Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Whitefish MT

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, ship travel, history, science, languages, old TV shows and commercials (pre-1970), American folk songs, and classic movies.

Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:05 AM

At the tail end of our Glacier NP vacation last week, we drove into Whitefish on our way back to Spokane.

The former Great Northern depot there is a gem.   It has three tenants:  Amtrak, a town historical museum, and various car rental agencies (one of which is oldest Hertz agency in the U.S.).  It's very clean and spacious inside.   Outside the architecture reminds you of the chalet-like GN lodges in Glacier Park.

The depot is within easy walking distance of many shops and eateries in the heart of the town.  Whitefish is a very trendy winter and summer destination.

Also by the depot are two railroad curiosities:  a rare NW3 switcher painted in a traditional GN scheme and the "Bruck."  The latter is a custom-built bus the GN used to shuttle passengers between Whitefish and nearby Kalispell in place of a "doodlebug."  Kalispell was bypassed circa 1904 when GN built a new mainline to the north of Kalispell.

I have traveled by train since 1956 in the USA (including Alaska), Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Western Europe, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Zimbabwe.
My last pre-Amtrak trip was the Texas Chief from Ft. Worth to Chicago and the Capitol Limited from Chicago (Northwestern station) to Washington D.C.
I rode my first Amtrak train in April 1972. I have ridden nearly all the long-distance routes including the Texas Chief (Lone Star), Inter-American, Panama Limited, National Limited, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Spirit of California, Sunset Limited (Florida extension), Broadway Limited, and Chief. I also rode the Rio Grande Zephyr, Southern Crescent, Peoria Rocket, Georgia RR mixed train, and Soo Line mixed train in the post-Amtrak era.

#2 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:06 PM

I have never stopped overnight in Whitefish, but you are tempting me...

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#3 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 09:54 AM

You want some good rates? Try the ski resort during the spring off-season; after the snow melts and the lifts stop running but before things warm up and dry up enough for summer activities. You may have to go through a broker, but you can find some real bargains. I forget exactly how much we paid in 2014, but my dad & I shared a two-bedroom condo with fireplace, living room and full kitchen for a week for less than what I would normally expect to pay for two nights in a Marriott or similar.

• oregon pioneer likes this

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#4 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted Today, 12:53 PM

You want some good rates? Try the ski resort during the spring off-season; after the snow melts and the lifts stop running but before things warm up and dry up enough for summer activities. You may have to go through a broker, but you can find some real bargains. I forget exactly how much we paid in 2014, but my dad & I shared a two-bedroom condo with fireplace, living room and full kitchen for a week for less than what I would normally expect to pay for two nights in a Marriott or similar.

But is it actually a good place to visit and enjoy at that time of year? 

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#5 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted Today, 02:26 PM

But is it actually a good place to visit and enjoy at that time of year? 

I may be biased here, having lived in the flathead valley before, but I would say that the shoulder season for tourists is a great time in the valley, as the locals are less stressed by visiting throngs at that time.

• cpotisch likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users