Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Should Regionals Fly Under Their Own Colors?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:50 AM

'08 was pretty bleak. American didn't hire a single pilot between 2001 and 2013 while the regionals exploded. It's different now. Pilot's are now being hired everywhere like mad. It's really unprecedented. Many regionals are having trouble filling training classes, but it is causing salaries to do go sharply up, and bonuses to be put on. The legacies are going to retire 2/3rd's of their pilot group in the next 10 years.

• railiner likes this
Amtrak Miles: 209,015 (as of 7/23/18)

#42 GBNorman

GBNorman

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Interests:Retired CPA; employed within railroad industry 1970-81

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:33 AM

Turns out, both flights were "good enough". Going to RIC, it took 40 min to take off, but the best surprise was this wonderful "fiftysomething" gal in 3B. She was joining up with two other college sorority sisters for a "girls weekend" somewhere along I-64 in WVA. She had a new carryon bag, but could not find her driver's license. Even though one of her compainions was renting the car, returning on an airplane without such "could be problematic". But after we both ordered "White" (forgettable French "vin ordinaire" - but for which the Attendant "comped" for Econo+), I suddenly felt something "slick" on the floor. "Dear, somehow the photo on this Missouri Driver's License looks a lot like this lady I have the pleasure to be sitting next to". Hugs.

For the return I had my single seat aft on the ERJ-145 - and my flightseeing. But now for the "reward" for an early landing - 25 minute hold in the Penalty Box for a gate.

All told, "more positives than negatives".

#43 Pere Flyer

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Writing, dancing, traveling

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:49 PM

Turns out, both flights were "good enough". Going to RIC, it took 40 min to take off, but the best surprise was this wonderful "fiftysomething" gal in 3B. She was joining up with two other college sorority sisters for a "girls weekend" somewhere along I-64 in WVA. She had a new carryon bag, but could not find her driver's license. Even though one of her compainions was renting the car, returning on an airplane without such "could be problematic". But after we both ordered "White" (forgettable French "vin ordinaire" - but for which the Attendant "comped" for Econo+), I suddenly felt something "slick" on the floor. "Dear, somehow the photo on this Missouri Driver's License looks a lot like this lady I have the pleasure to be sitting next to". Hugs.

For the return I had my single seat aft on the ERJ-145 - and my flightseeing. But now for the "reward" for an early landing - 25 minute hold in the Penalty Box for a gate.

I’m glad you survived. Pity about the libations. Sitting next to someone on a plane is hard enough, but drinking complimentary mediocre wine in close quarters, oh my…
Then again, where would that Missourian be now were it not for your seating mix-up? Divine providence may have been at play here.

Edited by Pere Flyer, 10 October 2018 - 01:49 PM.

• AmtrakBlue and cpotisch like this

Pere Marquette: 370 (CHI, HOM, GRR); 371 (GRR, HOM, CHI) | Heartland Flyer: 821 (OKC, NOR, FTW); 822 (FTW, NOR, OKC) | Texas Eagle: 21 (CHI, FTW, SAS); 22 (SAS, FTW, AUS, CHI) Cardinal: 50 (CHI, IND, CIN)

SS Line | TRE | DART | MTA | NJT | DC Metro | MBTA | CTA | RTD | MARTA | QLine | Paris Métropolitain | Barcelona Metro | GLI | Jefferson Lines | Ambustitution

#44 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:44 PM

I’m glad you survived. Pity about the libations. Sitting next to someone on a plane is hard enough, but drinking complimentary mediocre wine in close quarters, oh my…
Then again, where would that Missourian be now were it not for your seating mix-up? Divine providence may have been at play here.

No kidding.  :giggle:

• Pere Flyer likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#45 GBNorman

GBNorman

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Interests:Retired CPA; employed within railroad industry 1970-81

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:09 AM

Pity about the libations. Sitting next to someone on a plane is hard enough, but drinking complimentary mediocre wine in close quarters, oh my

Off to Atlanta for weekend Oct 20 with an en route stop in Nashville. My "traveling companion" will be Gustav (I have new recordings of his 2nd and 10th), and
whoever SXM Ch 76 decides I get.

Of course, no en route libations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users