Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Norfolk Mayor: NS decision to move HQ to Atlanta "imminent"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 VAtrainfan

VAtrainfan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Travel (by air or rail or highway), roller coasters

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:03 PM

This has been coming for some time apparently, but Norfolk Mayor Kenny Alexander today told reporters that the city's counter offers to keep Norfolk Southern's headquarters in Norfolk have fallen on deaf ears and the railroad is intent on moving to Atlanta, and that the city of Atlanta is close to approving a $1.75B tax incentive deal.

https://pilotonline....6829282ae5.html

#2 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:20 PM

and that the city of Atlanta is close to approving a $1.75B tax incentive deal.

[rolls eyes] Here we go again with cities offering absolutely massive tax incentives just to get multi-billion dollar companies to put their headquarters there.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,599 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:30 PM

Imagine whats going on behind the Scenes with the New Amazon Headquarters hustle??!!!🤔😥
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:57 PM

Hey, that is big money...can't blame businesses for doing what's in their best interest....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#5 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

Hey, that is big money...can't blame businesses for doing what's in their best interest....

True, but you can blame cities and states for choosing to lose out on billions of dollars in tax revenue on something which really is not in their best interest.

Edited by cpotisch, 14 October 2018 - 12:01 PM.

• Pere Flyer likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#6 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,719 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:54 PM

I think it is more complicated than it is being suggested, and I don’t know how the whole picture looks. It is arguably reasonable to forego some tax revenue to seriously enlarge your tax base. The devil is in the details in each case as to whether net net the taxing region comes out ahead over a reasonable period of time, say 15-30 years. So I think an unequivocal claim that in all cases such deals are detrimental is relatively baseless.
  • railiner and cpotisch like this

#7 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:02 PM

I think it is more complicated than it is being suggested, and I don’t know how the whole picture looks. It is arguably reasonable to forego some tax revenue to seriously enlarge your tax base. The devil is in the details in each case as to whether net net the taxing region comes out ahead over a reasonable period of time, say 15-30 years. So I think an unequivocal claim that in all cases such deals are detrimental is relatively baseless.

I agree that the devil is in the details, and I didn't mean to make an umbrella statement about all tax incentives. However, all too many of them are unnecessary and detrimental, and in those cases it is fair to say criticize them.

#8 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:02 PM

Once you pay "protection money", there is no end to it.... ;)
  • neroden likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#9 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,719 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:15 PM

I agree that the devil is in the details, and I didn't mean to make an umbrella statement about all tax incentives. However, all too many of them are unnecessary and detrimental, and in those cases it is fair to say criticize them.
My main concern is that all too often I have found that those who criticize have no more clue than I do about the overall picture and the necessity or lack thereof. It comes often from a doctrinaire political position rather than based on demonstrable facts.

Edited by jis, 14 October 2018 - 04:48 PM.

#10 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:50 PM

The real problem I have with Atlanta throwing 1.75 billion at NS is that they might not see the massive expansion in tax revenue. A lot of these new employees will probably live in the suburbs and spend a majority of their money there. It would make more sense if there was regional incentives too, but that article made it sound like it was City incentives only.
  • cpotisch likes this

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users