Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Shared showers for roomettes questions

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:20 AM

The last 2 trips I took had disposable flip flops, but I have always carried my own since I never saw those before. And I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing them all the time. 

#42 spinnaker

spinnaker

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:41 AM

The last 2 trips I took had disposable flip flops, but I have always carried my own since I never saw those before. And I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing them all the time. 

So Amtrak supplied the disposables??

#43 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:01 AM

Yes, they were white hard foam cutouts, on a sheet,  so you "punched them out" to get the strap and you had a pair. There was a stack of them in the room.  Considering that so many people end up throwing the towels on the floor to try and keep it a little dryer and cleaner to step on, I was pleasantly surprised. I'll have to wait to hear reports from others to see if this is the new normal, or if I saw the Loch Ness Monster.

Edited by PVD, 12 October 2018 - 10:04 AM.

• ehbowen likes this

#44 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,596 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:25 PM

I saw them on the Cap Ltd from PGH-CHI and the Texas Eagle CHI-AUS on the way home from the Gathering, but I travel with a pair of trusty All Condition Sandals so didn't need them.

BTW-The Bath Aminity Kits on the Caps are nice, I took mine home for later use since I always travel with what I need in the Showerand Bathoom on Train trips.
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#45 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 04:07 PM

Yes, they were white hard foam cutouts, on a sheet,  so you "punched them out" to get the strap and you had a pair. There was a stack of them in the room.  Considering that so many people end up throwing the towels on the floor to try and keep it a little dryer and cleaner to step on, I was pleasantly surprised. I'll have to wait to hear reports from others to see if this is the new normal, or if I saw the Loch Ness Monster.

I've never seen them on any trip.

#46 tricia

tricia

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 04:13 PM

Perhaps a recent, fresh-and-contemporary innovation? 

Frankly, to me they sound as useless and wasteful as the "amenity kit"--given that we can't count on any such thing being consistently available on Amtrak, so need to bring our own supplies anyway.

#47 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:14 PM

Frankly, to me they sound as useless and wasteful as the "amenity kit"--given that we can't count on any such thing being consistently available on Amtrak, so need to bring our own supplies anyway.

The disposable flip flops were part of the new meal roll out so yes it is fresh and contemporary.

#48 Skyline

Skyline

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:45 PM

The disposable flip flops were part of the new meal roll out so yes it is fresh and contemporary.

Fresh and contemporary flip-flops? Do you have a photo you could share with the rest of us?

#49 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:49 PM

Fresh and contemporary flip-flops? Do you have a photo you could share with the rest of us?

http://trn.trains.co...ld-meal-service

foodgallery06.jpg?mw=1000&mh=800

#50 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:26 AM

I don't think I would want to be caught dead wearing those... :unsure: :o

• tricia likes this

#51 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:39 AM

I don't think I would want to be caught dead wearing those... :unsure: :o

Not to Breakfast, anyways! :P

• tricia likes this

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#52 spinnaker

spinnaker

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:28 PM

Looks like something you would use to shackle a person's feet. :wacko:

#53 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:43 PM

I never posted the article and pictures earlier since I figured many of you who are bigger diehards than me would have already but I guess not.  :P

#54 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:14 PM

I never posted the article and pictures earlier since I figured many of you who are bigger diehards than me would have already but I guess not.  :P

Interesting. I did not see them while on the CL this summer.

#55 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:54 PM

For what it's worth, they fulfilled their intended purpose of allowing you to shower without stepping in a shower stall or on the floor covered with water or residue from someone else and having it on your feet. But the consistency issue is a valid one, either have them all the time, or don't have them at all, and most of us will pack accordingly.

• cpotisch likes this

#56 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted Yesterday, 07:43 AM

I usually have a pair of Crocs that work!

Edited by Rail Freak, Yesterday, 07:43 AM.

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users