Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Last printed system timetable

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, ship travel, history, science, languages, old TV shows and commercials (pre-1970), American folk songs, and classic movies.

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:51 AM

I have a winter-spring 2016 timetable (effective 1-11-16) as the last printed issue for the system.   Any after that date?

I also have a 2016-2017 Rail Vacations booklet which I suspect is the last printed one as well.

I have traveled by train since 1956 in the USA (including Alaska), Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Western Europe, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Zimbabwe.
My last pre-Amtrak trip was the Texas Chief from Ft. Worth to Chicago and the Capitol Limited from Chicago (Northwestern station) to Washington D.C.
I rode my first Amtrak train in April 1972. I have ridden nearly all the long-distance routes including the Texas Chief (Lone Star), Inter-American, Panama Limited, National Limited, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Spirit of California, Sunset Limited (Florida extension), Broadway Limited, and Chief. I also rode the Rio Grande Zephyr, Southern Crescent, Peoria Rocket, Georgia RR mixed train, and Soo Line mixed train in the post-Amtrak era.

#2 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:15 AM

I have a winter-spring 2016 timetable (effective 1-11-16) as the last printed issue for the system.   Any after that date?

I also have a 2016-2017 Rail Vacations booklet which I suspect is the last printed one as well.

Winter-Spring 2016 is the latest one I have.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#3 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:24 PM

Winter-Spring 2016 is the latest one that I have as well.

Is it really true that Amtrak is no longer printing route specific timetables as well?

#4 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:26 PM

Is it really true that Amtrak is no longer printing route specific timetables as well?

I can report that there were plenty of up-to-date printed Pacific Surfliner timetables available at Van Nuys two weeks ago.

Edited by trainman74, 09 October 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#5 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:46 PM

I can report that there were plenty of up-to-date printed Pacific Surfliner timetables available at Van Nuys two weeks ago.

Thanks for replying!

How about the Silver Service from  Washington to Miami available at Washington or Fort Lauderdale for a return journey?

#6 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:58 PM

I believe the OP was inquiring about the System (national) timetable that was printed, now only available as a PDF...

https://www.amtrak.c...able-060118.pdf

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

#7 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:44 PM

A few years ago, I was told that VIA Rail also discontinued them, but this past June, I pick one up in Montreal (on request, not on display), dated 5 November 2017.   And I believe there may be a 2018 update...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#8 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:21 PM

I believe the OP was inquiring about the System (national) timetable that was printed, now only available as a PDF...

Yes, I understand that.  But, I recall reading that the printed specific route timetables were also no longer available.  I just wanted to confirm that information.

#9 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:32 PM

Yes, I understand that.  But, I recall reading that the printed specific route timetables were also no longer available.  I just wanted to confirm that information.

Yea, I also recall mention of specific route timetables will no longer printed... somewhere!

Also, trainman74 mentioned Pacific Surfliner timetables being available...perhaps being the Surfliner is state funded has something to do with. Just like they retained discount programs which were discontinued by Amtrak...that again came from the State of California not Amtrak.

Edited by FrensicPic, 10 October 2018 - 03:37 PM.

John...

#10 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,632 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:49 PM

I can tell you that it's almost impossible to find timetables for the NEC at 30th Street. 

When I was in DC in January there were a lot of timetables at the counter near the Club Acela.

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#11 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:06 PM

I can tell you that it's almost impossible to find timetables for the NEC at 30th Street. 

When I was in DC in January there were a lot of timetables at the counter near the Club Acela.

They have also largely, if not completely, disappeared from Chicago as well.

Edited by Eric S, 11 October 2018 - 03:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users