Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

This Train Station Doesn't Access a Railway

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Woodcut60

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains; Amtrak; American Railroad History

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:32 AM

Thought this might be of interest to some of you. And a question: Are there any stations like this in North America?

https://interestinge...-access-railway

Amtrak Routes Traveled: Lake Shore Limited, California Zephyr, San Joaquin, Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Cardinal, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Southwest Chief, Hiawatha, City of New Orleans, Texas Eagle, Heartland Flyer, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln, Wolverine, Northeast Regional, Acela Express, Downeaster, Vermonter, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Capitol Limited, Pennsylvanian, Amtrak Cascades, Maple Leaf, Adirondack, Ethan Allen Express, Keystone, Carolinian, Piedmont.
Other Routes in North America: Denali Star (Anchorage-Fairbanks, Alaska Railroad), The Ocean (Halifax-Montréal), Corridor (Montréal-Toronto), The Canadian (Toronto-Vancouver).
Amtrak: approx. 29,000 miles and 47 states; VIA Rail Canada: approx. 4,300 miles and eight provinces.

#2 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 23 September 2018 - 02:00 PM

Interesting story!

I would now like to see the train station in Alexandria that should look like a house, if the tale is true...  :D

I seem to remember calling at a large train station at Barstow when on the Amtrak bus to Vegas, to pick up a passenger. No passenger trains there I think, although probably there were once, and still on a freight line now...

Ed.

Edited by caravanman, 23 September 2018 - 02:03 PM.

#3 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:18 PM

I seem to remember calling at a large train station at Barstow when on the Amtrak bus to Vegas, to pick up a passenger. No passenger trains there I think, although probably there were once, and still on a freight line now...

Ed.

This  one? :)

https://www.loc.gov/...otos?st=gallery

• caravanman likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#4 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:29 AM

There used to be a railroad in Switzerland between Zug and Aegeri. It was narrow gauge and electrified. I think it closed in the 1960s or so when the original rolling stock was life expired, and was replaced by buses. But for many years after that it continued to act like a railroad. Most of the station buildings were retained. The ticket offices just sold bus tickets instead of train tickets and passengers could wait in the comfortable station waiting rooms rather than some draughty bus shelter. They even continued to move different types of freight, in special trailers pulled by the buses.

This didn't really end until the 1980s or thereabouts, when it all started to gradually slip into being a normal bus service.

• caravanman likes this

#5 Woodcut60

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains; Amtrak; American Railroad History

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:02 AM

@cirdan: Interesting! Thanks for posting.

Amtrak Routes Traveled: Lake Shore Limited, California Zephyr, San Joaquin, Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Cardinal, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Southwest Chief, Hiawatha, City of New Orleans, Texas Eagle, Heartland Flyer, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln, Wolverine, Northeast Regional, Acela Express, Downeaster, Vermonter, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Capitol Limited, Pennsylvanian, Amtrak Cascades, Maple Leaf, Adirondack, Ethan Allen Express, Keystone, Carolinian, Piedmont.
Other Routes in North America: Denali Star (Anchorage-Fairbanks, Alaska Railroad), The Ocean (Halifax-Montréal), Corridor (Montréal-Toronto), The Canadian (Toronto-Vancouver).
Amtrak: approx. 29,000 miles and 47 states; VIA Rail Canada: approx. 4,300 miles and eight provinces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users