Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Southwest Chief #3 CHI-LAX live trip report

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 desertflyer

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 02:23 PM

Ah yes, it's number is 9. Thanks for pointing out that fun fact.

We're about to have lunch. It's definitely fall near Raton with the leaves changing colors.

m8JuI1p.jpg

Between Trinidad and Raton.

Arzwhzk.jpg

Nice views.

HhbUj7S.jpg

The station building and beautiful sky in Raton.

JGcJqih.gif

About halfway between Raton and Las Vegas, NM.

Edited by desertflyer, 06 October 2018 - 03:40 PM.

• railiner, oregon pioneer, cpotisch and 1 other like this

#22 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,596 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 06 October 2018 - 04:25 PM

Nice pics,thanks for sharing!😎

Hopefully the Raton scenery will still be viewable from the Train for years to come!🤔😊
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#23 gaspeamtrak

gaspeamtrak

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:Riding Amtrak!! Watching Amtrak...Riding Via Rail!! Riding British trains and European trains

Posted 06 October 2018 - 05:58 PM

Great stuff !!! Keep it coming !!! Excellent photos !!! Love the KC shot with the "Western Auto Sign" ! Did you plan that or got lucky!?  :)

Thanks for sharing !!!  :)  :)  :)

#24 desertflyer

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 07:14 PM

Great stuff !!! Keep it coming !!! Excellent photos !!! Love the KC shot with the "Western Auto Sign" ! Did you plan that or got lucky!?  :)

Thanks for sharing !!!  :)  :)  :)

That shot took a couple of tries! That sign is iconoc. Glad you're enjoying the pics.

We're now about to depart ABQ 2 hours late.

ZLI03ez.gif

We passed #4 just before Lamy.

Ajs7IF2.jpg

Red rocks in New Mexico.

Jh0qN5q.jpg

Lamy, NM

734GsgV.jpg

Long stop in Albuquerque.

PqQGqeZ.jpg

The station in ABQ.

I really enjoyed the scenery across New Mexico. It wasn't as dramatic as a few other Amtrak routes, but it was still beautiful. I had been to New Mexico before, but only around Santa Fe and Albuquerque, and never via Amtrak.

I apologize that I didn't get a picture of my Chilaquiles because we had a great conversation with a couple visiting from Switzerland. They were ugly and had too much salsa, but were overall good. 

Edited by desertflyer, 07 October 2018 - 06:23 PM.

• Steve4031, railiner, AutoTrDvr and 1 other like this

#25 desertflyer

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:21 PM

On the way out of Albuquerque we took showers and got ready for dinner. It's always an experience taking a shower on a moving train.

At dinner we had yet another friendly conversation with a couple traveling to drive up California's Highway 1 from LA to Monterey. It made for great conversation. I had the salmon, which was pretty dry, and my girlfriend had the risotto which she found had cheese in it. Kind of odd, especially the amount of cheese they added.

They let us walk on the platform at Gallup, NM and Flagstaff, AZ. Flagstaff had a crazy thunderstorm. The rain was pouring so we barely walked on the platform, but it was quite the busy stop.

After Flagstaff we headed to bed. We ran about two hours late all night and so we slept until about Victorville. This meant we had time to have breakfast, and added bonus, but that we were running it close missing our Coast Starlight connection.

Luckily, as many of you probably know, there is quite a lot of schedule padding between San Bernardino and LA Union Station, so we made our Starlight connection with plenty of time to spare.

8qKfCGc.jpg

Stunning sunset and rock formations after leaving Albaquerque.

LVKyOdr.jpg

Walking the platform in Gallup.

kmQfARN.jpg

A very stormy Flagstaff.

4zAyvQv.jpg

I take top bunk because I'm a gentleman.

Edited by desertflyer, 07 October 2018 - 12:24 PM.

• railiner, Tony in Ann Arbor and cpotisch like this

#26 desertflyer

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:06 PM

QoTiBGL.jpg

The rising sun's rays on the mountains just after Victorville.

suOaZgE.jpg

There was very thick fog in the pass before San Bernardino.

hv6sNlo.jpg

Our train at the platform in LA. It was a great ride with interesting passengers and a really caring crew. Tanisha kept our car looking new, including the bathrooms, from Chicago to LA. Amtrak is lucky to have her.

M0RrS4u.gif

Bonus gif of train 14 backing into LAUS.

• railiner, Woodcut60 and cpotisch like this

#27 Chey

Chey

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:North American passenger trains, especially Amtrak and VIA

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:52 PM

One of the most enjoyable trip reports I've seen! Thank you for the wonderful pictures!

