My Gathering trip -- the rest of the story

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1645 hours on Thursday, my usual quitting time. I'm done with work for the week, and it's off the the Gathering! Down the elevator pulling my rollerbag. Out the door, across Pennsylvania Ave., up 13th St. to the Metro Entrance at G. Down the escalators. (Thank God they fixed the down escalator, it wasn't working this morning, and I had no desire to muscle my 30 lb rollerbag down the steps.) Into the Metro with its (relatively) luggage-friendly turnstiles, and long live my new Geezer Smartrip card with it's half-fare Senior Citizen rides. A short, not too crowded Metro ride, and I'm at Union Station. Through the turnstiles, up the escalator, and over the the Club Acela. My train, Acela Express 2124, leaves at 1750 hours, and I'm riding First class (points redemption.)

They announce our train, and I'm out the door hoping to snag a decent single seat facing front that doesn't have a rear facing seat behind, so I'm sure I have full recline. I get that, plus I snag space in the luggage rack at the end of the car so I don't have to hoist my 30 pound bag into the overhead bins. I'n now comfortably set, and one of the 2 car attendants comes and checks my ticket before he serves me the free booze. (Woodford Reserve Bourbon on the rocks, in my case.)

We pull out on time, and my, this first class car is the most full I've ever seen. I guess the 1750 departure is primo for the New York power players returning from a day in the Capital. Usually, the car attendants are ready to take your order within a couple fo minutes of leaving the station, in this case, they didn't take our dinner orders until we were almost at Baltimore. But I didn't care, I had a nice generous pour of bourbon to keep me happy.

20180927_182335.jpg

No stopping here tonight!

On we went, and it was time for dinner. The selections were a bit thin this weekend: breaded pork cutlets, some sort of vegetarian curry, a "fruit and cheese plate," and a shrimp cocktail. I made my choice, but please don't tell my rabbi!
default_smile.png

20180927_183521.jpg

This was accompanied by a nice full glass of Korbel Brut, and, let's just say, I enjoyed the rest of the trip in a pleasant alcoholic fog. I certainly didn't put out my smartphone and fiddle with the GPS app to see if we were doing 135 or 160 or whatever mph for that 30 second stretch in Central Jersey that was upgraded at a cost of zillions of taxpayers dollars. Anyway, I didn't care, we ended up at New York Penn Station at 2049 hours, right on the advertised, a 3 hour trip from Washington. Sure beats driving.

Now I was in midtown Manhattan, but I had to get to my hotel in Brooklyn, located in the gentrifying frontier between Park Slope and Gowanus. Careful study of a New York subway map led me to estimate that there were about 50 different possible one-seat rides between the Penn Station area and Atlantic Ave. I opted for the D line from Herald Square/34th St. This seemed to have the fewest stops and crossed the East River via the Manhattan Bridge rather than a dark tunnel, like the 2 train does.

To do this I had to make sure I left the underground rat's maze pf Penn Station on the 7th Ave. side so I would be in position to head for 6th Ave and Herald Square. I exited from the Rotunda and got a little turned around, so I was on 31st st. instead of my desired 33rd. St.

20180927_205541.jpg

No real problem, but when I got to Herald Square I couldn't find the elevator that was pointed out to me in detail in an earlier discussion thread regarding local transit during the Gathering. I did find an escalator going down, however, and found myself where I needed to go. This station has 3 levels of tracks -- the 6th Ave. Line, the Broadway line, and the PATH line with mezzanines to match. I found a ticket vending machine rather than going to the booth and getting the senior discount round trip metrocards. (My senior Metrocard, for which I applied over 6 weeks ago, finally showed in in my mailbox last Friday.) I ended up getting a 7-day pass just so I wouldn't have to fiddle with paying fares during the weekend, and I think I made enough rides to make it worth my while.

On the D line, I'm off to Atlantic Ave.

