Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Thank you AU

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:59 AM

Hello everyone! Today marks one year since I first posted on Amtrak Unlimited, and I just want to say how much I appreciate all of you for help me over this past year. I know that I'm not the easiest person to put up with and be patient with, especially when I'm asking too many questions or posting too much, so I really do appreciate the fact that almost all of you have been so friendly and welcoming to me all along.

I first joined AU September last year, merely wanting advice for my upcoming first ever coast to coast train trip - the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited from Pomona to Chicago connecting to the Lake Shore Limited from Chicago to NYP. Shortly after joining, I posted a few threads with a few questions about this trip, but below is my first one ever, in the "Views from Texas Eagle" thread:

Hello everybody!
I just booked a February trip with my dad from Pomona to New York City via Eagle #422 and LSL #48. I was wondering what the best scenery will be on the Sunset/Eagle so I know when to be in the SSL or bottom bunk of our roomette (for the window). Obviously the Eagle is not Amtrak's prettiest train, but I've been wanting to take it for a while and know that it's not all ugly.
Thanks in advance for your help!

This trip is also why I chose a shot of the Texas Eagle passing  through Dallas for my profile picture.

TexasEagleDallasTX-e1523412144292.jpg

I couldn't possibly imagine when I first joined Amtrak Unlimited that it would become such a huge part of my life, and though that train trip ended seven months ago, I still come here basically every day. So I really just want to say, thank you everyone for making this community so amazing and so important to me. 

TLDR: Thanks guys! :)

Edited by cpotisch, 08 October 2018 - 04:50 PM.

• pennyk, Misty., Devil's Advocate and 6 others like this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#2 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:04 PM

You're welcome! Glad to have you on board, and looking forward to meeting you and whoever tags along from your family later this week!

• pennyk and cpotisch like this

#3 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:55 PM

Glad you're here!! Don't worry about asking too many questions. I think of some simple wisdom my grandfather imparted to me over 40 years ago: "You can't learn any younger". So ask away!!
  • cpotisch likes this
Amtrak Miles and Trains Traveled: 89811-City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, Cascades, Crescent, Capital Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited,  Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal, Vermonter, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Heartland Flyer, Wolverine. 
Pre-Amtrak Miles Traveled: 8478-- North Coast Limited, Panama Limited, Empire Builder, Abraham Lincoln, City of Hinkle

#4 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 23 September 2018 - 01:00 PM

Always enjoy your posts and looking forward to meeting you in your town next weekend!
  • oregon pioneer and cpotisch like this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#5 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 23 September 2018 - 02:46 PM

Glad you are here! I enjoy your enthusiasm and your dedication to good food and fun activities (including, of course, train travel).

• cpotisch likes this

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#6 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:49 PM

Asking too many questions?  No, one cannot do so.  Regardless of one's age and experiences, one is never too old to learn.  And, as a former educator, I had more respect for my students who did ask questions.  And, even more respect for those whose questions caused me to spend time doing research and learning more myself.

• cpotisch likes this

#7 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,043 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:09 PM

Asking too many questions?  No, one cannot do so.  Regardless of one's age and experiences, one is never too old to learn.  And, as a former educator, I had more respect for my students who did ask questions.  And, even more respect for those whose questions caused me to spend time doing research and learning more myself.

Intelligence promotes curiosity which can lead to wisdom when nurtured with knowledge.

• daybeers likes this

#8 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:48 AM

You obviously don't realize your life has been totally corrupted by this group of people, myself included!  LOL....It is a pleasure to have you here with us.

• AmtrakBlue, daybeers and cpotisch like this

#9 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,727 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:03 AM

Good to have you among us, and I think you are a fast learner which makes it a positive experience overall for all. Looking forward to many more delightful discussions about trains.
  • pennyk, daybeers and cpotisch like this

#10 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:22 AM

I agree with everyone else above--it is wonderful to have you on AU. :) You are a bright young man, willing and eager to learn, and questions are always fine. And on here, you have some of the finest teachers of the train world. Also, you will eventually find the best balance of posting--it takes a while. (I am still not particularly good at it--I just figure if no one answers me, they aren't reading what I wrote, and I am just talking to myself! :P)

(I hope you and your guest will be doing the Saturday activities--it's the only day I can come, and I am looking forward to meeting you in person! :))

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 24 September 2018 - 09:50 AM.

• RSG, daybeers and cpotisch like this

#11 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:35 AM

Thanks y'all. :)

• daybeers likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#12 CrazyTrain

CrazyTrain

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:37 PM

I'm a bit late and still rather new here, but congrats on your anniversary and I hope to fit in with all you experienced people in a month.

• cpotisch likes this

#13 Ronbo

Ronbo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:49 PM

If you are actually only 16 years old and in high school, how on earth do you manage to post to almost every thread in this forum, seemingly 24 hours a day? Are you some kind of SuperHero? ‼️ 🤔😎

Edited by Ronbo, 24 September 2018 - 02:50 PM.

#14 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 03:17 PM

If you are actually only 16 years old and in high school, how on earth do you manage to post to almost every thread in this forum, seemingly 24 hours a day? Are you some kind of SuperHero? ‼️

Thank you?

#15 NEPATrainTraveler

NEPATrainTraveler

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 03:39 PM

Congrats on your one year anniversary!  :)

• cpotisch likes this

#16 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts
  • Interests:Travel, antiques, reading, pinochle, grandkids

Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:42 AM

It's great having you here. We now know you are an young energetic, intelligent, level-headed foodie. Add me to the list of people who enjoy reading your posts.
  • oregon pioneer, cpotisch and NEPATrainTraveler like this

Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha, Capitol Corridor, Maple Leaf, Ethan Allen Express 76,745 Amtrak miles.    Via Rail Vancouver to Toronto 2775 Miles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users