A new way to wait for a train at LAX!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a peek through the window when I was passing through Union Station about a month ago. Looks like they'd taken out many of the original fixtures (presumably temporarily) while working on the flooring.

jq6ew5f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: the brewpub will be called Imperial Western Beer Company, and, food-wise, will specialize in oysters. There will also be a cocktail bar space called The Streamliner. It's scheduled to open later this fall.

Eater.com article

Website (no content yet other than the Imperial Western logo)

Hope they don't mess too much with the cocktail lounge. It is a spectacular design. I was lucky enough to be in a LA Conservancy walking tour that got in it and turned the lights on in there a few years ago.

I think Mary Coulter was responsible for the design (makes sense, given it is a Harvey House).

BTW, it is about time it opened as a restaurant again. It closed in 1968, so it has been 50 years. Glad it survived pretty much intact for all those years, though. I am looking forward to finally eating there. I wanted to when I was a kid and we'd go to Union Station to pick up or drop off some one, but my folks always said it was too expensive.

Where will they film movies now?
default_sad.png
Most movies,commercials and tv shows made @ Union Station are filmed in the Old Ticket Office and the Main Waiting Room.
Seen quite a few movies that did use the Harvey House, though. Off the top of my head, in "Blast from the Past" they used it as the interior of "Club 40s"

Where will they film movies now?
default_sad.png
Most movies,commercials and tv shows made @ Union Station are filmed in the Old Ticket Office and the Main Waiting Room.
Seen quite a few movies that did use the Harvey House, though. Off the top of my head, in "Blast from the Past" they used it as the interior of "Club 40s"
I was thinking that until I saw your comment. It's kind of hard to compare since it was darker than that photo, but I recognize the arches.

Yesterday, 9/20, the windows on the main entrance are still covered; no signage indicating status. To the left of the restaurant entrance is the entrance to "The Streamliner".

20180919_162437_1.JPG

20180919_162353_1.JPG

Yesterday, 9/20, the windows on the main entrance are still covered; no signage indicating status. To the left of the original entrance is the entrance to "The Streamliner".
That was the direct entrance to the cocktail lounge, btw. It is as original as the main restaurant entrance.

Interesting that both restaurant doors are both labeled "entrance". They were originally as "entrance" and "exit", signage that remained until pretty recently.

Maybe there are two entrances but no exit because it's California and so (according to the "Hotel California" song), you can check in but you can never leave.
default_mosking.gif

Yes, but a chance to eat in the old Harvey House, largely intact, is not one to miss.

I've been waiting to eat there since it closed in 1968, so 50 years is long enough. Wanted to when I was a kid, we went to Union Station a lot to pick up and drop off older relatives who traveled by train, but my parents said it was too expensive. Not going to let that stop me now. It looks like it will be pub food, so, while pricey for what it is, is shouldn't be that expensive on an absolute scale.

I appreciate you posting this! Being able to visit and patronize this new facility might be worth another trip to the West Coast.

They already need to expand the LA ML. It gets really packed in there when any of the LDs is about to go on top of all the Surfliner pax.

That ML also has really, really good (and really huge) chocolate chip cookies. Of course I never sneak one out on the train with me.
default_tongue.png

Back