20180927_211327.jpg

Finally, I arrived at Atlantic Ave, up the elevator and on to 4th Ave. in Brooklyn. Somebody's taking this global warming thing seriously and trying to cut back on electricity, or maybe the city is just trying to save money, but this major throughfare, like most of the streets in New York, seemed to be very dark. Or maybe it's my cataracts, one of which is being fixed this week. Anyway, I had a 10 minute walk down a street that looked like a set from one of the seedier neighborhoods in "West Side story," except that developers were building apartment houses that were advertising apartments for over a million dollars each. And this is apparently considered to be a reasonable price. God only knows what places are going for in the more fashionable neighborhoods in Manhattan. Despite the darkness and a few street people, I didn't feel I was in any particular danger. There were also a lot of hipsters and middle-class looking folk walking dogs and so forth. I was really most in danger from tripping over the curb in the dark.

I finally reached my hotel, a small 4-story structure converted from what appeared to be a former industrial or warehouse space. I checked in and went up to my room on the 4th floor. The elevator worked fine, and in the room, the plumbing, A/C, electricity, and door lock were fully functional. However, the room had less space than the average Superliner roomette. Part of that was because it had a queen size bed, which took up most of the space. The mattress was very comfortable, by the way, and I slept very well during my stay. Well, who can complain, it's hard to find a hotel room in New York City in September for under $200 a night.

I arranged my stuff, found an outlet for my power strip, set up my CPAP and phone charger and it was off to sleep.

In my next installment, more on my Gathering experiences that nobody else got to see.

--to be continued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great meeting you and Susan and I enjoyed having dinner with you Sat. Night.

PART 2

I slept pretty well, and decided to sleep in a bit Friday morning rather than rush over to Manhattan for the pre-gathering ride. I arose and, being in Brooklyn, started searching Google Maps for "bagels." I found a likely looking place over by Flatbush Ave., and walked over through the neighborhood. Bergen Bagels was a nice local place. Unfortunately it's seating capacity was minimal, and there was a long line, which I guess must mean it's well liked by the locals.

20180928_092239.jpg

I got an everything bagel, lox and a schmear for about the same price as I'd pay for a similar sandwich in Baltimore. So not all New York prices are out of line. There was really nowhere to eat it, however, so I walked up Platbush Ave. to the Atlantic Ave. Subway Station, and boarded the D train for Manhattan. I ate on the train, a bit warily, because eating on the Washington subway is strictly verboten, but this doesn't seem to be a problem in New York. I got off at 4th St and walked around the West Village (I think that's were I was) for a while, and then rode up to the Penn Station area in plenty of time to meet the Gathering folks.

For lunch, I finally sampled Pizza Suprema, on 8th Ave just below 31st st., and, yes, it's better than the pizza place inside the station. They had a picture of Anthony Bourdain hanging, I guess he liked the place, and I enjoyed seeing the buckets of pizza sauce relatively close up.

20180928_114951.jpg

20180928_115630.jpg

Finally, I went to the rendezvous point, me the other Gathering folks, and went on our NJT ride to the far New Jersey suburbs that were different from what most people think of when the word "New Jersey" is mentioned. Upon return to Penn Station, I returned to the Club Acela and got separated from the rest of the group. Once I figured out I wasn't going to find them, I started think about dinner on my own. Noodling around through Google Maps, I saw a stretch of 32nd St. between 5th and 6th Aves. that's known as Korea Town, and a couple of highlighted joints labeled as "Korean BBQ." I had heard about it, so I figured now's as good a time as any to try it.

A quick review of the possibilities on Google maps suggested a place called Jongro BBQ. It seemed to have higher ratings than the others. So off I went down 32nd st.

Before I got there, a passed a food court buffet with authentic Japanese style plastic food displays. I brought back memories of my trip to Japan in 1978, where we would drag non-english speaking waiters out to the window to show them what we wanted.

