Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Hurricane Michael

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,727 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:35 PM

I just boarded auto train south bound. Thankfully I did not get cancelled. Should be an interesting evening.

You should not have any problem. You will be past the area that Michael will pass well before he gets there. But then again you are on the front right quadrant, so you could meet a few tornados hundred or more miles away from the center.

Edited by jis, 10 October 2018 - 03:10 PM.

#42 Hytec

Hytec

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:36 PM

Wouldn’t it be ironic if the same tracks wiped out by Katrina get knocked out this time?

I’m NOT saying I’m hoping for it - just that it would be ironic...

Katrina knocked CSX tracks between New Orleans and Pascagoula, MS. Michael won't affect those tracks, but probably will east of Mobile, AL or Pensacola, FL, for who knows how far. 

• CrazyTrain likes this

#43 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,445 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:39 PM

If a railroad suspends operation on a stretch, it would also Amtrak. This is because trains are dispatched by the railroad - if there are no dispatchers on duty, they can not dispatch an Amtrak train. Also, many times the railroad removes crossing gates (to keep them from becoming projectiles). If the crossing does not have gates, a train can not operate unless it stops at EVERY crossing and crew protects that crossing.
  • CrazyTrain likes this
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#44 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:49 PM

So do they allow simply canceling a trip anymore without penalty when they are unable to deliver you to the destination within a few or even several hours of the original trip, at least for the most expensive fares? Or is it now time to get in touch with Congresspeople and start working on an Rail Passenger Bill of Rights in this country like there are in a few other countries, and like the Air Passenger Bill or Rights?

I know there used to be a rule that if the train was more than an hour late (for regional trains) or two hours late (for long distance trains) that you could get a full refund of the fare. I can't find that on amtrak.com right now, though. In practice, when the EB is severely late I've been able to get a refund of any cash paid without any hassle. (Getting a companion coupon back is another story.)

• jis and CrazyTrain like this

#45 lordsigma

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:30 PM

According to the conductor we presently have clearance to proceed. I would assume if that changes we will likely halt at Florence. Hopefully we'll make it through. We did depart Lorton 30 mins early so we'll see what happens!

• CrazyTrain likes this

#46 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,845 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:33 PM

In Orlando, we had a very windy feeder band not too long ago.  It is just cloudy now.

Amtrak miles: 248,633; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#47 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,727 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:42 PM

60 miles further southeast in Melbourne, absolutely nothing. Partly cloudy with sunshine and a southerly breeze.

I was looking at a wind map and it looks like the flow from Michael meets the Bermuda High flow here and gets deflected north away from us.

#48 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:07 PM

I'm not buying on Michael.  I think it'll peak at 3 or 4 in the Gulf, but weaken as it turns north-northeast Tuesday into Wednesday (not that the NHC will actually show weakening while approaching the coast, mind you).  Go look up Hurricane Opal 1995 for an analog.

That aged.... poorly....

• jis, chrsjrcj, daybeers and 1 other like this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#49 GaSteve

GaSteve

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:More trains !

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:49 PM

So do they allow simply canceling a trip anymore without penalty when they are unable to deliver you to the destination within a few or even several hours of the original trip, at least for the most expensive fares? Or is it now time to get in touch with Congresspeople and start working on an Rail Passenger Bill of Rights in this country like there are in a few other countries, and like the Air Passenger Bill or Rights?

I know there used to be a rule that if the train was more than an hour late (for regional trains) or two hours late (for long distance trains) that you could get a full refund of the fare. I can't find that on amtrak.com right now, though. In practice, when the EB is severely late I've been able to get a refund of any cash paid without any hassle. (Getting a companion coupon back is another story.)

No such policy on LD trains.

