived early and I was unable to eat breakfast on the train.

I have been wondering if there would be time for breakfast on the train if 98 is close to being on time at Washington.  Assuming an on time arrival and the dining car opening at 6:30,  can one really be served and eat in that time interval?  Or, is one simply gulping food as quickly as one can?  I am thinking that with so few staff members preparing and serving the food, and with several people needing to be served, having breakfast prior to an on-time arrival is unrealistic.

Usually, what time does the SCA have coffee available?

#24 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:19 PM

I have been wondering if there would be time for breakfast on the train if 98 is close to being on time at Washington.  Assuming an on time arrival and the dining car opening at 6:30,  can one really be served and eat in that time interval?  Or, is one simply gulping food as quickly as one can?  I am thinking that with so few staff members preparing and serving the food, and with several people needing to be served, having breakfast prior to an on-time arrival is unrealistic.

I do not drink coffee, so I am unsure when the SCA has it ready, but I think it is well before 6:30. I think the dining car crew does a good job getting breakfast to the passengers in 30 minutes or so.  If you are de-training in WAS and the train is "on time," I would be ready to go, then be one of the first in the dining car.  Some crews will let passengers in around 6:25, others will send you away or make you stand and wait to be seated until 6:30.  

Amtrak miles: 248,633; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#25 RichieRich

RichieRich

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:50 PM

You didn't mention just why you were going to DC. As the resident AutoTrain regular ... if you had to go anywhere (DMV) a car would be helpful...there's no question = AutoTrain. You are just a half hour up I-4 from Sanford. Stretch out in a bedroom with your own bathroom/shower, chair, sofa (hide-a-bed). I just find bedding down (next to) a toilet kinda ickie. Butt then that's not even an option on the AT. NON-stop SFA - to - LOR. Leave Sanford 4PMish, arrive Lorton 8AMish.

Attached Files

• Attached File  AT7.jpg   77.39KB   10 downloads

Edited by RichieRich, 10 October 2018 - 04:52 PM.

#26 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,435 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:51 PM

[quote name="cpotisch" post="777480" timestamp="1539182456"][quote name="Maggie's Mom" post="777425" timestamp="1539132382"]
Thanks for the great info on the Club at Union Station.  I will definitely have some time to kill before my return trip 'cause I'll get there super early so I don't miss my train.  Nice to know that there's a place to relax and get a snack.  

[/quote]
Amtrak doesn't want passengers missing their stops any less than you do. They will make sure you are out and about in time for your arrival. :)[/quote]
I have been on trains and have had early morning stops. The Conductor or SCA will wake you 30 minutes (in coach) or 45 minutes (in sleeper) prior to arrival.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#27 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,435 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:59 PM

I just find bedding down (next to) a toilet kinda ickie. But then that's not even an option on the AT.

The in room toilet is sealed, and besides your head is not near it (your feet are). In fact, in an AT bedroom, your head is closer to the toilet (in distance).
  • cpotisch likes this
Take it easy .......

#28 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:42 PM

Stretch out in a bedroom with your own bathroom/shower, chair, sofa (hide-a-bed).

Bedrooms with a private, enclosed toilet and shower are available on the Silvers. And since the OP is planning on a round-trip, I highly doubt she'll be in D.C. long enough for it to be worth it to bring a car.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#29 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:58 PM

As for coffee, I believe it is supposed to be on by 6:00, but of course may vary. When you board, the SCA will stop by your roomette and explain how everything works. Sometimes they add when coffee will be ready in that introductory talk, but if they don't, I ask them.

I get a caffeine headache if I don't have a cup the minute I wake up, so I always bring some dark chocolate as a caffeine backup if it is not ready.

#30 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:41 PM

As for coffee, I believe it is supposed to be on by 6:00, but of course may vary. When you board, the SCA will stop by your roomette and explain how everything works. Sometimes they add when coffee will be ready in that introductory talk, but if they don't, I ask them.

I get a caffeine headache if I don't have a cup the minute I wake up, so I always bring some dark chocolate as a caffeine backup if it is not ready.

Thanks for this suggestion as to what to ask the SCA when I board in Fort Lauderdale.  No caffeine issues for me if I don't have it, but, with such an early morning arrival with possibly no breakfast and some challenges to get to my destination in Greenbelt, Maryland, a cup or two of coffee would be appreciated.