#28 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,673 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 07 October 2018 - 05:45 PM

Great report...thanks for taking us along! :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#29 Sauve850

Sauve850

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Scuba Diving, Travel and Adventure

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:01 PM

Great stuff desertflyer! Did the SW Chief LAX to CHI 2 of last 3 summers. A nice ride.

Love flying too. Learned in TriPacer, 150, 172 and favorite was a Comanche. My uncle ran the airport and I was only 13-15 those years but what a joy for a kid!

Edited by Sauve850, 07 October 2018 - 07:01 PM.

#30 iplaybass

iplaybass

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Music, travel, and cooking.

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for the trip report. My family and I are looking forward to our winter trip on 3. Doing the entire route instead of the River Runner connection at KCY.

#31 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for the trip report. My family and I are looking forward to our winter trip on 3. Doing the entire route instead of the River Runner connection at KCY.

So you doing LS to SWC?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#32 iplaybass

iplaybass

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:09 PM

So you doing LS to SWC?
No... STL-CHI-LAX. A few days later, LAX-SAN. I have a very understanding family.

#33 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:11 PM

So you doing LS to SWC?
No... STL-CHI-LAX. A few days later, LAX-SAN. I have a very understanding family.

LS = Lincoln Service. Are you taking the Lincoln Service to the SWC?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#34 iplaybass

iplaybass

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:05 PM

So you doing LS to SWC?
LS = Lincoln Service. Are you taking the Lincoln Service to the SWC?
Yep. 302 in BC. Maybe we'll do the much more interesting northern crossing again. Missed the Arch tunnel and riverfront high line last CHI trip; didn't realize they still let Amtrak run that way until we hit the Musial bridge.

#35 desertflyer

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:15 PM

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I enjoyed sharing the trip.

Just a follow up on the pedestrian our train hit, she was a 53 year old grandmother who for some reason went around the crossing gate. She had just been grocery shopping and appeared to be crossing back to her apartment complex. She died. A really sad situation and I feel for her family and the engineer. http://www.wspynews....258c48e96a.html

• cpotisch likes this

#36 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:10 PM

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I enjoyed sharing the trip.

Just a follow up on the pedestrian our train hit, she was a 53 year old grandmother who for some reason went around the crossing gate. She had just been grocery shopping and appeared to be crossing back to her apartment complex. She died. A really sad situation and I feel for her family and the engineer. http://www.wspynews....258c48e96a.html

Whoah. That really sucks.  :(

Edited by cpotisch, 09 October 2018 - 10:30 AM.

• Bob Dylan likes this

#37 ciship

ciship

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:13 PM

Loved this trip report with the fantastic photos!  Thank you!!

#38 Woodcut60

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains; Amtrak; American Railroad History

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:11 AM

Very nice trip report, and great photography! Love it.

Amtrak Routes Traveled: Lake Shore Limited, California Zephyr, San Joaquin, Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Cardinal, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Southwest Chief, Hiawatha, City of New Orleans, Texas Eagle, Heartland Flyer, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln, Wolverine, Northeast Regional, Acela Express, Downeaster, Vermonter, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Capitol Limited, Pennsylvanian, Amtrak Cascades, Maple Leaf, Adirondack, Ethan Allen Express, Keystone, Carolinian, Piedmont.
Other Routes in North America: Denali Star (Anchorage-Fairbanks, Alaska Railroad), The Ocean (Halifax-Montréal), Corridor (Montréal-Toronto), The Canadian (Toronto-Vancouver).
Amtrak: approx. 29,000 miles and 47 states; VIA Rail Canada: approx. 4,300 miles and eight provinces.

#39 AutoTrDvr

AutoTrDvr

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:58 AM

PqQGqeZ.jpg
The station in ABQ.

Ya know.... Methinks the people who designed this station may have committed a serious trade mark "Faux pas..."    Not unless the station serves a dual transport purpose.... 

Are they thinking the new motto would be "Go.  Amtrak.... and leave the training to us...." ???   :P  :D

Very nice pictures and report, though!  hand10.gif

#40 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,718 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:48 AM

The “station” is actually the Alvarado Transportation Center, which is a multi-modal facility serving multiple bus lines including Greyhound, the Rail Runner and one Amtrak train each way each day. Amtrak is possibly the smaller user of the facility in terms of footfalls.

https://en.wikipedia...ortation_Center

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users