Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

A Domestic Flight but ‘International’

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:13 PM

I've never thought about bringing a GPS along. I might have to do that next time.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#22 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,718 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:38 PM

I've never thought about bringing a GPS along. I might have to do that next time.

First make sure that the airline that you are flying, allows them. Not all airlines allow them.

#23 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:38 PM

BC Ferries runs route from the mainland to Vancouver Island that cross Washington state territorial waters. I heard that was one of the concerns when they were thinking of installing slot machines. I’m not sure how they handle taxes for onboard purchases.

#24 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:44 PM

First make sure that the airline that you are flying, allows them. Not all airlines allow them.

I am somewhat surprised that they are allowed...I had thought that all devices that contained any sort of 'radio' within were banned in flight.

Of course, that becomes hard to define or enforce...what about bluetooth earpieces?  Or wireless mouses...or radio set, wristwatches?  The latter example cannot even be 'turned off'.... :unsure:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#25 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,718 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:54 PM

WiFi is almost universally allowed above 10,000' these days. Indeed for many airlines, a significant part of the IFE system depends on it. Bluetooth Headphones seem to be allowed even during takeoff and landing these days. I have never seen anyone being asked to turn their wireless headphone off.

These are all transmitters that are allowed. GPS is only a receiver. No transmission whatsoever from the units unless they are using WiFi or Bluetooth for something.

Edited by jis, 05 October 2018 - 12:55 PM.

#26 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:56 PM

I am somewhat surprised that they are allowed...I had thought that all devices that contained any sort of 'radio' within were banned in flight.

Of course, that becomes hard to define or enforce...what about bluetooth earpieces?  Or wireless mouses...or radio set, wristwatches?  The latter example cannot even be 'turned off'.... :unsure:

GPS actually will not interfere with flight electronics, because it is receive only, unlike cellular.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw that jis beat me to it.

Edited by cpotisch, 05 October 2018 - 12:56 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#27 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:04 PM

But radio's and television's are also banned in flight because even though they only 'receive', they do have superheterodyne circuit's that generate RF signal's that allegedly can interfere with air navigation.   

I have always wanted to use my scanner in flight, to monitor ATC, but those are banned.   The only way to get around that, would be to find an antique crystal radio set, and have it tuned to the ATC frequency.   Those do not generate any RF signal, but even if you found one, good luck trying to convince the flight crew of that.... :rolleyes:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#28 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:08 PM

I was carrying my Garmin GPS on flights 12 or 13 years ago and never a problem. The one on my Smart Phone is much better now....and the IFE one is better than that with the constant read-out of additional flight info.

Airlines that approve or disapprove of inflight GPS (a bit outdated)

http://www.gpsinform...rgps/airgps.htm

Edited by NS VIA Fan, 05 October 2018 - 01:14 PM.

• jis likes this

#29 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,718 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:21 PM

Do GPS receivers use Superhet? I suspect that the pure digital receivers do not. All that they do is convert the received signal to digital form and then do all the demodulation etc. in DSPs. But I am a bit rusty in this area, so I may be wrong.

Coming to think of it, any digital receiver as in a software defined radio would not suffer from the stray transmission that is inherent in superhet I suppose. No?

#30 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:57 PM

Do GPS receivers use Superhet? I suspect that the pure digital receivers do not. All that they do is convert the received signal to digital form and then do all the demodulation etc. in DSPs. But I am a bit rusty in this area, so I may be wrong.

Coming to think of it, any digital receiver as in a software defined radio would not suffer from the stray transmission that is inherent in superhet I suppose. No?

I don't know...sounds like you know more about it than I do....but if they don't generate any RF, why do some airlines ban them anyway?   Or is it more of a "security", than radio interference issue?

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#31 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,718 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:11 PM

I don't know...sounds like you know more about it than I do....but if they don't generate any RF, why do some airlines ban them anyway?   Or is it more of a "security", than radio interference issue?

Residual analism? :giggle:

#32 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 05 October 2018 - 03:13 PM

One can build a modern crystal radio, no problems. Tuning it to ATC would be a major problem, as there is little selectivity or rejection of adjacent channel signals. Hanging a wire antenna out of the plane window might be problematic too! :D

I note that aircraft ATC still use AM transmissions, I wonder why that is, most modern systems would be FM or digital?

I love to see the scenery from a plane, amazed at the dry ground under flights from Doha, etc to the UK... The main thing is I need an aisle seat for my legroom in economy, so not often I see the ground!

Ed.

#33 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:19 PM

I note that aircraft ATC still use AM transmissions, I wonder why that is, most modern systems would be FM or digital?

It would require a worldwide ground-up reboot of the civil ATC comm system, which hasn't happened since the 1930s. Frequency allocations have been expanded and channels have been added and narrowed, but a change to entirely new technology would be a massive undertaking...and expense.

• cpotisch likes this

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#34 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:22 PM

Was just on this route Monday. Of course, the CRJ900 didn't have the "shoulder room" of the A330, but at least Row 1 had plenty of leg room.

The Fall Colors are nearly at their peak in the Annapolis Valley right now.  Makes for a very beautiful drive going down 101... Which, unfortunately, we're doing daily visiting the hospital in Kentville.

Heading back to California on Thanksgiving. (That'd be this next Monday, for the non-Canadians in the room.)

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#35 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:22 PM

One of the most interesting airplane window views that I have had was on a Delta Buenos Aires-Atlanta flight.  Being awakened when the interior lights began to brighten, I looked at the in-flight map (which I always keep on, if it is available), and I saw we were just East of Orlando.  Raising the shade, the very large metro area of Orlando was alight!  Never realized how much territory metro Orlando covered!

#36 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:47 PM

It would require a worldwide ground-up reboot of the civil ATC comm system, which hasn't happened since the 1930s. Frequency allocations have been expanded and channels have been added and narrowed, but a change to entirely new technology would be a massive undertaking...and expense.

There are some more explanation's (or opinion's) over here...  https://www.airliner...c.php?t=1357995

and here  https://www.pilotsof...adios-am.13841/

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users