#31 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:47 PM

I do not drink coffee, so I am unsure when the SCA has it ready, but I think it is well before 6:30. I think the dining car crew does a good job getting breakfast to the passengers in 30 minutes or so.  If you are de-training in WAS and the train is "on time," I would be ready to go, then be one of the first in the dining car.  Some crews will let passengers in around 6:25, others will send you away or make you stand and wait to be seated until 6:30.  

Thanks for your response!  Whether 98 is on time or not, I will be prepared for such and hit the dining car ASAP when I can.  Frankly, I hope we will be seriously late so that I can enjoy a nice breakfast and enjoy watching us enter the WAS area.  

(And, I function better when I see some sunlight rather than the darkness of a January morning at that time of day.)

• pennyk and Maggie's Mom like this

#32 RichieRich

RichieRich

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:04 PM

I just find bedding down (next to) a toilet kinda ickie. But then that's not even an option on the AT.

The in room toilet is sealed, and besides your head is not near it (your feet are). In fact, in an AT bedroom, your head is closer to the toilet (in distance).

??? The toilet /shower is a separate room with a door that closes. While I do change positions, I usually put the pillows by the bedroom door, not the window, but have the option to switch back & forth. If you look at the pic above, my niece has the pillow by the window. Can you even SEE the bathroom door (very lower right of the pic) opposite the chair.

#33 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,435 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:44 AM

But if you put the pillows at the door side, you head (with the wall) is like 2-3 feet from the toilet. In a roomette even without a wall in between, your head is 4-5 feet from the SEALED toilet.

Edited by the_traveler, 11 October 2018 - 12:46 AM.

Take it easy .......

#34 Maggie's Mom

Maggie's Mom

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:43 AM

I, too, was wondering about getting breakfast with that timeframe but will definitely be ready to go at 6:30 and just hope the train is not early.

#35 Maggie's Mom

Maggie's Mom

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:45 AM

That's great news that the SCA will stop by and explain things - as you have guessed, I have alot of questions (drives my hubby crazy).

• Mystic River Dragon likes this

#36 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:35 AM

I, too, was wondering about getting breakfast with that timeframe but will definitely be ready to go at 6:30 and just hope the train is not early.

A few years ago I was on the Meteor when it was expected to arrive in WAS early and the dining car did not open early, so I resolved myself to the fact that I would not get breakfast on the train.  However, due to train traffic or something else, we were delayed right outside of WAS and the dining car opened.  I did not realize that it was open until my excellent sleeping car attendant told me.  He figured that I would not have enough time to eat, so he asked me what I would like to order.  He ordered a breakfast to go for me, and I carried it off the train.  I ended up eating my train breakfast in the food court in Union Station sitting with Ryan (who happended to be passing through WAS on his way to work).  This was a win-win-win for me.

I rarely (if never) wish for train 98 to be early into WAS - especially when that is my destination.

• Railroad Bill, Ryan, Dakota 400 and 3 others like this

#37 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:57 AM

P.S.--Maggie's Mom, I see you have joined us on AU--welcome! :)

#38 Maggie's Mom

Maggie's Mom

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:16 AM

Thank you.  It appears I'll be doing several trips a year on the train so after my initial maiden voyage, I hope to help others.    You guys are such a friendly bunch; full of great tips. 

• Mystic River Dragon and cpotisch like this

#39 Maglev

Maglev

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:24 AM

Thank you.  It appears I'll be doing several trips a year on the train so after my initial maiden voyage, I hope to help others.    You guys are such a friendly bunch; full of great tips. 

Be sure to join Amtrak Guest Rewards, so that you can get some benefits from your train travel!  It's their "frequent flyer" program.

Edited by Maglev, 11 October 2018 - 11:24 AM.

• Maggie's Mom likes this

Northeast corridor Heritage, Metroliner, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#40 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:56 PM

Be sure to join Amtrak Guest Rewards, so that you can get some benefits from your train travel!  It's their "frequent flyer" program.

I would also recommend getting the Bank of America Guest Rewards World MasterCard. You'll get a companion coupon and upgrade coupon upon signing up, and 20,000 Guest Rewards points once you spend $1000 with the card (worth roughly $700). And you'll get a point for every dollar spent on regular stuff, two points for every dollar spent on travel, and three points for every dollar spent on Amtrak. That really adds up. :)

• Maggie's Mom likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users