Hotel near Chicago Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a good thread to refresh since so many Amtrak travelers pass through Chicago. Keep it updated!
You can still update an old thread. If you keep everything regarding a specific topic in the same thread, you can still update it, and it's easier to see all the answers to the question.

I got the Palmer House for under $100 last year. Just get on your favorite hotel site and see what hotel looks the best to you.

While I have been able to get reasonable rates many times while traveling through Chicago, I am staying overnight Oct 28 and also Nov 4-6 and found many hotels "sold out" or charging premium prices so depending on the dates, downtown Chicago can be reasonable but also sometimes prohibitively expensive. Fortunately, I did make my reservations about six months in advance at a reasonably expensive rate. My regular hotels were either sold out or too expensive with rates approximately $350 to $450 nightly even then. I just checked to see if another hotel was available for Oct 28 and got a "because you are Diamond" we are sold out by can guarantee you a room at $483 for the night.

Last edited by a moderator:
About a month ago, I stayed at the Holiday Inn in downtown Chicago. It's a 5 minute walk (with rolling suitcase) south from Union Station. I booked it through the AGR web site (click 'earn' tab then 'hotels' along the left side) and got 400 points for a $150 one night stay (including taxes). I found the place surprisingly 'fresh' and clean. I didn't eat there as I spent my day & half joyriding Metra and the South Shore, so I don't know about their food. If it's raining light enough you're willing to walk in it, even if it's not, walk through the parking garage directly from the station, alongside west most track (I don't know what #, I'm guessing #2) and exit through the garage. It saves a block or so 'in the weather'.

As I've done in a couple of recent trips, I find the hotel I want to stay at using Google 'downtown chicago hotels', etc, then go to the AGR web site and book that hotel. Of note is that via AGR, they don't offer the senior discount rate...$5-10 in my 'under $200' price range at most hotels.

While I have been able to get reasonable rates many times while traveling through Chicago, I am staying overnight Oct 28 and also Nov 4-6 and found many hotels "sold out" or charging premium prices so depending on the dates, downtown Chicago can be reasonable but also sometimes prohibitively expensive. Fortunately, I did make my reservations about six months in advance at a reasonably expensive rate. My regular hotels were either sold out or too expensive with rates approximately $350 to $450 nightly even then. I just checked to see if another hotel was available for Oct 28 and got a "because you are Diamond" we are sold out by can guarantee you a room at $483 for the night.
IME, the NFL has a huge impact on downtown Chicago hotel prices over fall weekends. That being said, hotel prices have seemed awful high this year for the entire year.

Just a heads up for anyone looking to stay in downtown Chicago in the near future. There is a strike taking place at a number of hotels in the area. As of this writing, they are as follows-

Ambassador Chicago
Cambria Magnificent Mile
Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago-Metro
Doubletree Chicago Magnificent Mile
Drake Hotel

Hampton Inn / Homewood Suites Magnificent Mile
Hilton Chicago
Holiday Inn Mart Plaza
Hyatt Regency Chicago
Hyatt Regency McCormick Place

Inn of Chicago
Kinzie Hotel
Palmer House
Warwick Allerton
Wyndham Grand

In addition, the following hotels could face a strike at any time-

Fairmont Chicago
Hotel Raffaello

Park Hyatt Chicago
Tremont Chicago Hotel

None of these are really in close proximity to Union Station (save the Palmer House, and maybe the Hilton Chicago), but thought it ought to be mentioned.

From first-hand experience (attending my nephew's wedding reception at the JW Marriott, which was being struck at the time), I can tell you that the strikers are VERY LOUD, as one might expect, and having to walk through the line to attend the reception made for a few awkward moments, which one should also expect.

I hadn't heard about the strike until they actually walked out, which was the day before the wedding. According to hotel policy, it was too late for me to cancel my room without incurring a penalty, but after a 20 minute discussion with the manager, they finally relented.

IME, the NFL has a huge impact on downtown Chicago hotel prices over fall weekends. That being said, hotel prices have seemed awful high this year for the entire year.
That and college football (Northwestern, etc.).

Just a heads up for anyone looking to stay in downtown Chicago in the near future. There is a strike taking place at a number of hotels in the area. As of this writing, they are as follows-

Ambassador Chicago

Cambria Magnificent Mile

Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago-Metro

Doubletree Chicago Magnificent Mile

Drake Hotel

Hampton Inn / Homewood Suites Magnificent Mile

Hilton Chicago

Holiday Inn Mart Plaza

Hyatt Regency Chicago

Hyatt Regency McCormick Place

Inn of Chicago

Kinzie Hotel

Palmer House

Warwick Allerton

Wyndham Grand

In addition, the following hotels could face a strike at any time-

Fairmont Chicago

Hotel Raffaello

Park Hyatt Chicago

Tremont Chicago Hotel

None of these are really in close proximity to Union Station (save the Palmer House, and maybe the Hilton Chicago), but thought it ought to be mentioned.