#50 Hytec

Hytec

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:11 PM

Meaningless in this thread, but interesting historically. The New York Central charged extra fare to passengers to ride the 20th Century Limited. If the Century was more than 30 minutes late at either Chicago or New York, only the extra fare was refunded, not the basic fare. They figured they got you there, just not on time. LOL

#51 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:25 PM

When the Silver Meteor was cancelled because of Hurricane Florence, my mother was able to get a refund for one way despite the Star still running in Florida (which she could've taken, but found alternative transportation). The Meteor was operating again for her return trip, and she was able to keep that reservation. This was on a Saver fare, and about two or three days before travel. 

#52 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:28 PM

I could've sworn I read this policy on the Amtrak website a few weeks ago, but now I can't find it. Wonder if it's an unspoken rule now. 

#53 RebelRider

RebelRider

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:21 PM

As far as I know, Amtrak will still refund tickets with no penalty when a corridor train is more than one hour late or a long distance train is more than two hours late. While it does not appear on the Amtrak.com policy page, if you Ask Julie about late trains she quotes this policy.

• jis and Pere Flyer like this

All Aboard America's Railroad!

#54 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,709 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:56 AM

Also, I think if your scheduled train is cancelled you can pull a refund even if Amtrak could otherwise transport you (since even if they can get you there, it might not be according to your schedule...the Star and Meteor tend to operate 4-8 hours apart from Kissimmee north, and that can be enough to hose plans).

• jis likes this

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#55 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,727 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:56 AM

Has anyone seen a crisp policy statement about refunds for cancelled trains anywhere of late? Just wondering if suddenly we will hear “There is no such policy”.

Edited by jis, 11 October 2018 - 07:56 AM.

#56 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,727 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:11 AM

CSX had several dozen cars (box cars) of a freight train topple over in Panama City, apparently in the Western (less intense) Eye Wall.

Apparently it was on a short line, not CSX, since CSX does not go to Panama City, notwithstanding what the Weather Channel reporter said, which I quoted above.

Edited by jis, 11 October 2018 - 11:58 AM.

• CrazyTrain likes this

#57 lordsigma

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:43 AM

According to the conductor we presently have clearance to proceed. I would assume if that changes we will likely halt at Florence. Hopefully we'll make it through. We did depart Lorton 30 mins early so we'll see what happens!

Overall the trip was extremely smooth we arrived at Sanford 8:15 (44 minutes early.) I wonder if CSX cancelled some freight service last night. Only stopped for a freight once at Sellers (and we were wicked early into Florence so I definitely won’t blame CSX there) and then just after Florence we stopped and waited for 98 to pass. We passed 52 at the perfect time near Kingstree station and I don’t believe either train had to stop. From that point on it was non stop cruising except for speed limits/slow orders. Saw no rain but you could feel there was a disturbance in the distance when I got out at Florence. I did see some trees rocking and rolling when a jolt woke me up as we were passing the Savannah platforms. Overall no complaints and made it through the storm!!!! Vacation time!

Based on transit docs 97 Meteor made it thru too but seemingly had fright some interference near Savannah.

We shall see if Meteor and AT are able to run tonight of if there’s trees down/damage.

Edited by lordsigma, 11 October 2018 - 11:50 AM.

• daybeers and cpotisch like this

#58 Hytec

Hytec

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:51 AM

Also heard that Atlanta & St Andrews Bay wood chip cars were on the ground in Panama City, though their trucks were still on the rails. I assume they floated off their trucks when the water rose.

#59 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:52 AM

As far as I know, Amtrak will still refund tickets with no penalty when a corridor train is more than one hour late or a long distance train is more than two hours late. While it does not appear on the Amtrak.com policy page, if you Ask Julie about late trains she quotes this policy.

I have been on MANY two or more hour late LD trains, and with the exception of our 20 hour late derailed Meteor in January, we've never gotten any refunds or compensation of any kind for it. Think about how consistently late the EB has been this summer. Have all those passengers been given full refunds? I think it's much more likely that Julie's info is out of date.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#60 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,727 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:23 PM

Just to give an impression of what Category 4 is capable of:

http://www.northesca...ane-damage-zone

It was still Category 4 when it blasted over I-10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users