Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Checking up on Amtrak's (lack of) ADA compliance

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 NTL1991

NTL1991

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 05:44 PM

One stop east of Westerly, we have issues with Kingston too...

Despite spending over $40 million for full high-level platforms in Kingston, Rhode Island, the station building owner, RIDOT, still has not addressed one major issue. None of the four entrance doors (large 8 tall wooden doors) to the station do not have any automatic openers. A mobility impaired passenger in a wheelchair or other mobility device would find it very difficult, if not impossible to open these doors to gain shelter, use the restrooms, or request assistance from the Amtrak ticket agent. They even renovated the bathrooms during this time to make them ADA compliant. How in the world could they forget the main entrances to the station!?

The enclosed shelters at the bottoms of the elevator shafts to the overpass also had the same issue. They installed two standard metal/glass commercial doors with no openers, impeding entrance to the elevators... It took months before they broke down and installed a couple Stanley openers and some operator buttons. I believe that one was on Amtrak Engineering, but the plans and specs involved RIDOT too.

Im emailing the local congressman about this issue now.
  • neroden and daybeers like this

#42 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 30 September 2018 - 10:43 PM

I'm emailing the local congressman about this issue now.

Props for that! I would try contacting RIDOT also.

• NTL1991 and neroden like this

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

#43 NTL1991

NTL1991

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:53 AM

I'm emailing the local congressman about this issue now.

Props for that! I would try contacting RIDOT also.

Done! Lets see what they say.
  • me_little_me and daybeers like this

#44 NTL1991

NTL1991

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:13 AM

Well I have to hand it to them... Sent the email on Thursday (didnt receive a reply yet), and the property manager from RIDOT is here with a contractor going over installation options. Kudos to them for the quick response...

Well see how long itll take to get them installed.
  • daybeers likes this

#45 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:46 AM

Just the update that I promised on the Windsor station:

Right now, they are working on the parking lot end and have the ramp blocked off, so you can't go to the platform from there. Other than that, the platform is still the same bricks that have always been there, and I didn't see anything new for ADA compliance. So it looks like they are still in the beginning stages of working on things there.

When we came in, we came in on the new track 2--there may very well have been a ramp or some type of wheelchair access there, but it wasn't obvious to me. I will take a better look on Saturday when I take CTrail from there to the RUN meeting in Springfield.

• daybeers and cpotisch like this

#46 bratkinson

bratkinson

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:34 AM

Just the update that I promised on the Windsor station:

Right now, they are working on the parking lot end and have the ramp blocked off, so you can't go to the platform from there. Other than that, the platform is still the same bricks that have always been there, and I didn't see anything new for ADA compliance. So it looks like they are still in the beginning stages of working on things there.

When we came in, we came in on the new track 2--there may very well have been a ramp or some type of wheelchair access there, but it wasn't obvious to me. I will take a better look on Saturday when I take CTrail from there to the RUN meeting in Springfield.

We came in to Windsor last night on track 2 as well.   I'm completely sure, but I think I saw a wheelchair lift mechanism perhaps 10 feet or so south of the south end of the new concrete platform.  I'm wondering if they are planning on getting a shed for it like Windsor Locks to ensure it doesn't roll away on its own (ie, grow legs).

• daybeers likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users