From first-hand experience (attending my nephew's wedding reception at the JW Marriott, which was being struck at the time), I can tell you that the strikers are VERY LOUD, as one might expect, and having to walk through the line to attend the reception made for a few awkward moments, which one should also expect.

I hadn't heard about the strike until they actually walked out, which was the day before the wedding. According to hotel policy, it was too late for me to cancel my room without incurring a penalty, but after a 20 minute discussion with the manager, they finally relented.
Whoah. Is it normal employees at 14 different hotels in the same area be on strike at the same time?

The local union has contracts with all of these hotels. Among other things, the union is seeking health insurance to continue all year long. Many hotel employees are laid off during the slower winter months and their health insurance stops. Health concerns don't stop during these layoff periods, so the unions want the health insurance to reman in effect during the layoff periods. Mariott hotels have reached an agreement with the union and the strike against them has ended. Is this unusual? Not necessarily. I believe there have been similar strikes in Las Vegas. Many of these hotels are parts of chains.

I've always found reasonable rates - and clean and comfortable rooms - at the Club Quarters, 111 West Adams at Clark,

which is, I believe, one of the closest hotels to Union Station. Great restaurant adjacent too - the Elephant and Castle

Pub & Restaurant..

Don't know for sure, but it could be one of the reasons the hotel's rates are more reasonable here than at others is because

Club Quarters may be non-union.

IME, the NFL has a huge impact on downtown Chicago hotel prices over fall weekends.
How about when the Blackhawks have home games? They'll probably have about six times as many home games as the Bears and their rink is only about half as far away from Union Station as the football field. There's also the Bulls, Cubs and White Sox to think about.

IME, the NFL has a huge impact on downtown Chicago hotel prices over fall weekends.
How about when the Blackhawks have home games? They'll probably have about six times as many home games as the Bears and their rink is only about half as far away from Union Station as the football field. There's also the Bulls, Cubs and White Sox to think about.
I don't think there's as much competition for hotel rooms in Chicago between November and March/April. The weekend festivals, business conferences, and general tourism do tend to fall off after early November. If you're willing to brave the cold, downtown hotel prices have historically dropped by a lot. We like taking weekend jaunts there, but hotel prices have been painful this year.

It does not answer the original question, but i tend to stay out near ORD airport in Chicago for cheaper rooms, if I am not at the HI Hostel. The Blue line from the airport to Clinton, near Chicago Amtrak works for me...

Ed.

It does not answer the original question, but i tend to stay out near ORD airport in Chicago for cheaper rooms, if I am not at the HI Hostel. The Blue line from the airport to Clinton, near Chicago Amtrak works for me...

Ed.
I've done that with hotels near midway. It's a pain but you can take the orange line all the way to the terminal and then catch a free hotel shuttle.

Also you can take the Metra out to Schaumburg, lots of hotels around the mall out there and some offer a free shuttle to the Metra station.

I am dubious of chasing around the suburbs on Metra for a hotel. In any case, do not go to the Schaumburg station, there is no there there. Better, are Itasca or Roselle which are actual towns at the station. Hotels nearby are closer than Woodfield's area. Finally, a ticket to Schaumburg is more than the other two. In the suburbs travel expense makes it a wash with staying downtown and the amenities found there...come on live it up.

Downtown, the hotel strike is down to 9 hotels and even they are not really impacted for guests. I was at the Hilton on Michigan Ave when the picketing started(which was noisy) and there was no impact on hotel/restaurant operations. Hilton has settled now. Be sure and try the riverboat dinner cruise-$125 per... Just started up.

In general I agree. But there have been times when downtown hotels were all in the $3-400 range. Metra doesn't cost that much! Ha.

I am dubious of chasing around the suburbs on Metra for a hotel. In any case, do not go to the Schaumburg station, there is no there there. Better, are Itasca or Roselle which are actual towns at the station. Hotels nearby are closer than Woodfield's area. Finally, a ticket to Schaumburg is more than the other two. In the suburbs travel expense makes it a wash with staying downtown and the amenities found there...come on live it up.
I agree, having lived in Schaumburg for 3 years. The Schaumburg Metra station is way over on the other side of the village (opposite the Woodfield Mall side). You're better off staying at one of the airport hotels near ORD. At least there is CTA service directly from ORD to downtown. There are a couple of hotels near the Woodfield Mall side if that's what you're looking for. In that case, you;'d be better off taking the Metra "Union Pacific Northewst line (UP-NW)" (formerly C & NW Northwest line) to the Palatine Station and getting a taxi or Uber down. Either that, or Arlington Heights.

It was years ago, but I remember taking Metra to a stop one or 2 stops before Schaumburg and a hotel shuttle would pick me up / drop me off. The hotel was right next to the mall. I'm remembering it as a 5-10 minute shuttle ride.

As I said, I usually stay downtown. But it's nice to have options.

Back