Additional MSP - CHI train viable, study finds

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jebr

Enthusiastic Transit Rider
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
"The Last Great City of the East," St. Paul, MN
From the Star Tribune (Minneapolis, MN):

Adding a second daily passenger train between St. Paul’s Union Depot and downtown Chicago, a proposal that has been bandied about for many years, would likely cost from $137 million to $169 million. But it’s unclear at this point how the project would be funded, and by whom, says a new study.

A sneak peek of the study’s findings was provided last week to the Ramsey County Regional Railroad Authority by rail planners from the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT), although the final version has not been made public.

Still, reviews from the board were positive, and several commissioners called for the Legislature to cough up some cash to move the project forward.
Read more here.

Cost from $137 million to $169 million.

Thats a large pile of money. Must include capital expenses for improvement to the infrastructure.

Now where is the revenue numbers?

What is the operating cost?

Love to see the details of these cost.

The result of the Wisconsin governor's race could help this along, as I think Governor Walker would need to be out of office before Wisconsin contributed any money to this service.

The result of the Wisconsin governor's race could help this along, as I think Governor Walker would need to be out of office before Wisconsin contributed any money to this service.
We'll see in November. I remember that the platform Walker ran on was to reject the stimulus that would have expanded Amtrak service. Work actually started on a Milwaukee-Madison train, also plans were in effect to replace the Tomah train station and make it a mini-mall.....Walgreen's was already on board with that plan. This was all in addition to a second CHI-MSP train. If Walker wins a third term, you can pretty much forget Wisconsin contributing any money towards the proposition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cost from $137 million to $169 million.

Thats a large pile of money. Must include capital expenses for improvement to the infrastructure.

Now where is the revenue numbers?

What is the operating cost?

Love to see the details of these cost.
Well, this isn't the full study, just a blurb on it. I think there's been a previous study of some sort (these things do keep going around rather than going anywhere...sigh...).

Bear in mind that total would include two trainsets, which would probably be about a third of the cost (give or take). $100-120m for other capex for the route is pretty routine (you probably have a few sidings, crossovers, or other improvements in there...and of course, if any of this involves bridges, that inherently gets expensive).

Walker has made a lot of enemies (by being wildly corrupt, looting the state in every way he can think of, and failing to provide for basic needs), so here's hoping he finally gets kicked out. He was backed by enormous amounts of out-of-state money, *three times*, in order to barely hang on by the skin of his teeth, and I keep expecting the out-of-state backers to figure out that he was a bad investment. They have other races to throw their money at now (like the Senate race that Ted Cruz is about to lose in Texas).

Walker has made a lot of enemies (by being wildly corrupt, looting the state in every way he can think of, and failing to provide for basic needs), so here's hoping he finally gets kicked out. He was backed by enormous amounts of out-of-state money, *three times*, in order to barely hang on by the skin of his teeth, and I keep expecting the out-of-state backers to figure out that he was a bad investment. They have other races to throw their money at now (like the Senate race that Ted Cruz is about to lose in Texas).
Let's hope both of these are Correct along with another Crooked Scott,Gov. Rick in Florida!

Let's hope both of these are Correct along with another Crooked Scott,Gov. Rick in Florida!
Rick Scott is done as governor in FL. He's running for U.S. Senate.

Rick Scott is done as governor in FL. He's running for U.S. Senate.
Yep, and he should go down in flames too!

Back