Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

JFK Airtrain <--> Subway

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 26 September 2018 - 01:17 PM

Yes...that looks like you are outside of either fare control area, but it is set up that way so that you don't get a free transfer between the AirTrain and the subway...apparently, as per DoB, there is no other way to get into that "in-between" area from the outside...

I suppose it is in a way similar to the Newark Airport AirTrainl/NJT station, in that you have to get there either on the AirTrain, or an NJT train. with no other access, except some way to reach special shuttle buses sometimes substituting for the AirTrain during maintenance....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#22 DoB

DoB

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 01:41 PM

That area is reachable for free from the Howard Beach neighborhood west of the subway tracks, but not from the JFK parking lot east of the subway tracks.

This mezzanine is the only pedestrian access across the subway tracks between North Conduit Avenue and Jamaica Bay, and the AirTrain fare gates impose a $5 fee to make that crossing.

#23 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 26 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

Yes, that you can do. But you can't get from the parking lot to the area you're standing in without paying $5.

Sorry, I'm still confused. Can you or can you not get to the A train without paying $5? So if you were get off the AirTrain at Lefferts Blvd, walk to Howard Beach, and get on the A train, would you have to pay the $5 AirTrain fare no matter what, or not? Sorry if this was explained and/or is incredibly obvious.

Edited by cpotisch, 26 September 2018 - 02:56 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#24 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 26 September 2018 - 05:21 PM

To clarify it...you can't get from the "airport side" into that area unless you go thru the AirTrain fare gates.   You can get from the "city side"  (Howard Beach) into that area, and then pay to enter the AirTrain or Subway.   To get from the airport side to Howard Beach would take a VERY long roundabout hike....I checked Google Maps, and it looks like about 1.7 miles...via Lefferts Blvd, N. Conduit Av, Cohancy St, 155th Av, 102nd St, 158th Av, and 103rd St.....

You have to realize, the planner's foresaw some people trying to beat the fare, and planned accordingly.... ;)

For example, if you wanted to park your car in the airport long term lot, and then take the subway to Manhattan, you would have to pay $5. Air Train fare to walk out of the AirTrain area into that area, and then pay your subway fare.   In addition to the parking charges...

Edited by railiner, 26 September 2018 - 05:23 PM.

• DoB and cpotisch like this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#25 DoB

DoB

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:07 PM

Exactly. Entering or exiting airport property at the Howard Beach station costs $5. Entering the subway costs the usual $2.75. (So the direct fare gates from AirTrain to the subway deduct $7.75.) Everything else is free (including riding AirTrain to or from long term parking at Howard Beach).

Aside from the subway fare, none of this has changed since the day the AirTrain system opened in 2003.
  • cpotisch likes this

#26 DoB

DoB

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:02 PM

To add - for anybody determined to walk from AirTrain to the A train to avoid paying the $5 fee, this is the shortest walking route: https://goo.gl/maps/dQHSpE9y8PD2

It's a mile. I did it once, just to say I did it, without luggage. It wasn't pleasant, and I wouldn't want to do it with luggage, or at all in the heat or rain or snow.

If you want to avoid paying $5 and you have a MetroCard with at least $2.75 on it, one of the buses (Q10 Limited or B15 from Lefferts Blvd, or Q3, Q10 Limited/local, or B15 from Terminal 5) is almost certainly a better bet.

• railiner likes this

#27 GBNorman

GBNorman

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Retired CPA; employed within railroad industry 1970-81

Posted 27 September 2018 - 06:59 AM

On a '15 visit to my Niece in Brooklyn (Bay Ridge area), Subway/Air Train R Line 86th to JFK, worked just fine for me. At $7, it sure beat the $75 "stuck in a Beltway traffic jam" taxicab on the way in.

#28 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:27 AM

On a '15 visit to my Niece in Brooklyn (Bay Ridge area), Subway/Air Train R Line 86th to JFK, worked just fine for me. At $7, it sure beat the $75 "stuck in a Beltway traffic jam" taxicab on the way in.

Sorry, how did you take the R to JFK?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#29 Skunky

Skunky

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:30 AM

R to Jay Street-Metrotech, transfer to the Rockaway bound A, would be my guess.

#30 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:20 AM

R to Jay Street-Metrotech, transfer to the Rockaway bound A, would be my guess.

The R doesn't go to 86th, though.

#31 DoB

DoB

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 12:34 PM

It goes to one of the six stations named 86 St. (Well, five, temporarily.)

#32 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:56 PM

It goes to one of the six stations named 86 St. (Well, five, temporarily.)

Oh, right. Sorry.

Edited by cpotisch, 28 September 2018 - 06:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users