20180928_180408.jpg

On the east side of 6th Ave., Korea Town started. I passed by an H-Mart, my favorite source for Asian groceries, and a number of Korean BBQ places, though it seemed they were catering to the tourist trade. I saw the sign for Jongro on a second-floor window, and realized that it was on the second floor, but I had a hell of time figuring how to access it. I finally asked, and someone pointed me to a nondescript entrance to an apparent office building, no sign or anything. The guard in the lobby pointed to elevator, at which a number of Asian-looking people were waiting. I guess you have to know about this place, or something.

I rode up and the elevator door opened into a space reminiscent (I guess) of a Korean neighborhood.

20180928_192001.jpg

I was a little concerned that I might get the cold shoulder, what with being a single diner and such, but the service was excellent. They took my name and said something about a 10 minute wait, but I wasn't standing around more than 30 seconds before they took me to a booth whith a couple of gas burners in the middle. While it appeared they had a complete Korean menu, the deal with the BBQ is that you order the meat of your choice, It comes cut in bite size chinks with kimchee, some marinated onions, scallion, and some sort of seaweed salad. Also a place to lettuce leaves and dipping sauce. A bowl of rice is $1.00 extra. The waiter lights the burners, one of which holds a small grill, the other has an iron pot with a egg custard. When the grill heats up enough, the waiter takes the meat and grills it for you, sometimes taking out a pair of scissors to snip the meat chunks to a more manageable size for handling with chopsticks. You can either take the cooked meat with your chopsticks, dip it in the sauce and eat directly, or take the meat and the various veggies and make a "taco" with the lettuce leaf. I did both, but I first started with a bottle of Sochu, a Korean equivalent to sake. Hey, I'm in New York, it's not like I have to drive home!

20180928_183230.jpg

20180928_183353.jpg

MMM, yummy, it was good. I'll have to try it again, especially since I've found out that we have Korean BBQ places in Baltimore, a good bit cheaper than this place. But despite the expense, it was pretty good, and it seems to a a popular place for the local Korean and Korean-American population.

20180928_192342.jpg

After walking the block in Korea Town, it was back to the subway and back to Brooklyn.

Saturday morning required rising relatively early for our all-day Amtrak adventure. I wasn't going to mess around with trying to find another bagel place in Brooklyn, I figured I go straight to Penn Station. Out the hotel and up 4th Ave (Brooklyn) Towards the Atlantic Ave. Subway Station.

20180929_072613.jpg

20180929_072749.jpg

This was some sort of structure built as part of the subway station. It looked like an entrance, but there were no doors. I went across the street to and entrance to the Atlantic Terminal of the LIRR, where they also had a subway entrance. Because I wanted to go right to Penn Station, I just took the 2 line right to 34th St. Out the station, up and escalator to the Amtrak level and I found Zaro's Family Bakery. This is a local chain, and they make god bagels, in case you are ever at Penn Station, have a craving for bagels and don't want to ride to Brooklyn or the Upper West Side.

20180929_080040.jpg

20180929_080156.jpg

Bagel in hand, I wandered over the the meeting point and found our train was running late. Had a great day with everyone, and after dinner at the Tick Tock diner, I headed back to my hotel. Having ridden the subway all weekend, I decided to forgo the alternate Gathering itinerary and plan one of my own. Little did I know that all my plans would need serious real-time revisions. Despite that, I ended my Gathering trip having a good time. My day in New York and my ride home in the next installment.

--To be continued

I ate on the train, a bit warily, because eating on the Washington subway is strictly verboten, but this doesn't seem to be a problem in New York.
That is one of the nice parts of the NY Subway. That said, this does mean that when I'm on mass transit in other cities, I have the exact opposite issue. I'm so used to being allowed to eat and drink on the train, that I'm usually a bit uneasy that I'll forget I can't and get in trouble for it. Funny how that works.

attachicon.gif
20180929_072749.jpg

This was some sort of structure built as part of the subway station. It looked like an entrance, but there were no doors.
Checked with my dad and apparently that used to be an entrance to the station, but for some reason they closed it a while back. Don't know why, though.

Anyhow, glad to hear you seemed to enjoy the sights, sounds, (and tastes) in my neck of the woods.
default_smile.png

Back