Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Roomette info (when boarding at 2am)?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:49 AM

Consider yourselves lucky. Back in the days of open sections, standard practice was to change from day attire to night clothes and back while lying in your fully made-up berth. And some folks shared their berth (with a traveling companion) to save a few bucks....

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#22 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:54 AM

Consider yourselves lucky. Back in the days of open sections, standard practice was to change from day attire to night clothes and back while lying in your fully made-up berth. And some folks shared their berth (with a traveling companion) to save a few bucks....

You could have done that, but it wasn't really necessary...back in those day's, section sleeper's, and even long distance coaches, had a large men's and a women's 'dressing room' lounge around the restroom's where you could change.

• oregon pioneer, ehbowen, Dakota 400 and 1 other like this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#23 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:38 AM

Two people would actually share a single berth? I get that open section berths were slightly wider than that of a roomette, but that still sounds absolutely miserable. Also, even if people did change clothes in their berths back then, there's no reason why both people would have to change at the same time. I'm just wondering why two people sharing a berth would make any difference when changing...

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#24 bratkinson

bratkinson

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:00 AM

Two people would actually share a single berth? I get that open section berths were slightly wider than that of a roomette, but that still sounds absolutely miserable. Also, even if people did change clothes in their berths back then, there's no reason why both people would have to change at the same time. I'm just wondering why two people sharing a berth would make any difference when changing...

That was SOP on troop trains during World War II.  Hopefully, the two in the bottom berth were both skinny and didn't snore. 

• cpotisch likes this

#25 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:18 AM

On the Canadian I had no trouble changing in the section.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#26 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:27 AM

Two people would actually share a single berth? I get that open section berths were slightly wider than that of a roomette, but that still sounds absolutely miserable.

Oh, yes, it was done. Not by strangers (at least, not outside the context of troop trains, as bratkinson notes), but if you wanted to save the cost of an extra accommodation by sharing with your son or daughter or significant other, you could. As with Amtrak, you still had to purchase a rail fare for them, though, and in relative terms the rail fare was much higher than the accommodation charge by today's standards.

It is said that one of General Palmer's motivations for creating a transcontinental narrow-gauge rail system (which was never completed) was that the loading gauge for narrow-gauge rolling stock was less generous than for standard-gauge; enough so that you could not share berths. General Palmer was apparently one of those personalities who got uptight at the thought of husbands and wives doing what husbands and wives occasionally do behind closed doors (or drawn curtains)....

Also, even if people did change clothes in their berths back then, there's no reason why both people would have to change at the same time. I'm just wondering why two people sharing a berth would make any difference when changing...

It can get a little tight in there....

(But, you're right. One of them could run to the restroom lounge or similar.)

• cpotisch likes this

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#27 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:27 PM

Next time anyone goes to Chicago, walk through the U-505 , that really brings home the shared berth idea.....Racks (berths) in subs are still often shared (someone else is sleeping in it while you are on duty) today, based on crew complement vs available berths. Mercifully, they are somewhat longer.

Edited by PVD, 13 October 2018 - 02:28 PM.

• Dakota 400 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users